fuel filter????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fuel filter????
Newbie here.

I've got a meridian 2.0 hdi.

1. Engine management light came on.
2. Took it to Mr clutch, they didn't know what was wrong and car felt fine.
3. Gradually exhaust getting louder like it's blowing. Whistling turbo like noise coming from engine.
4. Took it to Peugeot who want to charge over £100 for diagnostic test.

Not paying that if I just need to change a fuel filter. Does this sound right? Best place to buy new filter?
Thanks given by:
I've not heard of a blocked filter causing the light tbh, would think its something else but doesn't hurt to change. Any motor factors should sell them.

Getting the code read will be best, do you know anyone with a generic code reader, or a local garage maybe?

Exhaust is probably blowing also, Id suggest around the cat pipe if that's where the noise is. But that shouldn't be related to the EML.
Thanks given by:
(22-10-2013, 03:19 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I've not heard of a blocked filter causing the light tbh, would think its something else but doesn't hurt to change. Any motor factors should sell them.

Getting the code read will be best, do you know anyone with a generic code reader, or a local garage maybe?

Exhaust is probably blowing also, Id suggest around the cat pipe if that's where the noise is. But that shouldn't be related to the EML.

Mr clutch wrote the following which means very little to me:

5124,cu output stage
For suppl. beater.
545 accelerator pedal position
Sensor 2 signal improbable
Thanks given by:
Is that faults they read?

If so, the 2nd one looks like it's going to be the throttle position sensor (TPS). And I think that can bring the light on.

Can't quite decipher what the first one is though!
Thanks given by:
Has anything unusual happened prior to the light coming on?

A blocked filter can cause the light, but only if the engine cuts out from low fuel pressure.

5124 makes no sense, that must be from a generic code reader.

The other is throttle position sensor, that's probably your issue - there are two sensors and inconsistencies between them will trigger the eml. There's a guide in the guide section on how to repair it, failing that i think a new one is about £40 from pug.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(22-10-2013, 05:05 PM)Poodle Wrote: Has anything unusual happened prior to the light coming on?

A blocked filter can cause the light, but only if the engine cuts out from low fuel pressure.

5124 makes no sense, that must be from a generic code reader.

The other is throttle position sensor, that's probably your issue - there are two sensors and inconsistencies between them will trigger the eml. There's a guide in the guide section on how to repair it, failing that i think a new one is about £40 from pug.

The sensor is now £335!!! But you can pick up a second hand one cheap. They use to be around £70 then £134 and now £335!
Thanks given by:
Good grief, that's unbelievable!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
fuckin hell that's a jump in price for a sensor!!
Thanks given by:
The trouble with 2nd hand is it could go the same way as mine in a week or could already be knackered. Thanks for all your help, I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks given by:
Last night the exhaust broke away from the front box. Is it possible the lack of pressure set the engine management light off?

Repairing it with Gun gum for the time being until I can get a decent price to replace the exhaust.

Thanks given by:
That front box is a cat, I got £70 the other week for mine, W reg so close to yours. So don't let kwik fit or similar walk off with it!
I don't think that would affect the engine light, the exhaust in the 306 HDi is 'dumb' with no sensors.

Get a decat pipe of eBay and enjoy the benefits!
Thanks given by:
Wow, that's a beautiful repair! lol

As above, the exhaust won't cause the engine light to come on. The only way you're going to know for sure what is causing the light is by getting it scanned.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
My stunning repair didn't work, the exhaust came loose after 10 second without moving the car. Doh
Looks like Mr Clutch is going to get some more money out of me.
Thanks given by:
Haha, mine snapped there as well....still drove it for another month or so, no engine light came up. Was loud though! lol
Thanks given by:
Mr Crutch put a new cat on which cost £70. I think you were lucky to get £70 for a 2nd hand one!

Engine light still on. I refuse to pay £100 to plug it in to a computer at Peugeot. Daylight robbery!

Next job, clean up the sensor!
Thanks given by:
(31-10-2013, 09:54 AM)telbert76 Wrote: Mr Crutch put a new cat on which cost £70. I think you were lucky to get £70 for a 2nd hand one!

Quality of OE kit is miles better than the cheap tat they put on in those sort of places.
My cat was built to last!
Thanks given by:
Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...1310249326

Enjoy
Thanks given by:
Oh well, it's done now.

At least the interior of my car doesn't smell like sprouts any more. I thought one of the night shunters at work had farted in there.
Thanks given by:
Sprouts? I don't remember any exhaust smelling like sprouts! Confused
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel Filter pug306driver 8 2,727 25-01-2019, 09:50 AM
Last Post: pug306driver
  fuel filter housing changed jason68 6 2,435 08-01-2018, 02:14 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  fuel filter body removal pug306driver 9 2,427 07-06-2016, 06:48 AM
Last Post: Paul_13