New Conservative driving proposals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Conservative driving proposals
I know of 3 young guys one being a friend who have been killed. Both accidents were on a horrible stretch of road poorly lit and no barrier on the sides with huge drops! Not always driver errors! But maybe under 20s should have curfews? Not a bad idea!
Thanks given by:
(15-10-2013, 02:29 PM)Piggy Wrote: so you are saying a bhp limit of what? 200bhp? 300bhp?

when most cars attractive to that age band (hot hatches etc) are below 200bhp anyway!?

so a completely pointless bhp limit then

A bhp and or cc limit would be absolutely pointless. A few years ago, ( well a lot actually), I had a 1.4cc Mitsubishi colt hatchback, which was rated at 78bhp. It had a normal 5 speed box, coupled with a secondary gear stick with two settings, economy and power. When in economy mode, it was like driving miss daisy's car around. In power mode, however, it was like holding on to the tail of a scalded steer! The power output was phenomenal, I could actually outrun Golf GTIs, Renault 5 Gts and xr3 is! Also, the old mk1 astra 1.3 was an incredibly quick car for its time, with low bhp and relatively low cc.
Thanks given by:
(15-10-2013, 02:29 PM)Piggy Wrote: so you are saying a bhp limit of what? 200bhp? 300bhp?

when most cars attractive to that age band (hot hatches etc) are below 200bhp anyway!?

so a completely pointless bhp limit then
Nah, needs to be done on a PTW ratio not just bhp. 90bhp in a new mondeo is shit but in a 106 its no slouch. IMO 70bhp/tonne or less would be a good start.

That said its never going to be the cure. Either we need a much harder test in the first place or a secondary test at the end of your probation. I also feel that people should have to do a test before towing any sort of trailer. It amazes me that a 17 year old can hook up to a big caravan or car trailer with a big car and just hit the road whan they might not of driven anything bigger than a saxo before.

Admittedly the crash that nearly killed me was in an un tuned DTurbo
Thanks given by:
I actually wanted an old Colt for a first car Tongue
Some good points, maybe on the face of it a BHP limit sounds good, but cars and bikes are differently engineering (duh), 2 friends of mine, one with a 1.6 stripped out KA and one with a 1.0 mk1 Golf (sure it was 1.0), would tell me against each other the Golf would pull away up to 60 mph even though it only had 4 gears, one of them being an eco gear?

What happened to the anti-speeding and drinking adverts that came on tele back a few years ago?

But the fact is you can get into what ever you like from day 1 if you have the money, i was lucky to get a 1.4 306 on the road for 2.5k when i started driving, was the largest engine any company would be interested to insure me on, but that is partly down to where i live, would have saved 1 and a half grand if i had moved to Scotland Wink

A curfew would then mean young people couldnt drive home at night from work, i often did and still do drive home after 12 at night, but those companies that put the box in your car so you dont drive between 11pm-5am is because thats when young people statistically get themselves killed the most, or so im told

Most low spec old hatchback cars i found were sub 100 bhp, but this was in the 0.8-1.4 litre range, above 1.4 and i found insurance started to double. But in setting a limit, set it too high and it is pointless, set it too low and the vehicle options become very limited, so perhaps it is a pointless idea for cars as theres too many variants
Thanks given by:
Im not sure on my opinion on this matter as yeh alot of dickheads do get on the road to early... But then if it was me stuck in that situation Id be pissed as hell.

Although when I heard this story on the news myself... My first thought was... the only people who cause me any problems on the road are OLD people who need to be retested and No NOTHING of their theory/hazard driving test any more. The amount of times Ive had a problem on the road because of an old person doing something ridiculous, or not understanding speed limits. Ive only had a few cases of some dickhead drivers, and theyre middleaged anyways. I also think alot of people might get into accidents by tryin to simply overtake this idiots, or get out of their way. I was driving home from work the other day and an old man (like 90) turned out onto the opposite side of the road WHILE ON THE PHONE, and came into my lane because he only had one hand on the wheel turning!! Shit like this needs to be stopped as well.

