Best steels to get banded?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best steels to get banded?
Suddenly decided that after payday id like to get some steels banded - what's the best set to get done? Will they need spacers? Arch rolling etc etc? Any advice/help/pictures appreciated Smile
Thanks given by:
15 or 16's?
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Tbh have no idea :/ got 16inch alloys atm and I like how it sits but I don't want to be doing loads of modifications to fit banded 16s? I don't want 15s to look too small on the back (sits a bit higher than the front) but then I could have slightly stretched 50 profiles?

If 16s will fit nice, then probably 16s haha
Thanks given by:
All this "will I need spacers" lark depends on exactly what width band you get put in and where in the wheel.

Personally if I were going to band a set I'd get a set of 308 16" steels as they are ET32 (rather than the standard 306 ET18) and the back edge shouldnt touch anything so Id guess you'd be able to drop a 25-30mm band into the outer lip to make them look really wide and a 28mm band would bring them back out to ET18 like standard. I think they are 7" wide so this would take them out to just over 8"
Thanks given by:
(13-09-2013, 06:53 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: All this "will I need spacers" lark depends on exactly what width band you get put in and where in the wheel.

Personally if I were going to band a set I'd get a set of 308 16" steels as they are ET32 (rather than the standard 306 ET18) and the back edge shouldnt touch anything so Id guess you'd be able to drop a 25-30mm band into the outer lip to make them look really wide and a 28mm band would bring them back out to ET18 like standard. I think they are 7" wide so this would take them out to just over 8"

feck me chris you know your stuff.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(13-09-2013, 06:56 PM)kingy Wrote:
(13-09-2013, 06:53 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: All this "will I need spacers" lark depends on exactly what width band you get put in and where in the wheel.

LOL cheers mate, obviously I'm in no way considering this.
Thanks given by:
But of corse not. Lol.
Thanks given by:
Just stick with a standard 6" wide Berlingo steel at et18 and add 2 or 2.5"

Cheap to get hold of and look mint.
[Image: 704e7db1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Them berlingos are 15s though aren't they?
Thanks given by:
(16-09-2013, 06:10 AM)W1ll Wrote: Them berlingos are 15s though aren't they?

New ones are 16"
Thanks given by:
I'll have to see if there are any in the scrappers or something! Unless anyone knows of a cheap set of 16s?
Thanks given by:
eBay?
Thanks given by:
Can't find any on the bay Sad
Thanks given by:
(13-09-2013, 11:44 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(13-09-2013, 06:56 PM)kingy Wrote:

LOL cheers mate, obviously I'm in no way considering this.

Not thinking this through Chris. Yes the offset of the wheel will be similar to standard ET18 but the inset of the wheel will be the same as the ET32 standard wheel as the band is usually on the outside edge. This means the distance to the inner arch does not change and in effect you'll be fitting an ET32 steel wheel to the car in terms of inner arch gap.

See here, this is with the standard wheel to give an idea what moves and what doesn't. I've shown the standard centreline and offset in relation to it, yes the diagram shows a negative offset wheel but it makes drawing it easier.

Now the following picture shows what happens when a wheel is banded. For demonstration purposes i'm showing it as if the wheel was banded still attached to the hub.

The bold black outline shows the part of the wheel that does not change. By banding the outside edge of the wheel, the wheel gets wider and the offset lower, but the distance to the inner arch is exactly the same as before. You could fit a 10" band to a wheel, but the inner arch clearance will not change, regardless of where on the outside of the wheel you band it.

The only ways the inner arch clearance would change are if:

a. The barrel is banded on the inside of the wheel (which would give you a higher offset and less inner arch clearance)

or

b. The barrel is cut down on the inside of the wheel and re-welded (which i've heard of noone doing, you'd have to shorten the inner part of the barrel and add material to the outer barrel)

A 7" wide ET32 wheel would be f*cking close to the inner arch, it's pretty much Ford offset and they're chuffing close to rubbing on stuff. If only someone had those steels that could give a valid insight...

OWAIT i've got those steels and I run spacers despite them being 10" wide. There you go then. Problem solved.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yes but running Peugeot wheels with et18 will give me the correct offset and then banding 1inch will give me the width? No changes made to inner arch clearance only outer arch clearance
Thanks given by:
Also anyone know any places around south east that have a good reputation for banding?
Thanks given by:
(17-09-2013, 03:11 PM)W1ll Wrote: Yes but running Peugeot wheels with et18 will give me the correct offset and then banding 1inch will give me the width? No changes made to inner arch clearance only outer arch clearance

I know, it was in response to DumDum suggesting ET30-something wheels.

Send them to a company called Banded Steels. I've seen work from Alonze before and it's.. questionable at best.
Thanks given by:
^^ this. banded steels are tryed and tested. only place i would use.
Thanks given by:
Id be interested in this too, so if we were to band 6.5j et 18 steels to 8j what would be the final et ?
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(18-09-2013, 06:38 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(17-09-2013, 03:11 PM)W1ll Wrote: Yes but running Peugeot wheels with et18 will give me the correct offset and then banding 1inch will give me the width? No changes made to inner arch clearance only outer arch clearance

I know, it was in response to DumDum suggesting ET30-something wheels.

Send them to a company called Banded Steels. I've seen work from Alonze before and it's.. questionable at best.

Ok nice one Smile cheers Ill get in contact with them!
Thanks given by:
(18-09-2013, 07:01 PM)rd070707 Wrote: Id be interested in this too, so if we were to band 6.5j et 18 steels to 8j what would be the final et ?

Would be pretty much bang on ET0 mate. Convert the J difference to mm, halve it, and subtract from the original ET (you're making the ET more negative by banding the outside)

So 1.5J difference is approx 37mm, centreline of wheel moves half that distance, so 18.5mm.

Will vary by a couple of mm each way though as the banding process may be out by a couple of mm.
Thanks given by:
banded steels are a one stop shop. courier, banding and painting. they will fit tyres aswell.
Thanks given by:
(18-09-2013, 07:09 PM)kingy Wrote: banded steels are a one stop shop. courier, banding and painting. they will fit tyres aswell.

Did you have any wobble of the outer lip with their steels?

Mine are from Alonze and I can think of another two sets i've seen first hand, the outer lip wobbles but the wheel spins straight as if they've been welded on the squint.

They gave some pish about how they use a jig and the wheel must have been like that to start with. Yeah, all three sets must have been squint out the factory..
Thanks given by:
(18-09-2013, 07:12 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(18-09-2013, 07:09 PM)kingy Wrote: banded steels are a one stop shop. courier, banding and painting. they will fit tyres aswell.

Did you have any wobble of the outer lip with their steels?

Mine are from Alonze and I can think of another two sets i've seen first hand, the outer lip wobbles but the wheel spins straight as if they've been welded on the squint.

They gave some pish about how they use a jig and the wheel must have been like that to start with. Yeah, all three sets must have been squint out the factory..

errrrm no.

because i dont have bandeds.

just read the reveiws.
Thanks given by:
Interesting thread, ive been loving the wide steels myself recently...

Pellow, what set was that province next to your car at FCS running do you think? (what steels / bands used etc)

This one:

[Image: IMG_5459_zps3dc84bcb.jpg]
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
They are 16" Berlingo ones and iirc they are 8.5"
Thanks given by:
I like them ones a lot..
Thanks given by:
They might even be 9s on the rear with the way the rear of the arch is flared, I had to do the same with my 9" brocks on both my estate and 3dr.
Thanks given by:
<3 the look of banded steels, pretty sure they'd look epic on the zx, now if only I could get my c5 steelies banded ...
Thanks given by:
What size tyres do people run on 8.5J 16's ? stretched 195's?
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  banded steels Ash___ 3 1,389 14-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Ash___