Power steering

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power steering
How much play are we talking?

Our of interest, why don't you get the play with the pas running?

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
The "play" is the gap that the power steering system needs to tell where to pump the fluid. So you turn the wheel right and opens up a little gap for the fluid to flow through, turn the wheel left and the fluid will run through the other little gap and pump the fluid the opposite way
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ok, so are you saying you get the same "Play" even with the pas enabled and running? Always wondered how it works!
JP
Thanks given by:
You dont really get any "play" as its taken up by the fluid
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As connor says, whilst you do get slightly vague steering from PAS, the 'play' isn't there because the torsion bar turns the shuttle and the hydraulic fluid starts to move the ram.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Are we talking a lot, or a little? I suppose I can test by, as above, taking the belt offhand trying it thus...
JP
Thanks given by:
~5 degrees or so perhaps, never really measured it, you can feel it though.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Hmmm... So you don't get any "play" as such with the pas up and running? Maybe that's what I should do then, just relocate it out of the way...

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
I'll explain it better when I take some pictures, but basically with PAS on the steering usually 'floats' between the two stops, the only thing giving feedback for small movements is the little dinky torsion bar in the middle, which is why PAS setups filter out a little of the steering feedback -there's effectively a flexy bit between the rack and the wheel.
For one with no PAS, because the ram doesn't move the shuttle, you have a little bit where you have the spring of the torsion bar only, then the stop where it's basically direct through. A normal non-PAS rack just goes straight through.
Thanks given by:
Ah ok. Get some pics, it'll make sense then! So you think no pas is the way to go then? But obviously modify the rack to suit....?

I can't even remember what a non pas rack feels like!
JP
Thanks given by:
Just weld it up, that's all I've done today on mine. I'll post the pictures up later.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Before you welded it, was there loads of play or something?
JP
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power Steering Pump, All The Same? bigcheez2k3 14 4,148 20-11-2020, 11:28 AM
Last Post: vento85
  Power steering rack.....replacement options Jellomanpie 9 3,493 30-04-2020, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Power Sterering Ram/ Steering damper pugfrank 6 3,119 08-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Last Post: pugfrank