So Yeh maybe something needs to be done to stop all the dickhead young drivers, but whos dealing with all the idiotic old drivers who cant even SEE the road...

Is my opinion
French Wench
Thanks given by:
(16-10-2013, 10:05 AM)LadySteve Wrote: Im not sure on my opinion on this matter as yeh alot of dickheads do get on the road to early... But then if it was me stuck in that situation Id be pissed as hell.

Although when I heard this story on the news myself... My first thought was... the only people who cause me any problems on the road are OLD people who need to be retested and No NOTHING of their theory/hazard driving test any more. The amount of times Ive had a problem on the road because of an old person doing something ridiculous, or not understanding speed limits. Ive only had a few cases of some dickhead drivers, and theyre middleaged anyways. I also think alot of people might get into accidents by tryin to simply overtake this idiots, or get out of their way. I was driving home from work the other day and an old man (like 90) turned out onto the opposite side of the road WHILE ON THE PHONE, and came into my lane because he only had one hand on the wheel turning!! Shit like this needs to be stopped as well.

So Yeh maybe something needs to be done to stop all the dickhead young drivers, but whos dealing with all the idiotic old drivers who cant even SEE the road...

Is my opinion

gotta agree with this, old folks or even executive dickheads who turn without indicating, pull off (giggity) without a signal, stop/park on corners or straight after roundabouts, drive at 40mph through national speed limits then continue to do so through a 30 zone . . . .bahhhhh loads of other shit too that will just start me ranting lol . . . . .make the test longer and harder imnsho, i passed first time so it must be too easy . . .Wink
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
better training and better tests...broken up and longer.

IE town test. manuevers test. A roads test. B roads and lanes test. Duals and motorways test.
then a 'coursework' assignment to cover all manners of weather and day/night signed off by instructors.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Driving standards and insurances are a joke in this country. Personally any new learner driver must be given good training
to be able to show competence on the road.

Its like people who train to become doctors etc you cant just expect them to be perfect after a few years of studies, they have to get out there in the real world and practice in order to become good at their job.

Same thing goes for drivers, you may stop learning the basics of how to drive, but you never stop learning different situations on the road on a day to day basis. One think I notice is a lot cock pieces on the road with thier blinkers on and never look around them selves just concentrating on the road ahead. Open your god damn eyes drivers and look around
Thanks given by:
All of these stupid rant posts make me thing I am on the Daily Mail website, FFS. Grow up, people.
Thanks given by:
(16-10-2013, 02:20 PM)306Puggy Wrote: All of these stupid rant posts make me thing I am on the Daily Mail website, FFS. Grow up, people.

The couch is for general discussions and 'banter'

And you have also been commenting in this thread so your post is entirely irrelevant.
Thanks given by:
(16-10-2013, 02:20 PM)306Puggy Wrote: Grow up, people.
I'm not reading or replying to the thread, but looking at some of the comments brought to my attention, I wholeheartedly agree.
Thanks given by:
Hours wise is a Joke, I for one will be getting my Daughter who's 8 next year into a Kart and all being well into a car at 14 so again in theory will be able to pass her test the day she turns 17 and have loads of experience, I know not a huge amount of people can do this but there is loads of under 17 driving courses around.
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
This new proposal is bollocks.
But, I have to admit I was a bellend just after I passed my test. I thought it was good fun and didn't realise the consequences until I stuffed my first car into a hedge.

Personally, I think the rules should stay as they are, but make new drivers fully understand what it's like to crash, and showing potentially how bad it could be. I became a much safer driver after my first crash.

I feel there isn't much emphasis on how dangerous it actually is. The test is all about your driving ability and knowing the Highway Code, but nothing about the dangers.

But yes, this new proposal is bollocks.
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2013, 08:18 AM)callumcull Wrote: This new proposal is bollocks.
But, I have to admit I was a bellend just after I passed my test. I thought it was good fun and didn't realise the consequences until I stuffed my first car into a hedge.

Personally, I think the rules should stay as they are, but make new drivers fully understand what it's like to crash, and showing potentially how bad it could be. I became a much safer driver after my first crash.

I feel there isn't much emphasis on how dangerous it actually is. The test is all about your driving ability and knowing the Highway Code, but nothing about the dangers.

But yes, this new proposal is bollocks.

I was the same when I was 17. I was pulled up by police in mondeo doing 60mph through town. He said he'd followed be a while which I was doing 115mph before. He gave me a bollocking and let me of. Then I got my 1.4 astra and that got thrashed everywhere becuase it was fun and I didnt care! I remember giving it some on a street ended up going straight through a busy give way! Same street in the snow didnt see the give way by the time I stopped i was sideways on the giveway line!

What slowed me down and made me grow up when getting a car I really liked and really cared for. Obviously I didnt wanna destroy it...

Dont know how but ive been driving 5 years now I have 4 yeara ncb and no points. Would be 5 years ncb if it was for coop.

Dont know how I managed to keep a clean license the way I drove.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
How can you not realise the consequences of crashing a metal box into something? I have never understood "young people" and their mentality, just as well I will be leaving their age group soon. But yeah I agree with the other stuff, but I don't think it will deter people from crashing, even the cockiest driver doesn't crash deliberately. I personally think the test should incorporate car control training instead of stupid stuff like reversing around the corner. Why can't you have some skid pan time? That would be hugely helpful, you have to spend hundreds to go to a skid pan or track day privately.
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2013, 09:33 AM)306Puggy Wrote: How can you not realise the consequences of crashing a metal box into something? I have never understood "young people" and their mentality, just as well I will be leaving their age group soon. But yeah I agree with the other stuff, but I don't think it will deter people from crashing, even the cockiest driver doesn't crash deliberately. I personally think the test should incorporate car control training instead of stupid stuff like reversing around the corner. Why can't you have some skid pan time? That would be hugely helpful, you have to spend hundreds to go to a skid pan or track day privately.

Because when you've just passed and you're able to drive on your own and go fast, why would you understand the consequences until you crash or have a near miss? I'm glad I stuffed my first car, it changed the way I drove massively. I still go fast, but so much safer and much more respect for other road users.

Most of my mates were the same when they just passed, the first crash changed everything.

That, and when you're young you think your made of magic and rubber!
Thanks given by:
I've never crashed....but I imagine it's pretty expensive and painful, not to mention having to reply on other people if you're injured that badly! Then again, I seem to see consequences of actions long before they actually happen and actively avoid them. Maybe other people don't do this? Would explain a lot about the ignorant, inconsiderate and generally stupid things I see all the time tbh....
Thanks given by:
I think it took my crash for me to start looking for accidents waiting to happen. I can see them a mile off now, where as before I was concentrating on me, and not paying to much attention to other people's actions.
Humans, we're a funny being eh?
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2013, 10:34 AM)callumcull Wrote: I think it took my crash for me to start looking for accidents waiting to happen. I can see them a mile off now, where as before I was concentrating on me, and not paying to much attention to other people's actions.
Humans, we're a funny being eh?

Some of us funnier than others! Dodgy lol

Fair enough though, interesting to see how other peoples minds work. Smile
Thanks given by:
Yeah I imagine a crash would change it majorly. Ive only had 1 accident. But I wasnt even driving. Some people come to pick my dads none runner up. But my car was infront on drive with no fuel in. People wouldnt give me a hand taking it off drive they told me to pull it up in gear turning key. So I did but when I got to the top a bit of fuel got into system and started it straight into a pick up truck. Paid him £200 I was so fuming that day Undecided

My dad was saying to me why do I always want a faster car when I really dont use the power. He says im too much of a cautious driver. But like I say my car is my pride and joy I dont wanna write it off also I got someone else in car I dont want there life in my hands. Also my job requires a clean license so I keep that in mind.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Idea; Put new drivers on a speed awareness course before they do their test. From what I've heard the stuff you get shown can be eye opening.
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2013, 12:14 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Idea; Put new drivers on a speed awareness course before they do their test. From what I've heard the stuff you get shown can be eye opening.

Hmmm Ill let you know after next week Doh
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2013, 10:17 AM)callumcull Wrote:
(17-10-2013, 09:33 AM)306Puggy Wrote: How can you not realise the consequences of crashing a metal box into something? I have never understood "young people" and their mentality, just as well I will be leaving their age group soon. But yeah I agree with the other stuff, but I don't think it will deter people from crashing, even the cockiest driver doesn't crash deliberately. I personally think the test should incorporate car control training instead of stupid stuff like reversing around the corner. Why can't you have some skid pan time? That would be hugely helpful, you have to spend hundreds to go to a skid pan or track day privately.

Because when you've just passed and you're able to drive on your own and go fast, why would you understand the consequences until you crash or have a near miss? I'm glad I stuffed my first car, it changed the way I drove massively. I still go fast, but so much safer and much more respect for other road users.

Most of my mates were the same when they just passed, the first crash changed everything.

What do you mean why would you understand the consequences of a crash? Are you short? :p There is such a thing as learning from other people's mistakes you know Rolleyes

And why have I never thought I was made of magic and rubber then!? I'm fed up of hearing of spoilt young brats.
Thanks given by:
(18-10-2013, 11:11 AM)306Puggy Wrote:

What do you mean why would you understand the consequences of a crash!? Are you short!? There is such a thing as learning from other people's mistakes you know Rolleyes

And why have I never thought I was made of magic and rubber then!? I'm fed up of hearing of spoilt young twats.

i think the point is mate, you might think you know the consequences until something bad happens or you see something bad happen . . . . . .kinda like you falling in love for the first time or seeing your first child being born, you think you know what it means until it happens and then you realise you knew nothing . . . . . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:

What do you mean why would you understand the consequences of a crash? Are you short? :p There is such a thing as learning from other people's mistakes you know Rolleyes

And why have I never thought I was made of magic and rubber then!? I'm fed up of hearing of spoilt young brats.

Well, when I was younger and just passed my test, I would never learn from anyone else's mistakes. I'd have to make the mistake my self and learn from that. I guess it's all just a part of being young and growing up. Needless to say a lot has changed since I passed.

I was a right arse when I was younger, looking back at how I used to be is a little embarrassing actually. Either way, I learned and changed Smile
Thanks given by:

I know we shouldn't bite and feed the cretin but;

A chip on the shoulder, you have a massive one.
Thanks given by:
(18-10-2013, 11:14 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(17-10-2013, 10:17 AM)callumcull Wrote: Because when you've just passed and you're able to drive on your own and go fast, why would you understand the consequences until you crash or have a near miss? I'm glad I stuffed my first car, it changed the way I drove massively. I still go fast, but so much safer and much more respect for other road users.

What do you mean why would you understand the consequences of a crash!? Are you short!? There is such a thing as learning from other people's mistakes you know Rolleyes

And why have I never thought I was made of magic and rubber then!? I'm fed up of hearing of spoilt young twats.

i think the point is mate, you might think you know the consequences until something bad happens or you see something bad happen . . . . . .kinda like you falling in love for the first time or seeing your first child being born, you think you know what it means until it happens and then you realise you knew nothing . . . . . .Smile
(18-10-2013, 11:16 AM)callumcull Wrote:
(17-10-2013, 10:17 AM)callumcull Wrote: Because when you've just passed and you're able to drive on your own and go fast, why would you understand the consequences until you crash or have a near miss? I'm glad I stuffed my first car, it changed the way I drove massively. I still go fast, but so much safer and much more respect for other road users.

Well, when I was younger and just passed my test, I would never learn from anyone else's mistakes. I'd have to make the mistake my self and learn from that. I guess it's all just a part of being young and growing up. Needless to say a lot has changed since I passed.

I was a right arse when I was younger, looking back at how I used to be is a little embarrassing actually. Either way, I learned and changed Smile

Fair enough lads. I actually waited until I had my license 2 years before deciding to stuff my car Big Grin Luckily it was off the road on an inanimate object though. And yes I did repair it and still have the car today.

(18-10-2013, 12:29 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote:

I know we shouldn't bite and feed the cretin but;

A chip on the shoulder, you have a massive one.

Ahahahahahahahaha! Okay, troll.
Thanks given by: