Led headlight bulbs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Led headlight bulbs
Saw these on the bay (hopefully the link will work, posting this on my phone):

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...0683859392

Anyone had any experience with them? I can imagine they give the usual LED white light, instead of the yellowish light of standard filament bulbs, I'm just not sure how well they'd light up a dark country lane for instance. There are cheaper ones with less smd's, but I think id rather have a set with more smd's if I WAS to get any. 120 per bulb seems fairly sufficient I reckon! lol

Thoughts?
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
spent a whole day looking into these....well not those crap smd led ones but CREE leds.

Smds simply are not projective and bright enough.

cree leds are hugely better but not quite there

the CREE leds are much improved but still wont give the same lumens as halogen bulbs.

the top ones would be close but would cost about £60/70 for a pair from abroad.

but give it time...they will get better
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, I literally just came across them while perusing eBay, spent the best part of about 5 minutes looking into it, hence I thought I'd ask if anyone on here had tried them.

I do need a new set of headlight bulbs, as one blew not long back, so I've only got one high beam bulb working now, but ill probably end up getting another set of nightbreakers tbh. Wink

Cheers for your input though piggy! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
if anyone finds the CREE ones with higher lumens Im game...but weirdly when you get to that level of halogen output they start getting very warm.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Osram Nightbreakers mate, £12 on eBay, quite white light, last ages, very good down a country road Smile
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
HID'S ftw
Thanks given by:
aftermarket HIDs for the illegal chav.

nightbreakers were a tenner on amazon I think...there was a thread on them recently
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
They're shit mate I tried them about a year ago very bright inside the housing but as piggy said no projection although I did use them for my tail lights and reverse lights and they did the job nicely
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
yeah for other things real nice...sidelights, indies etc

adam306, did you try any for side/brake lights and if so, did you buy white or red as I had tried white before behind a red lense, diff car, and they kinda came out pink!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I think that's likely to be the headlights rather than the bulbs mate, even in my crappy phase 2 single optics they're epic!
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2013, 08:41 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: I think that's likely to be the headlights rather than the bulbs mate, even in my crappy phase 2 single optics they're epic!

what are you talking about?!...leds?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2013, 08:42 AM)Piggy Wrote:
(27-09-2013, 08:41 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: I think that's likely to be the headlights rather than the bulbs mate, even in my crappy phase 2 single optics they're epic!

what are you talking about?!...leds?

Was replying to adamm306 mate, you just butted in ahead of me. Have you no concept of queueing? Just rude...
Thanks given by:
But adam was talking about leds!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2013, 08:45 AM)Piggy Wrote: But adam was talking about leds!?

Ah, never mind then. Thought he was replying to my comment about Nightbreakers lol
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2013, 08:48 AM)THE_Liam Wrote:
(27-09-2013, 08:45 AM)Piggy Wrote: But adam was talking about leds!?

Ah, never mind then. Thought he was replying to my comment about Nightbreakers lol

Doh

Yeah, nightbreakers are my bulb of choice as well Liam, epic bulbs for the price!

Adam, i never found any "dual filament" LED bulbs to use for the side/brakelights, but every other bulb on my car has been changed to LED. Had to get an electronic indicator relay so the indicators/hazards worked properly, but otherwise ive had no problem with them. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2013, 08:37 AM)Piggy Wrote: aftermarket HIDs for the illegal chav.

Wrong.
Thanks given by:
LED headlights are only just coming into production cars and I think they are fooking brilliant. Brighter than HIDs but they look very dull when looking into them so no being blinded by someone who has them!
Give it a few years and the technology will transfer across to aftermarket bulbs but how well they will work I don't know!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2013, 09:18 AM)JJ0063 Wrote:

Wrong.

its simple.

the headlights have to be designed for HIDs
you need auto height adjusters
you need washers for the headlights that work with windscreen washers

last time I checked a 306 didnt meet any of that criteria
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
MOT-pass-ability and legality are two different things!
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2013, 11:03 AM)Piggy Wrote:
(27-09-2013, 09:18 AM)JJ0063 Wrote:

Wrong.

its simple.

the headlights have to be designed for HIDs
you need auto height adjusters
you need washers for the headlights that work with windscreen washers

last time I checked a 306 didnt meet any of that criteria

My post never referred to a 306, get a vectra in your life. I digress, HID's ftw.
Thanks given by:
I didnt mention MOT. I said illegal

I also said aftermarket HIDs.

learn to read you old man in your cavalier Tongue
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2013, 11:07 AM)Piggy Wrote: I didnt mention MOT. I said illegal

Link to the law which states there illegality?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm sure aftermarket kits retroffited are illegal.

They need to have auto adjusting. Self cleaning and the correct lenses for the beam pattern.

I had them in my hdi. But on main beam. That was epic!
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't go without HID's now, never had an issue with them either - Passed MOT last year with them and I have my MOT in a few weeks & im sure it'll go through again with them too.

I have projectors as std but no washers.
Thanks given by:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/show...257&page=1
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2013, 08:40 AM)Piggy Wrote: yeah for other things real nice...sidelights, indies etc

adam306, did you try any for side/brake lights and if so, did you buy white or red as I had tried white before behind a red lense, diff car, and they kinda came out pink!

have a pic on my pc somewhere yeah they did shine a little pink along the top of the lens it was fine in the middle it looked kinda cool the effect though. very nice in the reverse lights and indicators though they were white ones

and wingnutz if you mean you cant find ones that do brake/tail they do exist i think i typed in "106 brake light smd" (i had a 106 at the time)

and as piggy said you need washers and auto adjusters for HID's no point on a 306 i just go down either 100w yellow bulbs which light up the road nice and are yellow which i prefer OR nightbreakers are the best option on a budget no point of messing with HID's only causes hassle from the plod and mot
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2013, 11:54 AM)adamm306 Wrote: wingnutz if you mean you cant find ones that do brake/tail they do exist i think i typed in "106 brake light smd" (i had a 106 at the time)

Yeah, when i was looking for some, it took me ages to find some that claimed they did both tail AND brake light in one bulb, but when they arrived, they didn't. Sad Just using the normal filament bulbs now, but if anyone knows where i could lay my hands on LED tail/brake bulbs, let me know! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
theres loads on ebay saying that they are 21w/5w leds...

are we saying that they basically dont do them!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Children stop your bitch fest or ill stop it with becauseracebanhammer

Anyway shows how far the market has some along because I had LED tail light bulbs 7 years ago and they were terrible, went straight in the bin and they werent even ebay shit
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum - Have i missed something? Or are you referring to the HID argument?

Piggy - Im not saying they dont do them, i just couldnt find any that actually worked as they should have.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Uprated headlight bulbs Fooby 12 3,192 23-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Last Post: 4WayDiablo