Help urgent!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help urgent!!
Hi everyone,
I swapped my broken engine out for a working one. Exactly the same engine just less miles.
Now it won't fire up, after the swap it had fault codes about injectors open.
Cleared the codes and it started and drove fine.
Went to work, finished work 5 hours later, and now it won't start, plugged in my fault reader, same codes again so I cleared them again but this time nothing :/ I changed the green screw in plug on top of the gearbox and it fired first time. I let It run for 5 mins, went in for a drink came out went to start again and nothing, one thing I noticed was that I can't here my fuel lift pump behind me or hear the engine priming, could anyone please help me, either a fix, previous experiences and suggestions.
Thankyou......again Smile
Thanks given by:
If you cant here it priming that points to lift pump broke to me. I think it has a fuse you could check.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Also the brown relay behind battery which controls lift pump
Bitron unit
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
One of the gearbox earths isnt bolted down properly would be my guess.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2013, 09:04 PM)Tom Wrote: If you cant here it priming that points to lift pump broke to me. I think it has a fuse you could check.

The lift pump was absolutely fine 100%, before my cambelt snapped so I don't see why it would of stopped working. But I'll try a new one see what happens Smile

Thanks

(21-09-2013, 09:08 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Also the brown relay behind battery which controls lift pump
Bitron unit

I swapped out my relay for a one out my mates car and it still did nothing, really starting to annoy me now as something simple is making me so frustrated lol

Thanks

(21-09-2013, 09:27 PM)Niall Wrote: One of the gearbox earths isnt bolted down properly would be my guess.

This is one thing were yet to check, but the weird thing Is it drove me for about 5 miles home, parked, went in, changed, came out, car started drove me about 2 miles to work absolutely fine, then after my shift it wouldn't start, I then swapped out the green plug on top of the gearbox and it fired up and idled fine for 5 mins. Cut out. And wouldn't start again :/

Any other ideas? Thanks
Thanks given by:
Someone said to me it could be the crankshaft sensor? Any thoughts?.
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2013, 01:28 PM)Keeno123 Wrote: Someone said to me it could be the crankshaft sensor? Any thoughts?.

Thats a good shout but i would also expect intermittent running issues with that. If you can get your hands on a spare, id try it as its only 5 mins to change.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(22-09-2013, 04:28 PM)Niall Wrote:
(22-09-2013, 01:28 PM)Keeno123 Wrote: Someone said to me it could be the crankshaft sensor? Any thoughts?.

Thats a good shout but i would also expect intermittent running issues with that. If you can get your hands on a spare, id try it as its only 5 mins to change.

I'm a complete novice to all this, why would a crankshaft sensor cut power to the fuel pump?
I'll go to the garage tomorrow and get them to try that before they bend me over for parts I don't need lol thanks
Thanks given by:
The crankshaft sensor tells the ECU where the pistons are at any time. THe ECU needs to know this to know when to inject the fuel so if it doesnt know where the pistons are, it could be injecting onto closed valves and then you wont get anything.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(22-09-2013, 07:21 PM)Niall Wrote: The crankshaft sensor tells the ECU where the pistons are at any time. THe ECU needs to know this to know when to inject the fuel so if it doesnt know where the pistons are, it could be injecting onto closed valves and then you wont get anything.

Ok thanks. But the lift pump doesn't make any attempt at all, would that be because if the sensors knackered then It won't activate the pump??
Thanks given by:
If the pump isn't priming, and you know the brown relay works then either your car is immobilised or the pump is f*cked.

My LP pump packed up with no prior warning, just cut out on me whilst driving.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
As Si said, if the pump isnt priming will be one of the following:

- Pump dead (unlikely)
- double function relay not working (or wiring to that. I hit a bump once and it upset a wire going to that)
- immobiliser (when you changed engine, did you use existing ECU or one from car where engine came from)
- dodgey earth

I think it would be unlikely to be immobilser, pump etc. I would check the earths as Niall said. I changed my gearbox mount and then car wouldnt start (pump not priming). Checked earths etc and they were fine. I unbolted them and put them back exactly as they were and it worked fine and has done since.

French cars lol
Chris
1999 China GTi6 Supercharged track car
2000 Bianca LX non turbo slowness

Team: I hate Sam Rowell's stanceboard!
Thanks given by:
Thankyou everyone. At least I know where to start now lol
Will update soon Smile
Thanks given by:
Oh and the inertia cut off switch is connected properly and securely yeah?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(25-09-2013, 08:56 AM)Niall Wrote: Oh and the inertia cut off switch is connected properly and securely yeah?

Yeah Smile now my battery seems to be dead, everything was fine before I swapped out the lump :/
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a bad earth to me mate.
Chris
1999 China GTi6 Supercharged track car
2000 Bianca LX non turbo slowness

Team: I hate Sam Rowell's stanceboard!
Thanks given by: