Is it even worth the hassle?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it even worth the hassle?
My HDi died last Monday in the work car park and was turning over but not firing up apart from for a second or two the first time I tried :/ then it cut out again

Towed it to a garage on Friday and got it back yesterday, the mechanic had cleaned the MAF, a few connections (not sure which lol) and fully charged the battery

It lasted all of 25 miles then I tried to go for a late night shopping trip and it was just doing the same thing as before :/ the mechanic did say the diagnostics brought up some issues with fuel pressure so it wouldn't have been a long term fix, but I didn't think it would be as short as the same day haha

Rang him today could be anything he said, he suspected fuel pump, leaking injectors or an air leak/lock? Diagnosing it and sorting it would not be cheap so it was up to me if I wanted to take it back down

Anybody have any idea what it could be, and is it worth repairing? :/

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Lift pump almost for certain...

Ask him if he put it on diagnostics and if the code P0230 came up... The usual descriptor for that code is usually "Fuel Pump Primary (Control) Circuit Malfunction"

Which on the 2.0 8v HDis means that the actual pressure is lower than the requested pressure... I.e. the lift pump isn't supplying enough pressure to start it...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
That doesn't necessarily mean the lift pump at all, only seen a couple of cases where the lift pump was the issue, despite popular internet dogma. Seen more fixed by changing the fuel filter lol. Its fixable, if you're paying someone else to fix it itll be expensive, but you'll get fa selling it if its not running, catch 22 really...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Defo worth fixing but as poodle says it will be expensive if your paying someone to do it and for brand new parts. If you swap for known good second hand parts it could be good.

Is the car cutting out and then letting you restart or is it dead once its cut out?
Did the problem suddenly start or has it been working its way in over time?
What mileage is your car?
What stage of tune are you at?
Thanks given by:
(26-09-2013, 04:14 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Defo worth fixing but as poodle says it will be expensive if your paying someone to do it and for brand new parts. If you swap for known good second hand parts it could be good.

Is the car cutting out and then letting you restart or is it dead once its cut out?
Did the problem suddenly start or has it been working its way in over time?
What mileage is your car?
What stage of tune are you at?

It has been suggested it is a fuelling issue which would make sense but I'm no mechanic :/

It doesn't start at all, just turns over until it drains the presumably weak battery :/ when trying to bump start it down the steep hill I live on, it brings on the PAS and power braking but sits at 800rpm and there is nothing from the accelerator :/

It happened literally between me going into work and coming out, car had been driving fine before that although sometimes it clicked when turning the key and took a few times to get it to turn over but it always started first time after that, faulty starter motor?

162k miles running standard power, only mod is decat/debackbox

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Ahhhh, Check all the fuses in the car (yes every single one) and replace any that look iffy.

Jonny and me have both had this problem as have others, a really random fuse randomly blows and it prevents the car from starting.
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2013, 07:31 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Ahhhh, Check all the fuses in the car (yes every single one) and replace any that look iffy.

Jonny and me have both had this problem as have others, a really random fuse randomly blows and it prevents the car from starting.

All fuses under dash and in engine box intact :/

No sound at all from the lift pump when ignition is turned on, even with the seat off and the rubber lid off
Thanks given by:
Theres your problem, check to see if you're getting voltage to the pump. If you are then its the pump at fault, if not try the brown relay behind the ecu.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
My car died on me last october. First signs were that it was taking a few more turns than usual to get going. Eventually it did just go. had to use a bit of brake cleaner to get it started to go to the garage and what not. After a number of tests and bizz that cost enough as it was, the problem came back as a faulty pump and injectors. Peugeot quoted me something like 1400 to fix it. Was never going to do that.

Once i knew what i needed, took it to a local mechanic(friend) who got the parts cheaper and did the labour for next to nothing. That cost me 600 on top of 300 from peugeot(no places could figure out what the exact problem was apart from them :/ ) At the time, i was debating whether to just use the 600 to buy a little run around. But i'm glad i didnt, got the car fixed and shes been running great ever since! I like the car too much to get rid haha!
Thanks given by:
Ah pal. £300 for peugeot to diagnose one of these!?.... you could of bought PP for £50?

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Lift pump fixed at a cost of £130 including new OEM pump, towing of my car from the football club where I left it to the independent garage and fitting Smile

Not a bad price but one I could have done without! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Thats a bargain tbf.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: