HELP NEEDED ... HUMMING NOISE .. SOUNDS LIKE WHEEL BEARING

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP NEEDED ... HUMMING NOISE .. SOUNDS LIKE WHEEL BEARING
My car is making a humming noise whenever driving straight or round a right hand bend ... i had my wheel bearing replaced only a month and half ago but only rrplaced a broken droplink with new knew ones a few weeks ago and has been getting worse and worse ... i originally thought it was due to having a broken droplink and not rrplacing it but when ive jacked up the car the wheels sound silent :/ ... the only thing that makes it go away a bit is when going round a left hand bend or turning left.

Any ideas ???

Thanks.
Thanks given by:
Cheap wheel bearing that has failed already?
Thanks given by:
If it sounds like a wheel bearing.. its a wheel bearing.

Nothing to say it hasn't packed in again, I used a cheap one once that lasted literally weeks. Will be exaggerated especially if the guy who pressed it in did a shite job of it.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
i had this exact problem on the other side its the bearing
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
I know it sound like it but when the cars jacked up the wheels silent when driven so i dont think it is the bearing, any other ways of checking if its the bearing or not ? Thanks
Thanks given by:
If a wheel bearing isn't pressed in exactly straight (like when I tried to do it with a hammer and a block of wood) it'll die in no time mate.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Probably the bearing as above. Could also be a noisy tyre though, easy to check by swapping the wheels for a test drive.
Thanks given by:
theres no load when the cars jack up in the car on the wheel so might be a reason you cant hear it
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
drive in a straight line till you hear the noise;

turn slightly left or right while its noisy----if noise goes turning one direction, its the other side gone....in other words as a load is put on to one side by cornering it will be noisier.

just read op-----its the left bearing thats noisy----as you turn right.
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2013, 03:54 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: If a wheel bearing isn't pressed in exactly straight (like when I tried to do it with a hammer and a block of wood) it'll die in no time mate.

...lol
Bloody Northerners!
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2013, 04:03 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Probably the bearing as above. Could also be a noisy tyre though, easy to check by swapping the wheels for a test drive.

This /\/\

I had the same issue and i was convinced it was a wheel bearing i had even bought one ready to change, and i thought just before i do it i would swap the front tyres to the back just to make sure and the noise moved to the back, and it turned out to be a dodgy tyre and just by looking at it you couldn't tell, but it sounded exactly the same as a wheel bearing.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for all the help everyone ... massive help ... my in tank fuel pump went the other day so gotta get that changed today then sort the humming noise. I got new tryres and tracking done last week and the noice was still there so im convinced its the wheel bearing and the garage did a shit job fitting it. When ive sorted the pump no dojbt ill be baxk needing help with this humming again Smile
Thanks given by:
Exactly the same thing happening to mine at the moment, no need for a thread when all the info is in here!
Front bearing isn't easy to DIY with a press being needed then etc?
Thanks given by:
Nope i dont recommend you do it yourself as youll never get it in straight... then again make sure the garage is half decent otherwise youll end up with it going again pretty soon Sad ..... (if thats what mine is of course )
Thanks given by:
to be honest...its bloody difficult NOT to get it in straight!!!

if the bearing is good quality and the hub isnt buggered the tolerances are so tiny that it will just jamm solid if its not going in straight
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Have you done one yourself ? What did u use if you did Smile
Thanks given by:
(08-10-2013, 08:53 AM)Piggy Wrote: to be honest...its bloody difficult NOT to get it in straight!!!

if the bearing is good quality and the hub isnt buggered the tolerances are so tiny that it will just jamm solid if its not going in straight

Yeah, but if they've got the garage tea boy to press the new bearing in there's every chance he's battered the central part of the bearing to get it in and damaged it..
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
What normally happens is who ever does the job gets f*cked off / lets inside / outside of bearing split, and then grit / shit gets in there, this is what then goes on to f*ck the bearing..

Its pretty impossible to press it in on the piss..it will just pinch like f*ck if you do, it goes down and sits flush at the bottom when its fully in.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I smashed the one's old out and got a local garage to press them in for beer money.

Might be worth a try.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear Disk Wheel Bearing daveylennon93 21 6,916 06-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Last Post: dt_
  Weird banging noise when braking, advice needed. Spoonaltap 19 2,770 27-01-2017, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Spoonaltap
  Rear wheel bearing HDI? MY95 9 2,412 24-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Poodle