DW10 vs DHX vs DHY Rods

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DW10 vs DHX vs DHY Rods
Just out of curiosity while I had all 3 sets together at the same time. From left to right we have DW10, DHX and DHY. When I took the photo I thought the DW10 and DHX rods were the same, but looking at the photo I now think the DW10 is slightly beefier. The DHY on the right is clearly a lot thinner, which backs up it's reputation for throwing rods more readily than the DHX. Does anyone know if it's only physical dimensions that differ between DW10 and XUD rods? Or does the DW10 use some other manufacturing process for added strength? I note a colour difference but that could be down to other factors.

Another interesting thing I found was that the DHX uses slightly different rings and pistons than the DHY and as such they can't be mixed and matched.

[Image: rods.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Interesting to see the 3 rods all next to each other. There is defiantly a noticeable difference
Thanks given by:
What he said ^^ Nice to see the difference.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
The dw10 rods are significantly lighter than the XUD rods too to me suggesting a different if not better manufacturing process, have spat dw10 rods before though
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
the dhx and dhy rods are the same.

the stories about the differences between dhx/y and d8a strengths is more to do with the block as they all share the same rods.

I thought it was common knowledge that dw10 rods were lighter and beefier?!?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ive never seen a difference between any XUD rods (d8a/dhy/dhx) just the colour of the engine oil embedded making them look different. The 8v hdi ones are a bit stronger, but all of them are weak as a fart tbh....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
my farts are pretty strong to be honest
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I can say for certain that the rods out of my DHY are definitely thinner at the neck than the rods that came out of the DHX!
Thanks given by:
(17-09-2013, 02:41 PM)ally406 Wrote: I can say for certain that the rods out of my DHY are definitely thinner at the neck than the rods that came out of the DHX!

but they are the same rods!??
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Piggy, they look different to me.. lol
Thanks given by:
I thought I'd post an update to this. Piggy states that the rods are the same, and he's absolutely correct. The first couple of rods that came out of my DHX block had the markings on the side worn off so I didn't notice this at the time. However, I have since inspected the 2 other rods from this block, and they are marked as DW10. So the first 2 rods in the picture are in fact DW10 rods, not XUD.

This leads me to a strange conclusion. I appear to have an XUD block with DW10 rods already fitted. I thought I was going a mad, but I have 8 DW10 rods in my garage now, and I've certainly only ordered 4. I purchased the DHX block from a breakers, apparently from a '99 Citroen Synergie. Everything looked factory and there was no sign of anyone having fiddled with it. Has anyone heard of this happening before?
'95 Peugeot 405 GLX with XU10J4RS and ITB's
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9TD with TD04
'05 RenaultSport 182 Cup
Thanks given by:
Parts bin special. Standard!!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by: