Smoky HDI

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoky HDI
Mine failed the smoke test last week 8 point something. I put a bottle of Diesel Magic in 1/4 tank of fuel and did 30 miles at 75 in 3rd gear. Back to the MOT tester 1.36 on the smoke test. Great stuff, I have never seen the smoke drop that much on any other car!
Thanks given by:
8 point something!? Do you ever normally drive over 20mph? Confused
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2013, 10:33 AM)Toms306 Wrote: 8 point something!? Do you ever normally drive over 20mph? Confused
I drive in town all the time for work and stop the car literally 100 times a day. I can't odds it really.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, probably would've been better off with a petrol in that case lol!

Still I've yet to see a HDi make a reading like that before! The chip will more than likely be the main cause though.

Also, for future, you don't have to keep starting threads about similar things, you could've put all three threads in just one. Smile
Thanks given by:
Tell the mot station to sort their act out, they're meant to purge dervs before testing for that exact reason.

And fyi the injector cleaner had nothing to do with it, it's the high exhaust temps from running at 75 in third that will have done the job, but a few quick 30-70 burns would have done the same job without wasting so much fuel.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(21-09-2013, 02:11 PM)Poodle Wrote: Tell the mot station to sort their act out, they're meant to purge dervs before testing for that exact reason.

And fyi the injector cleaner had nothing to do with it, it's the high exhaust temps from running at 75 in third that will have done the job, but a few quick 30-70 burns would have done the same job without wasting so much fuel.

Cheers I was just glad to get it through. I had none of this trouble with my old 1.9 non turbo 405. It probably suited my unfortunately necessary driving style!
Thanks given by:
The thing is your old old 405 didn't have a cat/particle filter to get get blocked up with soot.
Thanks given by:
Lols 30 miles at 75!

All you had to do was rinse it on the way there. New air filter always helps it breathe before hand as well.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Bet that turbo was glowing red after 30 miles at 75 in 3rd...

If that was done to even a stage 1 XUD you'd probably melt the turbine wheel!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Feck me, that'll have cleaned the exhaust out for sure!

I normally just rag the knackers off it en route to the test station, my HDi passed the other day at 0.3.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by: