Intake heat exhange/exhaust wrap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intake heat exhange/exhaust wrap
Would it be benefitical to wrap my intake pipe in exhaust wrap to help stop heat exhange with the manifold as both run round the back of the engine?

Just phoned zircotec as they off a coating which claims up to 30% reduction in heat but thats stupidly expensive to have done.

Ian
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yours is stage 2 isn't it? Might see a small benefit when you're giving it a prolonged thrashing, not sure it'd be worth it though, probably get a better result from doing the ex mani and turbo hotside.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yes and no, With a decent FMIC set up I can get my inlet colder than the ambient outside temperature so the gains might not be huge.
Thanks given by:
Read bad things about doing the hot side with it cracking the mani and causing fire if there are even the slightest of gaps as it causes hot spots so was thinking this might be the least risky for the benefit as i was thinking about doing both.

Well some google and forum hunting reveals alot of people think it wont work and will have an opposite effect and others that have measured a positive effect but the heat reflection tape seems a better option.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It won't have an opposite effect, that'd defy physics lol. But yeah, I reckon some cheap reflective tape would do almost as good a job.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Think about it like this IMO - get a piece of stainless pipe and shove a blowlamp underneath it, now push air down it at the same mass air rate as an engine consumes - I'll put money on the actual outlet temperature barely rising a single degree - that's because pipe isn't a very effective radiator, especially when you consider the quantity of air being shoved through it, the heat capacity of the air is so high and relatively insulated, you'd do well to raise it...

You're better off creating a very FREE flowing inlet to the turbocharger, that's where I've seen the VAST majority of gains, I don't care what people say (I know people will disagree...) the stock inlet pipe is a sack of shit! You will almost invariably see a gain in power from a well routed free flowing pipe that isn't sucking in hot engine bay air (note that's different to being affected by radiant transfer from the engine bay...)
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2013, 03:45 PM)Ruan Wrote: I don't care what people say (I know people will disagree...) the stock inlet pipe is a sack of shit!

This totally!!!!! Worst restriction in the entire HDi. The pipe diameter at one point goes so small I don't think i could even fit my tiny willy down there
Thanks given by:
With a FMIC, there really is no point. I can drive mine hard, then feel the inlet and it'll be cold to the touch. Totally agree with Ruan on this, sort the intake out and you'll see a noticeable improvement.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intake temp and Exhaust temp sensors? JTaylor2005 5 2,387 26-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005