Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bavarian
That height looks perfect buddy!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Nice height mate Smile
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Sitting very nice Wink
Thanks given by:
Cheers all Big Grin

Its amazing what a set of cheap coilies can do for a car haha.
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2014, 02:53 PM)tenwierdufos Wrote: Its amazing what a set of cheap coilies can do for a car haha.

Indeed Smile
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Slippy clutch is very slippy Sad

In other more light hearted news however,
picture whoring Smile

[Image: 1921926_10151963377291820_1418702702_n_zpscd1f3098.jpg]

[Image: _DSC2908_zps73defe79.jpg]

[Image: _DSC3155_zps79afcba4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Video 
Yesterday was new clutch day!

(an expensive but happy day)

Went to see a good friend of mine in stoke to abuse his ramp, would have been impossible to do on the side of the road. Also good to have his help on the bit where the box is lifted out, as a well known weakiling...

[Image: IMG_0181_zps7af299f8.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0182_zps1bec1037.jpg]

It wasnt worn down really, but it was very shiny and slippy, so must have had a rather abusive previous owner, the kind who likes to ride the clutch at traffic lights because the handbrake is too much effort...

[Image: IMG_0184_zpsf816465b.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0185_zps4f1417f4.jpg]

And last but not least, just a wee vid so i could hear what the thing sounds like from outside the car! A diesel that is raspy, mind blown...

It is VERY smokey, off boost with the fueling switch flipped, but if thats off or after the boost has built up, its really not that bad.

Oh yes, also, as an experiment i cable tied shut my turbo wastegate. It will make 2 bar exactly in full beans mode! Goes VERY well for it too... wonder how much abuse at 2 bar this lump can take...

Oh! I thought i blew a boost hose off too, turned out big boost blew the map sensor pipe instead hahah
Thanks given by:
about time you got a proper chip on there :p
Thanks given by:
Need some pump advice if anyone can grace me with some! Might be asking the wrong place though, it appears to have a Bosch VP20

I have a leak, between the ally top and steel bottom half of the pump, its mighty bad, you can see it flowing on idle and smell it in the car!

Is it possible to replace the seals in these? Anyone know where i might be able to aquire some? And if push comes to shove and i have to replace the pump... do we recon its going to be coded to the ecu, all the wires to it are black which kind of makes me think it will be.

Sorry for the bad pictures was hard to get some, pics were with engine off also!
[Image: IMG_0224_zpsbe67a80d.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0225_zpscba9577a.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0229_zps342e9851.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0230_zps75d873dc.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Think i have managed to source a seal set, panic over for now Tongue
Thanks given by:
I dont like being able to see inside the pump, its scary

Also had an annoying sort of triangular security bit that was bypassed with the wrong socket and a hammer.

[Image: IMG_0236_zps91aee25a.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0238_zps7c4ff424.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0239_zpsa8df65f0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If push comes to shove, VE baby!

Looks to me like a VP37.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2014, 03:19 PM)Ruan Wrote: If push comes to shove, VE baby!

Looks to me like a VP37.

I believe you are correct/hope you are, because thats what i ordered a seal kit for! Haha

Its only got 2 mouting bolts on the front which i havent seen before, all the cars i have worked on had 3

Also has a sealing face to go into the timing case to stop the oil coming out.

[Image: 9.png]
Thanks given by:
Going back together!!!

I got a bit worried when i got back to it today because the fuel pump appeard to have emptied itself somewhere, the fuel inlet is on the bottom half of the pump so i hope, that it syphoned back to the tank haha.

The top half of the pump it turns out slides forwards and back as a kind of really inaccurate fuelling adjustment, it seems 1mm one way it hunts and 1mm the other way full throttle barely does anything... Managed to get it "ok" however it seems a bit more agressive with the fuelling than before. Time will tell if its too much!

Also decided to throw some new bleed lines on and a bit of silicon between the inlet manifold and the head to keep all the boost in! Looks like it was leaking before.

[Image: _DSC3256_zps19cc637f.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0244_zpsed2cbfed.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0247_zps32af1746.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hmmm updates updates.

Replaced a dodgy brake caliper that didn't do anything.

Smoked out mainland Europe a bit, went for a lap on the ring while I was passing through, seemed rude not to! Wonder if a 318tds has been on there before...

Bought an Arduino kit today, determined to go VNT with this...

Random themed piccatures.

[Image: 10277775_526161434161096_833628805617895...0e1656.jpg]

[Image: 1926803_10152044045345882_23891208504362...2dc47c.jpg]

[Image: DSC_4106_zps7e1cd742.jpg]
Thanks given by:
A screen with things on it.

Sorted so far:
old 320d turbo for test fit/repair
controller and screen built/set up
basic testing VNT map made

Left to buy/do for this project:
GT1749v core
Exhaust system from a 325td/s
boost pipes
Map sensor
Crank sensor
a billion other sensors and make a small turbo loom
Steal an N75 valve from a Volkswagen

[Image: IMG_0678_zps3f9ebfd1.jpg]
[Image: DSC_4512_zps67167275.jpg]
[Image: signaturerrf_zps1c82612b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nice work, are they pre programmed and just need suitable mapping?

I'd love a vnt on my 2.5!
Thanks given by:
Not pre-programmed at all, but don't look too hard to work out.

Not the first person on this forum to have done it by any means either haha
Thanks given by:
heh I guess not, how much is it costing?
Thanks given by:
(17-06-2014, 07:05 PM)welshpug Wrote: heh I guess not, how much is it costing?

Saying that actually, what I mean is that the map isn't pre programmed at all, there is a chap who has done most the software work though!

http://dmn.kuulalaakeri.org/vnt-lda/

I am hoping I can keep it below £300 all in.

Only spent about £70 so far, but need to source some bits off a 320d and want to chuck a 325tds exhaust system on there while I am at it if possible!
Thanks given by:
Managed to get it working with a lot of the sensors already in the car Smile

MAP, TPS and Coolent temp connected up and working!

[Image: IMG_0694_zps376f6b8e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
See I'm wondering right, do you think it'd be worth your while converting to the EDC15 from a VAG AHU TDi - I don't reckon it'd be a massive amount of work at all, the pump looms should be identical, it's just a case of splicing what inputs are needed from the car loom (i.e. throttle position etc) and then you'd pretty much be sorted for being able to write maps over OBD - doubt it'd take much to get it working nicely, reflashing otp prom chips etc is going to turn into a nightmare especially when testing - people really don't seem to know the older ECUs very well at al!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
It might be an option further down the line, never looked into anything like that to be honest.

The main issue that might come of it is if it won't talk to non engine parts in my car, e.g. Climate, dash, abs (the abs in the car is can bus even though nothing else in the car isn't and it doesn't even have OBD!)
Thanks given by:
Mentioned this to a mate earlier, and he said hmmm, but just stick an *30D in...
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2014, 10:00 PM)welshpug Wrote: Mentioned this to a mate earlier, and he said hmmm, but just stick an *30D in...

Welcome to 99% of people on BMW owners forums, this is why I don't really use them haha.

A few years back I did a petrol engine conversion and went to some for a bit of info (was putting a 1.9 16v engine into a car which was old enough to have the old old 1.6 8v with no immobilizer)

The only responses I could get out of anyone was either "just buy a 318is" or "I am not telling you that you are just trying to steal cars"

I am more interested in finding out what the little 1.7 can do. More fun! (and if/when it explodes then I may look to an engine upgrade Smile )
Thanks given by:
^^ This is my general experiencing when it comes to the bimmer forums too...

They don't have much ambition when it comes to DIY tuning and it's largely "Just buy an M3 mate"

Liking this project btw, and would be mental with a VNT'd 6 pot under the hood when that one goes pop
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Excellent work, looking forward to seeing what this thing can do. Makes me really want to get mine out again!
Theres an Irish forum, BMWdriver.net and theres two threads on it you'd find particularly interesting. Ones a 325tds and he has that he can map it, its all beyond me tbh, and theres another with a 318tds whoz going down a similar route
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2014, 11:44 PM)Harky Wrote: Excellent work, looking forward to seeing what this thing can do. Makes me really want to get mine out again!
Theres an Irish forum, BMWdriver.net and theres two threads on it you'd find particularly interesting. Ones a 325tds and he has that he can map it, its all beyond me tbh, and theres another with a 318tds whoz going down a similar route

Cheers will have a look on there see if I can find their projects Smile
Thanks given by:
The VNT might have to be put on hold for a little bit...

For anyone who hasn't seen on facebook, this reasonable sized piece of exhaust fell off a van on the m1, went under N/S/F wheel, somehow didnt pop the wheel but did manage to totally write off my wing, arch liner and headlight

:|

unhappy.

Think I am on a bad luck streak though, because the day after I got a screw in my van tyre and then today the engine management light on the van also haha.

Wonder what tomorrow will bring.

[Image: IMG_0738_zps24d364d4.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0736_zps0cabee26.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0734_zps1552359b.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0741_zps5a45650f.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hope you managed to get the sods number plate, stuff like that pisses me off. Will it beat out for the most part?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: