Removing the PAS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing the PAS
I've had the pump and ram removed for a while, but I thought that as I had the subframe off, it'd be silly not to take it to bits and properly remove the PAS.

First, undo the two allen bolts holding the housing to the steering rack, and twist it round so you can hammer upwards on the edge of it without damaging the mating surfaces.

You should be rewarded with something like this:

Now drive the assembly out, a vice really is an essential tool here.

Find the small circlip securing the bearing race, and remove it. Then you need to knock the bearing off the shaft.

Then put the whole assembly back in the vice like so, and smash the shaft out of the centre. There's a small locating dowel that will rip out as you go.

Grind the dowel down and you're left with this:

Now you need to weld the join here, you'll feel movement in it if you put it in a vice.

Reassemble the whole unit, packing in a bit of grease for good measure. I found the easiest way to put the bearing back on was to use this and hammer it down. Don't forget the circlip!

Bung the holes up with a bit of sealant and you're good to go!

When replacing the unit into the rack, you'll need to loosen the two 11mm (IIRC) bolts on the back, allowing the sprung plate to move outwards, otherwise the whole thing won't fit back together.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
How much lighter is it now youve removed the last of the pas stuff
Thanks given by:
Nice guide.

How did you clean up the body? Looks like new!
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I don't know yet Chris, I'll let you fail at parking it again next time I have it near your place lol

Grant I just wiped it off with a rag soaked in petrol, painted it after that picture though.

It's probably worth adding that if people want to send me theirs to weld, I'll do it for a £5 plus postage costs. If there's enough interest, I'll do the whole unit on an exchange basis.

Thanks given by:
I just thought after my last comment, How much do you trust your welding? If that weld goes then its no steering.
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2013, 03:17 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I just thought after my last comment, How much do you trust your welding? If that weld goes then its no steering.

There is steering, it'd just re-introduce the "dead spot"

But I trust my welding pretty well. I'll probably strip it down after a couple of months of use just to double check it.

Thanks given by:
Ooooorrrrrr...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200886442568?s...1423.l2649

Jus' sayin'. :p
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(21-10-2013, 07:22 PM)Poodle Wrote: Ooooorrrrrr...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200886442568?s...1423.l2649

I think from what RIPP said, the non pas racks arnt as short..so more turns needed, id imagine to make it easier to steer withoutj the pas...but this is fail becauseracecar

Good guide, +1
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Yeah, they're slow as f*ck, it's like driving an oil tanker.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Ah fair enough, that will be deleted from my watchlist then lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: