Another which car thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another which car thread
Will be moving on from the Peugeot's soon - thanks to a charitable donation from the Mother, but stumped on what to get next! I'm not looking for a car to be thrashing around everywhere.. so please no "stick with a 306 cos itll b gr8 in da twisties".. I don't care.
Budget: £3-4k
Requirements:
- Diesel
- Post 2002 (to avoid you all saying 306...)
- Something with a bit of go, i.e not a 1.2 polo or something

Fairly broad.. The two things I've really had my eye on so far are the E46 330D Touring and the 159 Alfa Romeo (2.4d)

330D

Pros:
- Premium feel
- Estate, so allll the room for everything
- 201bhp standard!

Cons:
- Very rarely get over 40mpg
- Usual turbos/MAF/injectors shitting themselves

Alfa 159

Pros:
- Very nice examples for the price
- Much more unique than the 3-series
- Mildly better economy than the 3-series

Cons:
- Servicing Costs
- Questionable reliability from browsing forums

Open to suggestions on anything!
Cheers xx
-
Thanks given by:
I have an alfa and it's no more expensive to service than the Mondeo it replaced.

They have a bad reputation but are good cars, I have the 156 2.4 jtdm and would certainly look at buying another one.
Thanks given by:
Alfa.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Im disappointed.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Doesn't the Alfa use the same 1.9 CDTi engine that's in the Vectra C? If so.....I'd definitely avoid that!!

I'd probably go for the BMW with that choice tbh.
Thanks given by:
IIRC the alfa is basically an HDi

Thanks given by:
(23-10-2013, 07:45 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I'd probably go for the BMW with that choice tbh.

It's not a strict choice out of the two - they are just what I have been looking at Smile
Thanks given by:
I think it comes down to FWD or RWD.

You will have to really behave yourself with the beemer to not destroy tyres at every opportunity.

I've gotta say neither would be my choice. I'd have a Chrysler 300C CRD. They are technically terrible cars but more powerful than either of the above, a similar 0-60 to a GTi6 (and easily remap-able) but I bet you would feel like an absolute boss every single time you saw the reflection of your car driving down the road if not every time you drive it.

[Image: 38471d1315596212-uk-300c-srt8-register-imag0235.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2013, 07:45 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: IIRC the alfa is basically an HDi

I failed at reading the engine size. The 1.9 is the same Fiat shit that's in my car. lol I don't know anything about the 2.4 though so you're probably right.

(23-10-2013, 07:54 PM)vlj Wrote:
(23-10-2013, 07:45 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I'd probably go for the BMW with that choice tbh.

It's not a strict choice out of the two - they are just what I have been looking at Smile

Ah I see.... I'd still go for the bimmer tbh... lol

Are you sure you can get a decent one for less than £4k though? I haven't been looking at those specifically, but had been looking more for Mk5 Golfs/A3s and surprised at how much value the well specced diesels have held!!
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2013, 07:45 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Doesn't the Alfa use the same 1.9 CDTi engine that's in the Vectra C? If so.....I'd definitely avoid that!!

I'd probably go for the BMW with that choice tbh.

Some do
But most use the 2.4 Diesel engine 200bhp out the box and silly amounts of torque
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2013, 08:08 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(23-10-2013, 07:45 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: IIRC the alfa is basically an HDi

I failed at reading the engine size. The 1.9 is the same Fiat shit that's in my car. lol I don't know anything about the 2.4 though so you're probably right.

(23-10-2013, 07:54 PM)vlj Wrote:

Ah I see.... I'd still go for the bimmer tbh... lol

Are you sure you can get a decent one for less than £4k though? I haven't been looking at those specifically, but had been looking more for Mk5 Golfs/A3s and surprised at how much value the well specced diesels have held!!

The BMW's seem to hold surprisingly less value than the VW/Audi's. For that money you can get a fairly decent one Smile
Thanks given by:
I think when you look at a BMW like this, it costs a crazy amount to get it to that standard, you know you'll get a 330d and end up looking like a GOM.

Alfa is a wise decision IMO!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I don't really do new cars so I can't help sorry. But why are you coming on a 306 club whining about not wanting a 306? Not really sensible behaviour, especially for a relatively new member.
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2013, 08:26 PM)306Puggy Wrote: I don't really do new cars so I can't help sorry. But why are you coming on a 306 club whining about not wanting a 306? Not really sensible behaviour, especially for a relatively new member.

I am very new to the forum, yes. Nice to meet you all.
Thanks given by:
Sorry, but Vaughan a relatively new member? lmao

Piss off!

Thanks given by:
yeah Vaughn you noob
Thanks given by:
Join date says he's been here longer than you Puggy. Confused
Thanks given by:
f*cking noobs these days..
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Heh, it's okay Tom, this is my second account on here after my first one got banned. I actually remember when he registered and started chiming in all the time like he was "one of the lads" so to speak. Kind of like another relative new comer who came on here as a know it all that I can think of, but won't name for fear of him kicking off (he knows who he is Wink )
Thanks given by:
The alfas are lovely cars mate, i'd go for that every time.

Dum-dum, just go and think about what you've done (*said), i'm very disappointed in you. All chryslers are truly awful cars, apart from that people carrier which is merely bad.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(23-10-2013, 08:34 PM)306Puggy Wrote: Heh, it's okay Tom, this is my second account on here after my first one got banned. I actually remember when he registered and started chiming in all the time like he was "one of the lads" so to speak. Kind of like another relative new comer who came on here as a know it all I can think of, but won't name for fear of him kicking off (he knows who he is Wink )

Sorry, but Vaughan IS "one of the lads" lol

Crying with laughter here!

Thanks given by:
Jag x type or s type??? Id rather have an XJ buts its petrol. So wont suit your needs.
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2013, 08:34 PM)306Puggy Wrote: Heh, it's okay Tom, this is my second account on here after my first one got banned. I actually remember when he registered and started chiming in all the time like he was "one of the lads" so to speak. Kind of like another relative new comer who came on here as a know it all that I can think of, but won't name for fear of him kicking off (he knows who he is Wink )
Maybe you could join us at a meet and then you could be "one of the lads"? Makeup
Thanks given by:
lmao

Puggy, you crease me up good and proper!!

Rofl
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Flynn's too much of a lady garden to show his face
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2013, 08:34 PM)306Puggy Wrote: Heh, it's okay Tom, this is my second account on here after my first one got banned. I actually remember when he registered and started chiming in all the time like he was "one of the lads" so to speak. Kind of like another relative new comer who came on here as a know it all that I can think of, but won't name for fear of him kicking off (he knows who he is Wink )

Wow... Jealous much?

Toys are no longer in the pram.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
I'd probably avoid a diesel Jag tbh, every one you see seems to be billowing coal! Confused

And very true Flynn/Puggy, I should've thought about your previous accounts!! lol
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2013, 08:40 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I'd probably avoid a diesel Jag tbh, every one you see seems to be billowing coal! Confused

Won't claim to know anything about Jags, but I can just imagine their parts/servicing costs to be through the roof! Don't think a Jag is a 'me' sort of car really either lol!
Thanks given by:
Flynn/Puggy/yashar? Too scared to show a real name to face.

I remember buyi wheels off Vaughan about ....4/5years ago? Before you'd even had a license...

What an absolute bell cheese
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I think it's probably only a matter of time before puggy gets banned again TBH..

Probably when his turbo doesn't work and he starts on a personal feud against everyone who's tried to offer advice lol

Thanks given by: