Lazy/slow actuator or wastegate?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lazy/slow actuator or wastegate?
I have an intermittent issue where my boost seems to vary every gear. Some times when it boosts it will boost hard then other times it feels held back, as if the wastegates slow to react or sticking open on occasions. Iv only been driving it for a few weeks so unsure of wether its just a characteristic of the car or a possible fault. Its a stage 1 hdi, straight through exhaust with the k03 turbo and thats all im so far aware off, as always any help or people experiencing the same sharing there veiws would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks given by:
Far as I no turbos boost at the same rpm which ever gear there in ?
Thanks given by:
It boosts at roughly the same rpm, just the power generated when it does is never the same. Very inconsistent even if i string together the gears keeping it in the boost, but if i let it drop out of boost and then stamp on it, it seams to be more lively?
Thanks given by:
If its the same as the xud first and second gear you don't get much happening tbh, but after that the turbo works harder giving more of a kick when hitting on boost.
Thanks given by:
Iv got myself a manual boost controller to see if it helps any, the extra boost may help slightly, any one have any pointers on fitting one? I have a hdi with a k03 turbo, cant seem to find a useful guides pointing out which pipe exactly im supposed to be cutting.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a tps problem more than anything.

To fit a manual boost controller you need to T into the wastegate actuator feed, there's only the one pipe to T into so it shouldn't be too hard to work out. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Hmm first problem would be the ko3.. Id update for the k14 or T2
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2013, 11:33 PM)underground375 Wrote: Hmm first problem would be the ko3.. Id update for the k14 or T2

Dont think you can put those on hdi...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
It's me playing the dumb card!! I was thinking about the gt15.
Thanks given by:
Lol "update" to a T2..! Remind me never to ask you for the time, i'll probably get told it's the 4th June 1963. :p

The k03 and gt15 are much of a muchness tbh, I doubt even ruan would be able to tell the difference from driving the car. Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
PSI varies gear to gear as far as I've experienced give or take a few PSI from what I've found.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
The variation off harshness in boost is alot, even passengers iv had have noticed, the lag is always the same, power wise and spool time wise. when i boost if i lift off and back on the throttle sometimes more boost can be achieved, my reasons for thinking either a lazy actuator or sticky wastegate (which i forgot to previously mention) is lately iv noticed a metallic jingling which sounds like the exhaust on idle which iv come across before and turned out being an insecure wastegate? What other turbos would be a staight swap with mine then? That require no mods to fit?
Thanks given by:
GT15 and KO3 are the two standard turbos fitted to DW10's.

If you don't need the car on the road ASAP then there are better options to consider.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Sounds like possible MAF to me - unplug the MAF and see if things improve or get worse.

HDis don't actually see boost pressure - only a airflow figure and therefore able to calculate how much air is going into the engine... So the actual pressure isn't important - sounds like the airflow sensor is talking shite - also, check your air filter.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Either maf or tps, I'd start with ruans suggestion of unplugging the maf, it's free. Also if you can, I'd get it plugged in and check the fault codes.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Ruan's got a good point there, didn't think of that. As Jonny says, may as well try unplugging the maf first since it's free to do.

I've not heard of a wg coming loose before, could be i guess, don't see how lifting off and reapplying throttle would change anything though...

Direct fit for the hdi, you've got either the k03 or the gt15, that's it i'm afraid. Or Jonny's gt20 set up. lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yea it was a strange one, i done abit of research and found some guy who lost all boost to find after removal of the turbo the wastegate missing.... Later found in his cat lol. Iv run my diagnostic kit on it and found no faults. It doesn't feel like the maf, but i will give it a try tomorrow non the less. Best way to describe it is if i done 10 runs of 30 to 70 in forth for instance and i would only achieved reasonable boost half of the runs, a few feeling like no boost at all. Maybe im becoming to obsessed with it being a boosting problem and maybe look at something like the maf. What figures should i be seeing in live data? Flow and temp?
Thanks given by:
Ok so it's probably not the tps then. Iat should be within a couple of degrees of your temp gauge on the oem clock, flow i'm not sure i'm afraid.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Unplugged maf and still the same, im beginning to to get the impression now it could possibly be a poor map.
Thanks given by:
Where did you get the map from?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I bought it like it but im trying to find out. Fitted boost gauge it boosts at 15psi or just over but the initial spike before the wg opens varies, i hit over 25 at one point which surely cant be right.
Thanks given by:
Could well be on the money then fella, there's not much beyond a sticky wg/actuator that would cause that.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Hmmmm il have a quick look to see what decent priced turbos are around
Cheers mate
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wastegate actuator DeeTurbo 1 1,175 17-11-2016, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  slow hdi tysonbully2k12 10 3,259 06-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Last Post: tysonbully2k12