MR2 or MX5/Eunos?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MR2 or MX5/Eunos?
Mr2 all the way.
I have a mk2 turbo and its amazing fun.
They are actually fairly planted with all the weight over the rear, but only up to a point.
That point is very fine, once you've crossed it, you are just a passenger.
As long as you take it steady learning how to drive an MR car, you'll not go wrong with one of these.
Thanks given by:
Mr2 everytime although for me it'd be a mk2
Thanks given by:
(11-10-2013, 04:23 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: Mr2 everytime although for me it'd be a mk2

This!

Although if it had to be a mk1 I'd want the import only supercharged one Smile
Thanks given by:
(11-10-2013, 08:59 AM)Piggy Wrote: im sorry...MX5, 'LESS gay'??!!

its the gayest sports car money can buy!

its known to be owned by eother a woman or a gay man!

(11-10-2013, 09:56 AM)r3k1355 Wrote: 6-7 months ago I'd of said MR2.

DON'T DO IT NOW.

They're notorious for being a handful in the winter, it's going to step out on you, it's gunna keep on going and you will end up in a hedge.
It's compounded by the fact they're cheap old sports cars, so unless you pay top dollar for one thats been restored you will get suspension that needs work and cheap mis-matched tyres - both will help to swing the car all over the place.

At least in an MX-5 if the back steps out you can just giggle and have a play, when an MR2 does it you fill your pants and hope nothing is coming the other way.

(11-10-2013, 10:03 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: s2k <3

(11-10-2013, 04:45 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(11-10-2013, 04:23 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: Mr2 everytime although for me it'd be a mk2

This!

Although if it had to be a mk1 I'd want the import only supercharged one Smile

Nah it has to be a mk1, mk2s are too heavy and big for what I want...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Buy mk1, fix all rust, fit 3.5litre 2gr v6 motor, supercharge, job done

[Image: tapatalk_1381510147232.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The V6 conversions are very cool in the MR2, can even buy off the shelf mounts for them.
Thanks given by:
That one is a bt special though, usually a 3 litre from a camry is fitted.

If neither is acceptable, this

[Image: tumblr_mq1pyjxLeA1s95vcmo1_500-1.jpg]

Which has this in it

[Image: 1AvQY3QP.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Quote:lows, JDM bits, drift stickorrzzz

Instantly adding less handling, more gay and less looks.

So either will do.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Don't duck about with a mk1 ever, the v6 conversion as cool as it sounds ruins the drive of the car. The fun of then being a small engined high revving car is lost and become a lazy drive.

My brother used to own a 3.0 v6 mk1 it won cool points but he sold it pretty soon and stick with his standard one.

Here is a good example though the newer 20v 4age fitted and looks mint

http:// http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk...066257437

Oh and mk2 are shit!!!
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
If you want a V6 put the 2.5 Mazda unit in the MX5
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
The MR2 wins the cool points, But TBH I'd get an MX5 out of those two mate. The more sensible choice but still great fun, especially the Eunos's with the posh diffs.

(11-10-2013, 08:07 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: If you want a V6 buy Pete's Coupe

EFA whistle
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
(11-10-2013, 08:07 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: If you want a V6 put the 2.5 Mazda unit in the MX5

Why, it's a piece of shit?

Not even MX-5 owners bother with that pathetic lump, and they'll fit just about anything.
Thanks given by:
Mk5 and turbo it.....
when in doubt...... flat out.
Thanks given by:
(11-10-2013, 09:25 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: Why, it's a piece of shit?

Since when?
It might be stock, but it revs like f*ck and has a very strong bottom end for tuning with.
Thanks given by:
What I would love is a rotarized MX5, surprisingly I've never seen it done...

Really can't decide on either lol
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
I owned a mk1 MX5 for about a year, and they are amazing fun.

However, they simply are not powerful enough. The engines are pretty revvy, and will go to 8k without too much fuss, but 115 bhp and a 120mph top speed is pretty lame compared to pretty much any car on the market these days.

Handling is awesome, but really you would need to add on a couple of grand to get a proper turbo kit installed, a lot of the guys I know used TD04s, although the GT series Garretts are getting more popular now.

The comments about MR2s in this weather are spot on, handling is extremely snappy, and finding a decent unabused example is getting harder.
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
mx3 v6
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
I thought there were a couple of rotary mx5s about..? Sure i was only reading an article on one a few weeks back...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Mx5 and turbo it!
[Image: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-00000000014E_zpsprynorkl.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Skyline...
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(11-10-2013, 08:25 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: please don't say AE86/S13/S14/R32/R33, if I had the money I'd straight away have an Initial D replica AE86 but I don't earn enough money Sad
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
What do you intend to use the car for?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2013, 05:55 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: What I would love is a rotarized MX5, surprisingly I've never seen it done...

(12-10-2013, 09:24 AM)Poodle Wrote: I thought there were a couple of rotary mx5s about..?

Yep there is a few been done.

(11-10-2013, 11:47 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: Since when?
It might be stock, but it revs like f*ck and has a very strong bottom end for tuning with.

Go to all the time, go through all the effort, spend all that money and then you've still gotta spend more time, spend more money and go through more effort to tune the engine just to get decent power out of it????

Waste of time, waste of money, start with a decent engine in the first place.
Thanks given by:
Mate of mine has an mx5, first few days great fun, driving with the roof down if you havent doe it before is great fun, but now he hates it, so much so he bought a 6 and loves it.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2013, 11:55 AM)r3k1355 Wrote: Waste of time, waste of money, start with a decent engine in the first place.

It's compact, has a low CoG, is lighter than the stock engine and very strong, it's only held back by the intake and cams. Easily sorted for a few quid and a bit of time for anyone capable of fitting it to start with anyway. Hell even without the cams you can get 200 out of it.

Of course, you could just slap a big engine in there, boast about your power output online, but have an ill-handling pig instead.

Rotary engine needs some work around the bulkhead area as it sits so far back, but you can bolt it to the MX-5 'box, or the RX-8 one will fit underneath the '5's chassis.
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2013, 11:55 AM)r3k1355 Wrote: Waste of time, waste of money, start with a decent engine in the first place.

S13/S14 can be had for £1,000-£2,000, a load more car for the money.

14's can be tuned to 300BHP for pennies.

As r3k13355 says, unless you want a tramp car that you can chuck into the corner without fear of crashing it then start off with something a bit better...!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Depends if you're just after straight line power or handling prowess really.

Just slap bigger engine in the 306 if you want to go fast in a straight line.
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2013, 07:36 AM)Toby Wrote: I owned a mk1 MX5 for about a year, and they are amazing fun.

However, they simply are not powerful enough. The engines are pretty revvy, and will go to 8k without too much fuss, but 115 bhp and a 120mph top speed is pretty lame compared to pretty much any car on the market these days.

I keep meaning to test drive a mk1 mx5 but I think this will be the case, there's a lot of open roads in Devon/Cornwall and I think it would just feel too under-powered and the fantastic handling would just exasperate this.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
That's why the fact they're so easy and cheap to turbo/supercharge comes in. There's no need to fit another engine when the standard one is good for 250bhp on standard internals. It's a turbo engine with the turbo removed, so it's ideal.
Thanks given by:
I think a lot of people are missing the point of an mx5 mr2 they're not about power but light weight nimble cars that are great fun to drive.
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Is it a 306? A 405? NO!... A Eunos. Toby 22 4,360 15-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Toby