HDi Stage 2 Tuning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDi Stage 2 Tuning
Was wondering if i could remap my ecu to stage 2 with out first having stage 1. Is it really essential to have a fmic for stage 2??

Any ideas would be good

Thanks
Thanks given by:
you can map straght to stg two but i advise against it as the turbo wont last long and some say the clutch will shit itself in notime

i suggest reading the guides in the "guides" section there are some good ones written by Dum-Dum on the HDi tunning stage's
Thanks given by:
Ah right ok, is that mainly because of the higher exhaust gas temps?? i was led to believe that with a stage 2 i could use the standard turbo anyway.

Thanks
Thanks given by:
You can use the standard turbo, but you would need a fmic and uprated clutch

Here is one of the basic guides

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-34.html
Thanks given by:
Great thanks guys for your help!! That's answered my questions. Im still used to having the good old bosch fuel pump and giving that a tweak.
Recommendations on the best/easiest fmic to get/fit.

Thanks
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2013, 12:29 PM)mattgreene Wrote: Great thanks guys for your help!! That's answered my questions. Im still used to having the good old bosch fuel pump and giving that a tweak.
Recommendations on the best/easiest fmic to get/fit.

Thanks

It's a bit of a mish mash of bits you need really, as there is no off the shelf kit for a 306.

I have just about finished collecting all the bits i need to do mine.

I have a universal twinpass intercooler and i have got the 406 inlet elbow and the c5 bottom pipe and a selection of silicone bends and clamps to join it all up.
As well as a pair of slim line cooling fans to replace the standard ones.

If you look round on here plenty of people have done it, and everyone does it a slightly different way what ever is easiest/best for you really.
Thanks given by:
Ok then, getting bits shouldn't be a problem as im a agricultural fitter so we have plenty of pipes and hoses at our disposal. I'll start collecting tomorrow then!!

Thanks
Thanks given by:
There are two pipes you need from a 406/c5, funnily enough i've just picked up both at the scrapyard this morning, so if you need them drop me a pm. Smile
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ok then im still deciding whether im gonna go stage 2 or just leave it a stage 1 with a decat and straight through exhaust.
I must admit tho the lack of smoke is a bit disappointing i did like it when the phase 1 with the bosch pump filled the road with black smoke lol so if you know any way of getting a bit more fuel in the engine then please let me know!!!!

Thanks
Thanks given by:
These engines don't work the same way dt's do, if you've got that much smoke on an hdi you'll be killing it.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I guessed as much, one the plus side at least you know that the HDi will start ok normally my dt's would eat glow plugs for breakfast so i never knew if it was gonna start.
On a different topic how common is it for the little rubber hose on the turbo to split and leak?? it just sounds like i've got a boost leak that's all

Thanks
Thanks given by:
It's fairly rare, but that's not to say it doesn't happen.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
If you do have a boost leak, it's usually the seal from the boost pipe that runs the top of the engine at the back. Have a look around there?
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
I've made a new gasket for that joint, so it doesn't leak now :-) just when your driving around 2250-3000 rpm the turbo sounds really loud but then again ill have to have a good look to see if the exhaust is blowing around the joint.

Thanks for your help so far chaps
Thanks given by:
After what you've said in the the thread, i'm not sure it's the turbo you're hearing. Can you describe the noise?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
When you drive along around the 2250-3000 rpm when the turbos on full boost, it sound like a boost leak but as soon as you reach 3000 rpm it goes quiet. I need to lie underneath with a light and some washing up liquid to see if its leaking, unless you know of something diffrent.
But the noise is the same as on the dturbo engines when the 'church window' seal blows on the top intercooler.
Thanks given by:
So it's a hissing sound? The reason we're asking is because theres no reason for a boost leak to start at 2250 and stop at 3000, doesn't make any sense. However, injector tick would do exactly that, its quite a different noise though, so... Confused
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
thats fair enough now you say it like that it makes sense, god knows what i was thinking, im sure your right about the injectors. what makes them tick like that then??
Thanks given by:
You were thinking though, that's never a bad thing. Wink There's a few different theories bandied around, none of which seem to have much in the way of evidence behind them. The general consensus seems to be that it's down to worn needles - the bit of the injector that moves back and forth to control fuel injection.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
not too much of a issue then, thanks for the help, btw thinking only occurs on sundays and mondays after that its a little dodgy to think too hard!!!
Thanks given by:
Not really, when it gets really bad it can cause issues with fuel pressure and cutting out, but i daresay you'll notice that lol.

And snap on the thinking. lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
the only time i really think is in the week when i have to keep out of the snap on van lol
Thanks given by:
Yup, every tuesday morning, all of the shiny!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
spend far much money, im sure ull agree with me! just thought of another question, could i just put all the standard 406 hdi fmic pipes cooler etc on then stage 2 or isnt it a big enough cooler??
Thanks given by:
Haha yeah, trying to justify an electric windy gun to myself atm.

The 406 cooler isn't considered big enough, some of the standard piping is useful though. There's a few more threads in the guide section that will give you more of an idea.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
thats what i suspected!! my snap on man has a few good deals on trade in's i got one that was 6 months old for £350 Smile deal or what??!!
Thanks given by: