Coolant pre-heater

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coolant pre-heater
When I touch my recirculate button, the air-con also comes on automatically. Does anyone else get this?
Thanks given by:
Yep it's supposed to do that, turn the recirculation on then the ac off.
Thanks given by:
i tried to get the numbers from the origional plugs of a local pug dealer i deal with, they only list it as a complete unit with the plugs how ever it was missing from stock. so he couldnt see if any numbers were on the old ones.
if anyone comes accross any measurements for them i should hopefully be able to match it / i will order a few into work and can measure them.
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2013, 12:24 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(22-11-2013, 08:02 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: But if you hit your recirculate button and your aircon doesn't work you're likely to mist up the windows.

Sorry how?

The recirculate flap only changes where it draws air from and its relative temperature (or smell)

...and its humidity...
Thanks given by:
As above, air con dehumidifies the air (hence it needing the drain on the bulkhead to dump the water). Lower humidity allows the air to heat up quicker (humid air is more dense) and stops the windows steaming up, that's why the AC comes on with the recirculate function, and in most cars if you turn the dial to 'windscreen only' it'll bring the AC on as well. If you recirculate warm damp air then that moisture will keep condensing on the windows without the AC working and the heaters will still take a while to fully heat the air.

Obviously it will stop eventually, as there are air ducts at the rear end to allow 'used' air out, but the AC makes the process much quicker.
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2013, 01:15 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Yep it's supposed to do that... .

Really useful! Thanks Smile
Thanks given by:
Ah it all makes sense, cheers Tom!

I've picked up a couple of these preheaters yesterday, so will be pulling the plugs out and seeing if we can get part numbers and measurements for them.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Also interested in the part numbers for these if you manage to find them alex Smile
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
No can do on a part number as they aren't sold individually - had confirmation of this direct from the uk distributors for beru and ngk. All you can do is buy the whole unit direct from peugeot at the bargain price of £172...

I've compared them to a dt plug and they're not the same, however they are close enough for us to use the dt plugs without many issues. The only bit that really needs modification is the little link that splits the power supply between each pair, the plugs are a good few mm longer and are angled outwards at the top, so the link needs to be a bit longer. From memory there shouldn't be any clearance issues down there, but will confirm once i've test fitted a set. Will get some measurements too.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Good news in a way there mate.

Might have to get myself a couple of sets of DT plugs and fit my second one.
Thanks given by:
Right, measurements on the standard plug for the pre-heater:
Tip: 28.5mm
Shoulder: 4mm
Thread: 11.5mm
(M12x1.25)
Body: 23mm (only part exposed when installed)
Total length: 67mm

Body hex: 12mm
Top nut: 8mm

Dt plug measurements:

Tip: 24mm
Shoulder: 7mm
Thread: 14mm
Body: 27.5mm
Total length: 71.5mm
Protruding plug when installed: 33.5mm

Thread and hex sizes the same as above.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
What is the sizes of the standard HDi glow plugs, would they be a better fit?
Thanks given by:
Have we checked the current usage on these... I'm slightly concerned that the proper DT glow plugs are going to be a bit violent for it...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Is there a part number or a maker on the plugs?
Thanks given by:
As said before, part number is a dead end - they're not supplied independently - and the hdi plugs are miles off. Maker is beru.

Good shout Ruan, I can't see them being much different, but checking first is probably a good idea lol, i'll do that and report back when i've got some spare time.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Part numbers for coolant pre-heater plugs if you want to have a pop, Chris:

AET: 11 721 068
BERU: 0 100 226 374

[attachment=12494]

Daft question, but how do i check the current flow through these?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I have the housing with plugs sitting in my toolbox at work i took of a 206 1.6hdi. Look in fairly good nick. Would these be any good?
Thanks given by:
You tell me lol, how big are they?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(06-01-2014, 05:41 PM)Poodle Wrote: Daft question, but how do i check the current flow through these?

a rough guide is to measure the resistance
then do some maths Wink

current (Amps)= Voltage (V) Divided by Resistance (ohms)

example
12v / 1ohm= 12amps
Thanks given by:
No idea LOL. Il check tomorrow. Have you cane across any info regarding 1.6hdi coolant plugs? Untill reading this and thinking about it iv never come across any on one before
You can have em if u want em
Thanks given by:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewite...1034088688

Looks very similar.
I've just acquired a coolant heater which I'm going to plumb into my dt 205. I'll order one of these plugs see if it fits
Thanks given by:
For reference, a coolant pre-heater plug next to a standard hdi glow plug:

[attachment=12497]

Cheers for that Cully. Resistance through the coolant plugs is 0.9 ohms, so current is ~13amps. HDi plugs had a resistance of 0.05 ohms, so about 24A, as fair old difference. Will see if i can find a dt one for better comparison.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Resistance through the dt plugs is 1ohm, so looking at about 12A... Ideal!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
what's the latest ref part num (europarts etc) please?
want to replace my set
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Use the reg from my dt if you like, that'll ensure you get the right ones, will pm you.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
much appreciated ThumbsUp
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Bosch Duraterm part number is 0250201039 for DT glowplugs

I had a set of 4 from united diesel for £17 delivered, way cheaper than any motorfactors - and amazing value for money considering they are duraterms, not just standard bosch.

check ebay
Thanks given by:
(30-11-2015, 09:06 PM)Poodle Wrote: Use the reg from my dt if you like, that'll ensure you get the right ones, will pm you.

parts ordered, + 2 Osram H7's + discount.

help greatly appreciated Cool
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coolant Heater Golwplugs Toms306 8 2,985 16-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Toms306