Home Brew Straight Pipe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Brew Straight Pipe
Have started making my straight pipe, bought some 2.25 piping from motoglass and have some bends from my MG ZR mid pipe, using them to create the bends in my pug, perfect 2.25 bends too!

Heres a teaser of how far ive got, gonna cut and weld the rest and hopefully fit it tonight!

[Image: tuvyqygy.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looking good! You can use a midbox for a backbox, it's straight through by design and keeps it legal for plod and mots.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeahh im going to try a full straight through first, friend had one on his XUD and never got hassle about it.

Think im safe as long as I don't pass the cops on full chat lol!

Got on pretty far, havent welded in over 2 years so my welding is very ropey and I borrowed the welder which isnt great as im not used to it.. but here you guys are anyway!

[Image: evehe6a2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks good!!!

im having a pipe put in my backbox so its straight thru butim also having the pipe drilled with lots of holes so hopefully when not on full throttle the backbox can soak up some of the sound. Doubt it will!!!

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Looks good except the welds haha! Gonna grind them down 2moro and see if I have any holes in them

[Image: myseja8a.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Fair play, fingers crossed then. Smile

Tbf the hdi is pretty quiet at low levels of tune, even Jonny's stage 2+ with a 2.5" straight through isn't that loud at full chat.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(03-10-2013, 08:00 AM)Poodle Wrote: Fair play, fingers crossed then. Smile

Tbf the hdi is pretty quiet at low levels of tune, even Jonny's stage 2+ with a 3" straight through isn't that loud at full chat.

Efa lol

Smaller doesn't necessarily mean quieter though, higher gas velocity makes more noise on full chat in my experience
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
The most irritating thing is that although Diesels don't SOUND that loud, that's because the noise they make doesn't travel that well... Unfortunately on trackdays their SPL meters don't distinguish between frequencies that carry well and frequencies that don't...

Hence why you have piss irritating VTECs on track going "NYAARRRRPPPPP", yet a HDi which no one else can hear isn't allowed on track lol!

I've found that a smaller bore pipe makes a "raspier" noise - you hear the airflow more, whereas a big fat pipe, you'll actually hear the cylinders fire... But just wait until you put a turbo with a big turbine wheel on - that's when you really get loud diesels...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Quote:But just wait until you put a turbo with a big turbine wheel on - that's when you really get loud diesels...

This,

Or VNT with the vanes wide open
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Ill be sure to get a little sound clip of it fitted, hoping it all fits ok in the bends of the car, my angles were very close or the same so dont see why not!
Thanks given by:
OK Guys, got the new exhaust studs in and the downpipe all tacked up, took it off, welded it properly and got the hanger sorted, just have to get it off again and sort out the rear pipe for the bumper exit.

tell me this; is it normal with no rear exit pipe (sound echoeing i think?) for it to be REALLY loud? I've heard straight throughs before and the zr diesel had a straight through with a 'straight through' stainless backbox. Sounds drastic, im hoping its only cause the rear exit isnt done and the sound is hitting the boot floor pan and rear bumper?
Thanks given by:
The sound will be resonating in the air gap underneath the boot, got the same problem on the 205 - droney as fook, right?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
yeah it's absolutely hectic! Couldnt drive it about like that, hoping it stays dry tomorrow as i'll get it off again and weld the back pipe on in the right position!

was working on it till around 9:30PM;

- pipe screwed on, marked up, off, tacked, on, correct, off, fully welded, then onto the next bit. It's a lengthy process when the cars jacked up on the street and my welder is in the shed behind the house! But i got there in the end, weirdly proud as i know people spend a fortune getting them made, and its all basically 2.25 'mandrel bends' due to the bends being the same size throughout, so no complaints! Be a happy chap once its got the tailpipe on
Thanks given by:
Looks good, should sound epic fully straight through
[Image: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-00000000014E_zpsprynorkl.jpg]
Thanks given by:
My exhaust is straight pipe with a pipe welded in back box. As said they really not that loud. I've never had problem with the police wuth it.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Youd be surprised at how quickly you get used to it lol. Downward- pointing tip would help even more.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(05-10-2013, 07:13 AM)Poodle Wrote: Youd be surprised at how quickly you get used to it lol. Downward- pointing tip would help even more.

I couldn't drive it the way it is, I cudnt drive anywhere without getting all sorts of stares lol!
Thanks given by:
I really like this, home brew pipe ftw.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Cost me very little aswell. Had the midpipe which done all my angles at 2.25 inch, bought 8ft of 2.25 at motoglass for £12 and had to buy welding rods for £14 so in all its cost me about £20 and is flowing well and I have yet to sort the rear exit
Thanks given by:
[Image: e3ejy2et.jpg]

And there we have it! Going to get some sort of tip on it and hang the back of it properly! Chuffed enough and the rear exiting pipe has solved the in car drone, still quite loud but should be grand!
Thanks given by:
Yes definitely try find a tip for it. I went for a 3" inch outward rolled tip on mine, fills the hole nicely *gigidy*
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2013, 05:38 PM)Connor Wrote: Yes definitely try find a tip for it. I went for a 3" inch outward rolled tip on mine, fills the hole nicely *gigidy*

You got a new system on yours now mate, sound better/anymore performance difference?
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2013, 05:47 PM)devils_fuel Wrote:
(05-10-2013, 05:38 PM)Connor Wrote: Yes definitely try find a tip for it. I went for a 3" inch outward rolled tip on mine, fills the hole nicely *gigidy*

You got a new system on yours now mate, sound better/anymore performance difference?

Yeah 2.5" stainless straight through, sounds the nuts Wink
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
Thanks given by:
Think if im getting a tip ill need to cut and reweld the pipe so its pointing straight as its slightly pointed to the left at the minute.

Sounds insane
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2013, 09:45 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote:
Quote:But just wait until you put a turbo with a big turbine wheel on - that's when you really get loud diesels...

This,

Or VNT with the vanes wide open

+1 for this
Thanks given by:
I did this with mine just for "fun", experience. 50mm stainless Smile

[Image: 63ir.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Is that just welded onto the standard pipe though? Get yourself a full straight through Wink
Thanks given by:
yes it was but it was just an experience. it's getting a full straight now with the option of the original back box or straight pipe like this. but it's 60mm stainless. Smile
Thanks given by:
Sounds goood! Yeah that straight pipe would remove a restriction on its own with the standard backbox being gone!
Thanks given by:
Do not use the standard back box, if you want to keep 1 of the boxes, then centre box would be best
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  is this a complete straight pipe? rtha6551 5 1,609 29-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Last Post: silverzx