hdi revs dip when cold

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hdi revs dip when cold
Hi guys just noticed last few weeks when I first start my hdi from cold the revs want to dip slightly (like 700 rpm) , it has never actually stalled yet but for the first few minutes when I drive it when I dip the clutch at a road end it does the same and the revs drop to like 700.

Is this first signs of lift pump going?
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Is it when you dip the clutch or is it when you come to a stop on the brakes...?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Its when I dip the clutch mate, and when I first start her it will dip then move up and down a bit until it settles
Thanks given by:
Fairy snuff, just thinking it was as you roll up to junctions on the brakes it could be something to do with the vacuum feed. Don't know then, perhaps the release bearing is getting a bit sticky...? Just a guess, dont quote me on that. lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah well I have a kinda tinkering noise from behind the front left wheel when cold too. I thought it might be fuel related
Thanks given by:
I'd get that looked at then mate, release bearings can make a hell of a mess when they go.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
My hdi did this BUT only when the weather was cold i.e 6 degrees or less
Would never do it in the warmer climates and ran perfectly after a short run to give the engine some warmth

It did this for over 2 years for me and still does it through winter for my mate who now owns the car,
Mine did actualy stall though but in the 2 years i had the car it only stalled about 5-6 times

Never did find out what was wrong
Thanks given by:
Mine always does this, pretty annoying but thats all it is so far. Wouldnt mind tracking down what it is.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yup mine does this to, i was advised a hole in a vac line but i never found one after a lot of checking.

I think its just being french.
Thanks given by:
Justvto bump this, turns out poodle was right it is on braking that it dips as well as a momentary dip when the car is first started.

Now I believe something is also up with my tps as a while ago once or twice the revs hung for a few minutes.

Any idea where to start checking? As it's doing my head in
Thanks given by:
The tps is attached to the airbox.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah I think I'm going to have to try clean it using the guide for starters. I have maf unplugged atm as it was down on power and unplugging it sorted it.
Thanks given by:
There is a guide on re greasing the tps if its sticking. Easy to do so might be a good start.

Also try just cleaning the terminals, can get a can of spray from maplin to do this, just to make sure they are connecting properly.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2013, 01:22 PM)rd070707 Wrote: Yeah I think I'm going to have to try clean it using the guide for starters. I have maf unplugged atm as it was down on power and unplugging it sorted it.

Wonder if it's the MAF that causes the issue tbh....it doesn't know exactly how much fuel to use when you brake as it obviously can't rely on the TPS at that point.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engine revs dropping when braking scfc_151 9 2,617 24-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Ruan
Question EML, high idle, revs taking time to drop??? highwayman306 13 2,903 07-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Last Post: highwayman306
  revs dropping. like misfire. kris_taylor1988 18 2,800 01-02-2015, 09:09 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005