exhaust manifold wall thickness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
exhaust manifold wall thickness
If I was to weld up an exhaust manifold in mild steel, what wall thickness tubing would be best? I'd be supporting it at both ends, so I'm only really concerned about heat absorption and prolonging the lifespan of it.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
from what ive seen it appears that people use standard thickness exhaust tubing.
Thanks given by:
If you're not taking the weight off a turbo, etc, 1.6mm will be fine.
If you want it to last a bit longer I suppose you could use 2mm.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
I was thinking about 3mm, is there any reason not to use that?

Thanks given by:
Should think itd start getting difficult to weld at that kind of thickness wouldnt it? Thicker it is the more energy itll carry to the turbo. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Nah 3mm is easy enough to weld. But I'm more concerned about the lifespan tbh. Don't want it cracking

Thanks given by:
3mm!

Christ, you looking to hang some serious weight off it!?!? 3.2mm is Scaffold pole you realise and I think we'd both agree Scaff is just a little over the top for an exhaust, also SERIOUSLY heavy in like 2.5"!!!

2-2.2mm max I'd say!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
See that's where I need help lol

I'm aware of how thick 3mm wall is, but I'm wanting this to last, hence my question. I'm also considering using thinner stuff further away from the head after the collector.

Thanks given by:
2mm tbh.

I wouldnt go any thinner if your welding it yourself, as can be tricky, any thicker and it gets heavy, but no harm for a home build....like if i was on a budget, and had scafold kicking about, then it would come out....just like it did when i welded ruans VNT adapter....lol.... agri spec ftw
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2013, 01:40 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Nah 3mm is easy enough to weld. But I'm more concerned about the lifespan tbh. Don't want it cracking

lol

The tube I've got for doing mine is 1.2mm Big Grin
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
3mm is good if your using a stick welder Big Grin
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thin Wall Challenge Connor 22 3,106 06-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Last Post: MrsMidnight