Changing alternator on 1.9td

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing alternator on 1.9td
Think I'm goin to attempt it 2day how easy or hard is it to do any tips and any do's or don't s cus it looks awkward it's got power steering and hasn't got a/c if that makes a difference cheers
Thanks given by:
jack up o/s and secure.

remove splash guard

take tension off belt.

remove belt

take positive terminal of battery off.

undo the 8/10mm and 13mm nuts on the alternator terminals and remove wiring

undo the two bolts, sometimes three, on the alternator.

remove alternator.

I have a few good alternators for cheap if you need a nee one
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Cheers for ya help mines realy noisy so changing it cus sounds like a nail when I'm driving around I brought a second hand alternator of eBay for £10 will see if its any good abit l8r if its a crap 1 will let ya know and prob have 1 off ya cheers
Thanks given by:
Piggy has it pretty spot on there. Also be careful of belt tension when refitting. I was told that when you push it on an unsupported part it should move roughly 5mm if it's right.
Thanks given by:
on the longest part of the belt when tensioned, you should be able to twist the belt about 90degrees with your fingers
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Do u take tension off the belt by loosening the Allen key bolt that you can see underneath the car is that the tensioner
Thanks given by:
yes.

but first undo the two allen head bolts holding the tensioner secure Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ok cheers thanks for ya help
Thanks given by:
one is 1/3 way up side of tensioner.
the other in centre of tensioner pulley, sometimes has a plastic cover over it
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Changed alternator wasn't to much hastle to be fare but then realised my problem wasn't the alternator but the tensioner so changed that and loads quieter and while I had the car on axle stands I gave it a little more boost
Thanks given by:
i actually found it easier to undo the 2 16mm bolts and removing the oil filter and sliding it out that way, took 15mins
Thanks given by: