Old Parts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Parts
Just wondering what it is that people do with old parts, that are no good to sell and have little value?

Iv'e replace a few bits on mine the past few days and just wonder what to do with the excess parts.

I have a very sad boot lid in the hallway at work at the moment...
Thanks given by:
Store in our room till the mrs moans enough that i get rid of them lmao
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Chuck them in the bin mostly...

Something like a steel bootlid isn't even worth scrapping, might as well just take it to the dump.
Thanks given by:
I hoard it then weigh it in. Did a run in April an pocketed £60
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2013, 04:33 PM)Grant Wrote: I hoard it then weigh it in. Did a run in April an pocketed £60

Lol thats what i do lol
(msg sent from hell)

If i dont c ya threw week ill c ya threw window.
Thanks given by:
Anything non metal and non sell-able goes either in the bin or to the tip (dependent on size) then as with Grunt I hoard it then weigh it in. Probably got around 400kg of mixed scrap in the garage and garden at the moment but the price is on its arse so it can stay till the price goes up again.

Tom I know what your saying about certain stuff not being worth weighing in as a 10kg boot lid at about £100/tonne will get you a quid and that wont even cover your fuel but it all adds up. I even throw dead nuts bolts and washers in a bucket, anything metal at all and I seem to create a reasonable amount of copper and wiring. I don't go to the scrappers unless I'm gonna come away with at least £50
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2013, 04:47 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Anything non metal and non sell-able goes either in the bin or to the tip (dependent on size) then as with Grunt I hoard it then weigh it in. Probably got around 400kg of mixed scrap in the garage and garden at the moment but the price is on its arse so it can stay till the price goes up again.

Tom I know what your saying about certain stuff not being worth weighing in as a 10kg boot lid at about £100/tonne will get you a quid and that wont even cover your fuel but it all adds up. I even throw dead nuts bolts and washers in a bucket, anything metal at all and I seem to create a reasonable amount of copper and wiring. I don't go to the scrappers unless I'm gonna come away with at least £50

Two or three times I took a Golf full of light iron to the tip, took ages to load/unload, scratched the boot panels, and got less than a tenner for the whole car full. Cost about a fiver in fuel to get there. Really wasn't worth the effort lol!

[Image: car001.jpg]

Then managed to smash a tail light loading this lot meaning I didn't gain anything from that tenner lol.

[Image: 05122011016.jpg]

The only things I bother with now are ally (£700 tonne clean), motors (£350 tonne) and copper wire. But even that doesn't come to much. All the ally from the HDi, the entire loom and motors (starter, alternator and AC pump) came to just £18!

Scrap really isn't worth the effort in my experience. I have a couple of HDi heads here and a gearbox if anyone wants to take and scrap them, not worth my fuel and effort tbh.
Thanks given by:
Id have them if i was closer dude. About 20kg a head and 20kg a box so 60kg of ally. Gotta say I hadn't realised the price had got that bad for scrap. £1000/tonne for ally and £550/tonne for motor last time I decided it was worth my while.

Also I regularly pass a few scrap yards so it costs me nothing to drop it in, I guess Im probably a bit faster at loading and unloading the car too.
Thanks given by:
yup. collect, and wait for scrap to be a good value then pop down the weigh bridge!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Its £1000 ton on Alloy up here & £120 per ton light iron.
Motors I don't know I leave them on the cars.
Chris.
Thanks given by:
I had a £700 weigh in last week when I moved out of the unit didn't realise I had that much shite!
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Nuts bolts etc always useful as Dum Dum says pop them in a bucket handy for spares but a full bucket weighs allot when full and is a nice weigh in. gearboxes can always strip the ally casing. Just depends how often you deal In cars/parts you soon know what's not and what is worth anything and just scrap it when you weigh the shell
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
I need a bigger shed! I'm just trying to find a way to avoid hoarding, something I've done all my life and takes a lot of space up in the house.
Thanks given by:
just take it all down your local dump/recycling center then

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(04-09-2013, 07:13 AM)Toast Wrote: I need a bigger shed! I'm just trying to find a way to avoid hoarding, something I've done all my life and takes a lot of space up in the house.

this^^^ . .guilty as fcuk i am . .lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Tom, either you're scrapping at the wrong time or your local merchants are taking the piss, thats terrible money! I made nearly £150 in scrap metal just from the cabby, that was panels, chassis and alloys, I even kept stuff like the starter and alternator.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The local yard is the only yard so they don't have any competition, meaning they can give as little as they like. That's the same price I got in April this year, and December last year, it doesnt seem to change! Best thing I scrapped was a genuine cat from the golf, got 40 for that.

I can't scrap the chassis myself so that gets collected free - I'm sure there's more value in it than it costs them to come and collect but I don't really have a choice lol.
Thanks given by:
My mates deals in breaking/scrapping cars.
So he spends day with a car chucking every different metal in different places so he gets his money worth. Including nuts and bolts.
I just give what I got to him he gives me a good price. I gave him the old dturbo. Baring in mind I took bonnet boot and alloys. I still got £150 for it. Smile
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ah thats a bugger. :/ Take what you can get then I guess, such is life.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(04-09-2013, 09:13 AM)Poodle Wrote: Ah thats a bugger. :/ Take what you can get then I guess, such is life.

Yup, it sucks but no choice as usual lol.
Thanks given by:
TBH a chassis isn't that heavy. The bloke who took it got £13 IIRC for the bare shell of my 6.
Thanks given by:
It wasn't bare though, still had doors, bootlid, bonnet.

And left a load of iron inside as well, struts, block, crank.... All the crap that I couldn't sell last time lol.
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2013, 10:23 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: TBH a chassis isn't that heavy. The bloke who took it got £13 IIRC for the bare shell of my 6.

I think he's selling you rubbish there mate.

I took an engine and lawnmower down as mixed metal and got £43 quid for it
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2013, 03:19 PM)Grant Wrote:
(04-09-2013, 10:23 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: TBH a chassis isn't that heavy. The bloke who took it got £13 IIRC for the bare shell of my 6.

I think he's selling you rubbish there mate.

I took an engine and lawnmower down as mixed metal and got £43 quid for it
GTFO, engine 150kg and lawn mower 50kg so your telling me your local yard is paying £215/tonne?
Thanks given by:
You/he got ripped off there Chris, you know how much i got for the cabby shell.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Batteries are also very good for weigh in at the moment! Round here they are anyway!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Price is on its arse atm though poodle, think its £100/tonne whereas when it was its highest i was getting 170/tonne
Thanks given by: