help! rpm sensor?! any ideas?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help! rpm sensor?! any ideas?
So 2.1 is sort of running.

I think its running like Ive forgotten to bolt everything up...inc head as i think its pressurizing...but anyway...

cant get rev counter to work.

got xud sensor in behind engine, down by speedo and also got hdi sensor in top of the box...

but neither do anything when plugged in.

I am using a xud ph1 engine loom on a ph3 petrol with ph3 1.9nad clocks though!!

but I need help...any suggestions welcome
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Gap between sensor and flywheel
Thanks given by:
that what I thought...but it should be ok.

is too close bad?

will the xud sensor work though...thats what Im wondering
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Im not sure what you're setup is but i tryed all sorts of things on my 205 and it turned out that they need be the correct gap or it either wont work or it will say its at like 4k at idle,

I pushed it untill it touched the fly then pulled it back a tiny bit, easy way to test it is get a 2nd car and extend wires from the grey plug on yours to a known working one on the 2nd car
Thanks given by:
I believe the phase 3 one goes via the ECU, rather than straight to the clocks, so I doubt that'll work.

Also the air gap will be crucial on a magnet sensor as above.
Thanks given by:
wonder what the other lads have done who converted phase3s to xuds.

Anyone know if

1) there is difference between a hdi flywheel and a xud one...I'm running a xud one...

2) what sensor a phase3 1.9 NAD uses?

3) how to get my rev counter to work! Huh
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
does the 1.6 petrol use the same type of sensor as the hdi...top of gearbox?

Im so confused...looking at too many diagrams and forum pages Doh
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Simples piggy...just paint over the rev counter and forget about it...will be doing this mod to my French shed soon lol
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Im thinking maybe I can switch the guts of a ph1 tacho to put in the ph3 casing.
then make my own little loom for the tacho.

any info anyone has on how the sensor/wiring/tacho works be handy...or a spare old ph1 clocks that I can break up!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
If your using a Xud flywheel then the sensor on top of the box will be useless as there is no pickup for it
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2013, 10:18 PM)Piggy Wrote: Im thinking maybe I can switch the guts of a ph1 tacho to put in the ph3 casing.

any info anyone has on how the sensor/wiring/tacho works be handy...or a spare old ph1 clocks that I can break up!

I might still have a set of ph1 DT clocks, I deffo have a set bought from Cj last week. When you've sorted your wiring piggy Wink
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2013, 10:33 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: If your using a Xud flywheel then the sensor on top of the box will be useless as there is no pickup for it

I cant think what the pickup/cut/slot for the hdi is?!

any idea?

as the xud fly has slots on the rear face but also on the outer edge just in from the starter teeth

(07-09-2013, 10:39 PM)devils_fuel Wrote:
(07-09-2013, 10:18 PM)Piggy Wrote: Im thinking maybe I can switch the guts of a ph1 tacho to put in the ph3 casing.

I might still have a set of ph1 DT clocks, I deffo have a set bought from Cj last week. When you've sorted your wiring piggy Wink

cool.
I got a set of 106 clocks I can have a go at butchering...

cant just go aftermarket as aftermarket tachs are usually just for petrols with a pickup on the coils
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The HDi misses two windows (square teeth) around the the outside of the fly iirc.
Thanks given by:
Im sure the xud flywheel has those.

I was up late last night...got two options...

butcher a set of ph1 clocks and my ph3 ones and fit the ph1 guts of the rev counter and somehow wire in the sensor.
fit an aftermarket rev counter in its place, but try and keep it oem looking

but diesel tachs arent easy to get hold of and you need to calibrate them so need a laser tool to get actually rpm
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Id just start testing things find where the problem is
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2013, 09:38 AM)Daniel306 Wrote: Id just start testing things find where the problem is

problem:

2.1 engine from a 1998 406
1.9xud loom and flywheel sensor and flywheel from a phase1 306
phase3 petrol loom with nad clocks!

apart from my huge head failure
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Get an old sensor/engine loom and cut the grey plugs off both of them. then wire them together with a long bit of wire between them making and extension.

Now if you plug this into your car's sensor and into the 2nd car's engine loom and start both of them, The 2nd car will display your Rpm - if it works your sensor is fine and the problem is the petrol dash loom
Thanks given by:
good idea.

need to fix the HUGE pressurising issue first though
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: