Best steels to get banded?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best steels to get banded?
(14-09-2013, 07:14 PM)Birk Wrote: Just stick with a standard 6" wide Berlingo steel at et18 and add 2 or 2.5"

Cheap to get hold of and look mint.

They are ET32 mate, not ET18 as that I put on the 2.1 sedan

(17-09-2013, 11:29 AM)cwspellowe Wrote: Not thinking this through Chris. Yes the offset of the wheel will be similar to standard ET18 but the inset of the wheel will be the same as the ET32 standard wheel as the band is usually on the outside edge. This means the distance to the inner arch does not change and in effect you'll be fitting an ET32 steel wheel to the car in terms of inner arch gap.

See here, this is with the standard wheel to give an idea what moves and what doesn't. I've shown the standard centreline and offset in relation to it, yes the diagram shows a negative offset wheel but it makes drawing it easier.
A 7" wide ET32 wheel would be f*cking close to the inner arch, it's pretty much Ford offset and they're chuffing close to rubbing on stuff. If only someone had those steels that could give a valid insight...

Chris you missed my point. ET31 wheels clear if your beam is straight and you don't have big tyres so using those wheels would give you a better chance of having wide wheels without having to do a stupid amount of arch work.

All well and good being able to get/make 10" wide wheels but not everyone wants stick on arches or altered bodywork.
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2013, 10:52 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(14-09-2013, 07:14 PM)Birk Wrote: Just stick with a standard 6" wide Berlingo steel at et18 and add 2 or 2.5"

Cheap to get hold of and look mint.

They are ET32 mate, not ET18 as that I put on the 2.1 sedan

(17-09-2013, 11:29 AM)cwspellowe Wrote: Not thinking this through Chris. Yes the offset of the wheel will be similar to standard ET18 but the inset of the wheel will be the same as the ET32 standard wheel as the band is usually on the outside edge. This means the distance to the inner arch does not change and in effect you'll be fitting an ET32 steel wheel to the car in terms of inner arch gap.

See here, this is with the standard wheel to give an idea what moves and what doesn't. I've shown the standard centreline and offset in relation to it, yes the diagram shows a negative offset wheel but it makes drawing it easier.
A 7" wide ET32 wheel would be f*cking close to the inner arch, it's pretty much Ford offset and they're chuffing close to rubbing on stuff. If only someone had those steels that could give a valid insight...

Chris you missed my point. ET31 wheels clear if your beam is straight and you don't have big tyres so using those wheels would give you a better chance of having wide wheels without having to do a stupid amount of arch work.

All well and good being able to get/make 10" wide wheels but not everyone wants stick on arches or altered bodywork.

Erm, barely. My speedlines were 7J and ET35 and they would not fit without spacers on a refurbished beam, end of story. Throw in the fact not many people here have straight beams and you're asking for trouble.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Tends to depend on tyres mate and also the pug rims are 6.5" in the main anyway not 7 so the difference in clearence between 6.5 ET31 and 7 ET35 is about 10mm to the edge of the rim.
Thanks given by:
A cyclone is a 6.5J wheel, and i'm not talking about tyres. If a cyclone was near enough 20mm closer to the inner arch it'd be too close for comfort, as said most 306 beams these days seem to have at least a tiny bit of camber. A 307 steel would fit, ok, but what happens when the beam starts to develop more play? Don't forget the inner arch isn't flat either. I'd really rather play it safe and not run a matter of mm clearance on the off chance you hit a bump and lock a wheel against the inner arch.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  banded steels Ash___ 3 1,386 14-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Ash___