Is a new maf needed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a new maf needed?
Shocked 
Hdi 306 stage 2 pro Steve remap

So I've been have some issues latley with the car when I put my foot down I get alot of black smoke but if I slowly build up the power it dont seem to smoke so bad, I've recently done a service -all filters- oil-

Now I've been reading a few posts and seen people say unplug the maf so I tryed it and there was no smoke but it felt like I was running standard power again witch felt like the speed of a bus lol.

So has any one else had an issue like this ?
Any tips or ideas I can try? Cheers Ben
Thanks given by:
Have you checked your boost pipes for leaks? when you unplug the MAF, any engine management light?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Boost leak sounds likely
Thanks given by:
I've checked for leaks can't find any. even uses soapy water on all the joints to see if it bubbles. When I unplug the maf the engine management light dont come on
Thanks given by:
Have you still got the cat in place?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nope straight thru exhaust
Thanks given by:
Definitely sounds lika a boost issue. Danny's got a good point, iirc you're still running a fairly standard exhaust..?

Alternatively, could be a sticky wastegate.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I have a 1 box hdi system for sale! Smile
Thanks given by:
You won't be hitting anywhere near full boost sitting still. Take all the pipes off give them a blast of hairspray or a tiny bead of silicone and torque up the clamps properly.
Thanks given by:
Going to re-do all the piping with new stronger clamps hopefully this will work Smile
Thanks given by:
(27-08-2013, 02:12 PM)Ben hdi306 Wrote: Going to re-do all the piping with new stronger clamps hopefully this will work Smile

hi, ben... i've got same problem but don't know where to start....
did you manage to fix this??
Confused
Thanks given by:
I would suggest starting with the things already listed in this thread mate. Wink

Can you hear a boost leak?
Does the car run the same/better when you unplug the maf?
Can you feel it come on boost at ~2k rpm?

Welcome to the forum btw!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Sad 
(07-09-2013, 03:33 PM)Poodle Wrote: I would suggest starting with the things already listed in this thread mate. Wink

Can you hear a boost leak?
Does the car run the same/better when you unplug the maf?
Can you feel it come on boost at ~2k rpm?

Welcome to the forum btw!

Thanks for the reply.... Maf sensor as ben's when disconnected goes back to standard power and no management lights!... Checked for leaks... None apparent ..egr been disconnected, plugged and mapped out of the system by pro Steve.. Replacement cone filter on, decat ... Straight thru just back box system! Seems semi unburnt fuel so would this mean my hdi needs more air? Is the maf sensor reading wrong??

Just want to say also ..... I know I'm a forum virgin as such!!hi to all
An always use good lube and please be gentle with me!Phew
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2013, 04:38 PM)woopyawass Wrote: Just want to say also ..... I know I'm a forum virgin as such!!hi to all
An always use good lube and please be gentle with me!Phew

lmao

Sounds like you'll fit in just fine!

Ok, so probably not the maf then. Where's the cone filter, does it have a good cold air feed? Might be worth trying the original filter box, they're pretty capable, at least they are compared to most of the cone filters you can buy for less than a ton lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Right..... No leaks no different with standard air box..... Even tried can of turbo cleaner and popped some millers thru it and have serviced it again!
Ahhhhgggggg!!!
Thanks given by:
Not sure then tbh, guess you could try the maf earth mod just to be sure it's not interference, but i'm running out of ideas.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I've checked all joints no leaks think it could be a maf as I was told when remapped it was reading quite hight.
Thanks given by: