Problem with Rev Counter and Lost of Power

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with Rev Counter and Lost of Power
Hi all,

I have a 306 1.4 8v LX (1998 Reg) which has a strange issue.

I could be driving along and all of a sudden the rev counter will stop working but then the car will also start to feel like there is a lack in power to the car when I put my foot down. Also sometimes when this happens and I put my foot down on the throttle and take my foot off and the rev's will stay high.

After parking up and then starting the car the next day the rev counter works and the car feels fine until it happens again which could be next day or a few days.

The clutch has started to slip but someone suggested to me that a slipping clutch would not stop your rev counter from working.

I have also changed the throttle cable, rev counter sensor, throttle postion sensor,idle control valve and crank sensor and removed the throttle body to clean with carb cleaner but again I still have the problem

Chris
Thanks given by:
When you lose power and lose the revs do the lights inside i.e dash and radio go out? if so I know it will sound daft but check for a corroded earth or broken on the gearbox, they love playing merry hell with everything especially if its 3/4 broken
Thanks given by:
Hi. Nope everything works still as normal

Chris

(06-09-2013, 10:09 PM)306Dan Wrote: When you lose power and lose the revs do the lights inside i.e dash and radio go out? if so I know it will sound daft but check for a corroded earth or broken on the gearbox, they love playing merry hell with everything especially if its 3/4 broken
Thanks given by:
Have you tryd reseting the ecu mate after changing all the sensors....?????
(msg sent from hell)

If i dont c ya threw week ill c ya threw window.
Thanks given by:
does sound like a short or earth problem in your engine loom, investigate the earth strap from the -neg terminal to the body, possibly that? otherwise check all the connections for corrosion / any loose and give them all a good clean
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
Hi

Cheers for the advice. I am going to reset the ECU and check earths this weekend. Rev counter has only stopped working once this week so far

Chris
Thanks given by:
It will be the vehicle speed sensor on the gearbox playing up.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Sounds daft but is your aux belt slipping? I had this exact problem on my 106...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by: