Problem - down on power.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem - down on power.
Question 
Morning,

My dad has a 306hdi estate, this morning driving down to work the engine managment light came on, he could still drive the car but it wouldn't rev over 2.5k so he had to litrally limp it.

I know he hasn't serviced it in a long while so the fuel filter could be a factor but He had no turbo spool either which is concerning, it was completely down on power. Any idea's?
306 HDi Dturbo- China Blue

Thanks given by:
I'd say MAF sensor. Unplug it, should see a difference - if so, replace it.
Thanks given by:
Not revving over 2.5k is limp mode, so turbo will be turned off. It doesn't necessarily mean the turbo is knackered.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
he has used my uncles generic code reader, came up something to do with fueling (im not with him as i'm at work myself so i couldnt get the code), cleared it and took it for a drive, seemed to have sorted itself. Told him to get the thing serviced though! as that can't be helping running on a probably collapsed fuel filter and shi* oil.
306 HDi Dturbo- China Blue

Thanks given by:
(05-11-2013, 09:12 AM)vlj Wrote: I'd say MAF sensor. Unplug it, should see a difference - if so, replace it.
I don't think a maf issue would cause the limp mode ( it doesn't on the early one plug ecu's but not sure on the three plug type), it's usually a fuel system problem that does.
Thanks given by:
The maf sensor can trigger the engine light, but only on the very early hdi's and only if you unplug the maf. I'd be very surprised if this was maf related.

As andywhy says - revs limited to 2.5k is limp mode. It won't shut down the turbo as the turbo on these isn't ecu-controlled, but it will cut the fuelling to the point where the turbo won't make any boost.

Clogged fuel filter can cause this issue, would definitely make that my first port of call if your uncle isn't a fan of regular servicing. As deeturbo says, limp mode on these is usually caused by fuelling issues.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lack of power... Turbo problem maybe? Moh 10 2,002 23-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Poodle