Engine mount

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine mount
Hi all

Having a minor problem with my 2001 hdi estate, when I pull away or I floor it in 2nd, the decat pipe bangs the subframe. If I put poly mounts on the exhaust to stop it, the downpipe separates from the turbo elbow an the exhaust blows.

So I'm thinking the engine is moving too much, are my engine mounts on their way out?

Is there one particular mount that is responsible for this excess movement?

I'm thinking the lower gearbox mount but but could do with some confirmation

Cheers
Thanks given by:
take the top mount off and see if it has broken out from the chasiss
Thanks given by:
Cheers dude, is that the one top left as you look down on the engine?
Thanks given by:
yup on the drivers wing Wink
Thanks given by:
Nice one, do I need to support the engine to do this?

When you say come away from the chassis, do you mean corrosion?
Thanks given by:
It doesnt matter whether its corroded or cracked, if its come away from the chassis its f*cked lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(29-09-2013, 01:14 PM)Poodle Wrote: It doesnt matter whether its corroded or cracked, if its come away from the chassis its f*cked lol.

Obviously.

What I meant was does he mean the chassis might be corroded?
Thanks given by:
When mine had gone it was the engine mount that had broken.. But the chassis can crack and the captive nut underneath is then no good.

Pics of mine with the engine mount broken. I replaced it with a cheap motor factor part and that was rubbish, so removed and returned that and fitted a genuine Pug one iirc it was around 54 quid all in.

Mine was knocking under acceleration and when i started to look around i found it made this noise..

[Image: th_VIDEO0012_zpse9e9ce0f.jpg]

And when i took it apart this is what i found.....

[Image: IMAG0763_zps39e549e9.jpg]

The bottom of the mount was till screwed into the chassis, so a hammer and screw driver and then mole grips got it out..

[Image: IMAG0762_zpsbec387cc.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0764_zps2515314b.jpg]

Luckily my chassis was ok !!

[Image: IMAG0765_zps4bcbace6.jpg]

BUT if your not so lucky and the chassis bit is broken it can look like this...

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-16377-po...#pid316794
Thanks given by:
Cool, cheers mate.

Was it an easy(ish) swap?
Do I need to support the motor?
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2013, 02:10 PM)mad306man Wrote: Cool, cheers mate.

Was it an easy(ish) swap?
Do I need to support the motor?

Wasn't to bad, yeah you need to support the engine, i did it with a trolley jack and a lump of wood under the sump.

I managed to get it all apart and the new mount back in on my own, but when it came to refitting the top bracket it was harder to do on my own trying to move the engine back into position and get the bracket in place and get all the bolts in, so gave my neighbour a shout, so when i was moving the engine he got the bracket in place and the bolts in was much easier with 2 people and from start to finish took about an hour.

I have just replaced all 3 of the mounts on mine just to make sure, a powerflex lower one as the rubber had started to split and come away from the outer casing, and a new gearbox mount to.

It would be worth checking all the mounts really just to make sure. but with the top one gone in mine the engine moved around quite a bit, as you can see in the video, that was just me moving it using the plastic engine cover.
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2013, 01:45 PM)mad306man Wrote: Obviously.

What I meant was does he mean the chassis might be corroded?

Could be yeah, won't know until you look though. More likely it's just cracked, as Titch says.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
How do you actually remove it after you take the weight of the engine?
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Once the weight is off the engine, you remove the bracket over the top, then remove the buffers, then there is a bracket that bolts to the mount and across to the engine, iirc it is held on with 3 bolts, remove that, and then using a screwdriver or chisel and a hammer tap it round, there are slots on the top to put the screwdriver or chisel in. Or if it is broken like mine was once the weight is off the engine it will just fall out.
Thanks given by:
Had to really hit mine hard using a chisel to bite into the rim to turn it.
Few strong taps and you'll see it start to move.
Using an engine crane is great, easy to realign everything afterwards then!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gearbox engine mount DeeTurbo 15 2,865 17-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  So today I went to change an engine mount... jordanhdi 8 3,434 11-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Mattcheese31
  Lower engine mount dimensions highwayman306 15 3,416 23-05-2015, 07:23 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard