306 HDi Piper Cam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 HDi Piper Cam
Hi all,

Wondered if anyone had any experience with setting these up? I've just been given one, so if it gains me ANYTHING it's worth the (lack) of money I paid for it!

Do you time it to stock?

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Could always email piper....

Someone on .net ran one of these a few year back but i cant for the life in me remember his username.

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Think dum dum had one.

I'm sure darren or Ruan will know!
Thanks given by:
I don't have any experience running one - both Darren and I wrestled with the XUD one, but it may not have the same issues as the XUD one. There's multiple things wrong with the XUD one, the stock pulley puts all the cam timing to cock, so you've got to really run the Piper Vernier (which has no lock hole...) and there's no settings to put it at stock timing, the valve clearances are TOTALLY to bollocks, if you go by Piper's specs it rattles like a 1970 Fiesta... That's when we wrestled with it, which was probably a good 2 years ago?

From what I understand the HDi one was a design done by someone else, Piper made it, then put it up on their website for sale - I don't think Piper really have any experience of them at all!

Set up well, it SHOULD net a gain in power, but at the power levels we're running thus far, it's just not going to make enough of a difference to warrant the cost.... Your drive pressure (emp) is going to be so high, the manifolds are a sack of shit, the injectors are quickly running out of head room - IMO there's much that can be done to the engine long before requiring a performance cam...

But that's my opinion - I think tbaxter or similar put one in and did a dyno before and after, and I think there was a 1hp gain... I'd expect to see a 1hp gain from someone farting in the room before hand and it sucking in the methane for more power, i.e. it made shit all difference.

You'd need to measure where the stock pulley puts stock lift, from memory they should be at full lift @ 110* atdc and btdc for inlet and exhaust. Be very interested to see how the valvetrain puts up with it...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Afaik bryn is the only person to use one and make any record of it, there was a bloke from reunion island running one with a bit of advance over stock iirc, never got much useful info from him though.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I had one but never ran it as running the cam in wasn't compatible with running the rest of the engine in. Sold it to TB205
Thanks given by:
OK.. I'll do some back to back dyno testing and then do some map tweaks to see if it does much... maybe not by the sound of it - but no issue, it's free!

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
(15-10-2013, 11:23 AM)jammapic Wrote: OK.. I'll do some back to back dyno testing and then do some map tweaks to see if it does much... maybe not by the sound of it - but no issue, it's free!

JP

Hi i was wondering if there's any news on this ?
Just been looking around for a cam myself, as i know they work well in petrol's but just starting out in Diesels so just looking around and seen your thread
Be nice to know if there's any benefit with a cam as not that clued up yet on the goings on with the diesel engine and all the stuff that goes with the Hdi
Long learning curveItwasntme
Thanks given by:
I have to be honest and say, I never tried it on my engine.

That said, I know Chris gained quite a chunk of midrange and reduced the EMP's quite a his old HDi when it was fitted to that.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
(24-03-2014, 01:38 PM)jammapic Wrote: I have to be honest and say, I never tried it on my engine.

That said, I know Chris gained quite a chunk of midrange and reduced the EMP's quite a his old HDi when it was fitted to that.

JP
Sorry to say this lol
But what's EMP's ?? Please
And been looking for 1 to buy and can't seen to find any
Thanks given by:
exhaust manifold pressure.

i have one for sale.
JP
Thanks given by:
(25-03-2014, 12:00 AM)jammapic Wrote: exhaust manifold pressure.

i have one for sale.
Can you add me on facebook m8
My name is Andy Jordan
Thanks given by:
It appears there are many Andy Jordan's on facebook!

If you search for James Pickering, little picture of a black 6 on track (white wheels) and send me a message, that's a good start....
JP
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Piper Camshaft JTaylor2005 4 1,868 22-05-2018, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  DW10 Piper cam 306clot 17 5,616 13-05-2016, 12:29 PM
Last Post: toseland
  Piper cross dry type filter Franko 5 1,980 06-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Ruan