TD04/TD05

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TD04/TD05
I know everyone is using td04's these days for a turbo upgrade, aswell as the GT20.
But has anyone tried the td05? as im sure they're slightly beefier.
Thanks given by:
I have no experience with either, but ive been led to believe that although the TD05 IS a bigger/better turbo, its lags more due to its size. Probably worth looking into having a smaller turbo added alongside the TD05 to help it along.

Although, i am far from a professional like Dum Dum, and im sure someone will be along shortly to tell me im talking the brown stuff. lmao
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Well I was thinking of having for example a T2 blowing into a TD05, but I could go down a bigger turbo route if I was to twin up

Thanks given by:
Poodle has a TD05 IIRC
Thanks given by:
Bear in mind most people use the smaller td04s on their 306s, mostly because the larger td04s are just too big to spool without help and still be drivable. The td05s are another step larger, definitely too big to use on it's own imo. To give you an idea, i have one of the smallest td05s going and it should (according to my calculations, don't rely on that lol) be about the right size to compound with a standard 306 turbo, this is it:

As you can see, the hotside is pretty large in comparison to a standard turbo and they only get bigger - ie later spooling and more laggy.

If you're sticking to a single turbo you'd be best off with one of the newer garretts or borgwarners, td04s are only so popular because they're cheap and indestructable. Compared to the gt/K range they're pretty old-tech and inefficient, depends what you want from the install really.

Edit: i am fairly large, use the key as comparison for size lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Fair enough lol, looking at that pic I was thinking, doesn't look that big till I read properly haha. So say t2 compound with td05, early spooler to spin the td05 up?
Thanks given by:
You may want to do some research into compound doddy.

Compound doesnt use the little turbo to spool the big one. And IMO a T2 is still too laggy to work with either a twin setup or a compound setup
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(22-10-2013, 10:04 PM)Piggy Wrote: You may want to do some research into compound doddy.

Compound doesnt use the little turbo to spool the big one. And IMO a T2 is still too laggy to work with either a twin setup or a compound setup

I knew what i meant lol, just in the wrong context. /face palm. I'am rather tired. Bed time soon. But yeah I'll look into it more. When I can be arsed :p
Thanks given by:
Be prepared for a chronic headache for at least a week - getting your head around the theory is bad enough, doing the maths to work out which compressors, turbines and housings will work together in compound is even worse!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Pompey mark has a gearbox mounted TD05 :-)

However shouldnt this be in the xud or similar section?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I don't have a problem with my TD05
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
I have one to go on. But it's not driving yet.
Thanks given by:
Dan, isn't yours compounded with a supercharger though...?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(23-10-2013, 08:46 PM)Poodle Wrote: Dan, isn't yours compounded with a supercharger though...?

lol! Maybe..... Just wanted to join in but had nothing really intelligent to say tbh.

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Rofl

I'm not sure i do tbh, i just give people enough links that they get absorbed and fail to notice i haven't really contributed much. Big Grin
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
^ Like it! Thats like ninja unhelpfulness. Epic lol

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Way too big
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by: