MOT FAIL !!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MOT FAIL !!
well the car went in for my first Mot, its pug 1.6 8v, basically rear brake imbalance, low effort seized load sensing valve linkage nearside outer front cvj gator

nothing too drastic, so get looks like spanners at the ready, any advice on the gator replacement would be helpful[/size][/font]
Thanks given by:
Hmm fiddly little job that, ive been known to buy second hand drive shelf's back in the day Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I would just wack a shaft on.

seized compensator is easy...wd40 and pliers.

and just service the rear brakes
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
that's my thoughts too, 1 cheaper 2 quicker and less mess too.
Thanks given by:
Buy a replacement boot and wresutle it on. I did this just tonight. It's a pita but with 2 people it's certainly doable with no special tools
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(17-10-2013, 09:04 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Buy a replacement boot and wresutle it on. I did this just tonight. It's a pita but with 2 people it's certainly doable with no special tools

what the boot cost you I seen them for about 9 quid
Thanks given by:
replacing outter cv boot?

piece of cake, can do it without removing shaft and draining gearbox oil if you're careful.

slice old one off with a stanley knife

get a universal stratch boot and either

actually stretch it over using a bucket of lube and a cone, which is a pita

or knock the cv joint off the shaft by tapping it it with a mallet

fit cv boot and tap it back on, making cure the circlip is located on the end of the shaft.

if you don't have a magic crimper for doing the fiddly metal clips that hold it on, just use some good old zip ties

Did one couple of days ago, no sweat!

Certainly not worth messing removing a shaft, catching oil, and refilling gearbox.
Thanks given by:
knocking the cv joint off can be a right pita though Undecided
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
they wanted to charge me 90 for fitting on a new one, yeh right!
Thanks given by:
I wouldnt advise knocking the cv joint off unless you know what you are doing, the little circlip on the end of the shaft (that goes into the cv joint) can be a bitch at the best of times
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thats exactly what I was thinking...

sometimes you can flick a little screwdriver in there and it just pops off...

but sometimes its a proper two man job
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
stretchy boot and cone, don't even bother wrestling cv joints off anymore
Thanks given by:
Just get the hammers out
Thanks given by:
I'd recommend a Bailcast stretchy boot . Stretchiest I've come across and use plenty of lube on your cone!
Thanks given by:
Stretchy boots are ftw tbhj. save alot of farce.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Don't be tempted by the cut and glue ones. Might be okay on a RWD but I don't trust them on a FWD car.
Thanks given by:
Done this myself a year or so ago on my 1.4. Buy a quality boot kit too, some are shite and split easily. Bung the boot in a bucket of very hot water beforehand, this helps soften it up for stretching over the cone tool.

Be wary knocking the CV joints off, some are the spider type joint.
Thanks given by:
You want a rhino rubber boot, i use them on all cars universal, super stretchy and have a lifelime guarantee, i use a pneumatic boot spreader but work well with the cone too. Remember with the cone though to turn the boot inside out 1st or else ul get it on and itl be back to front and have to take the joint off or cut it off =epic fail
Thanks given by: