Yet another problem - popped injector?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another problem - popped injector?
Well driving to work this morning doing 70 on the dual carriageway, I hear a rattling coming from underneath the bonnet. Looked down and the engine light is on.

From that moment on it was running like a bag of hammers, especially on the overrun (load clacking noise).

The accelerator pedal also became very sensitive and was revving its head off at the lightest touch when stationary.

Knackered injector?
Thanks given by:
Sounds like oil making its way into the inlet, could be a dead turbo.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(21-08-2013, 01:20 PM)Poodle Wrote: Sounds like oil making its way into the inlet, could be a dead turbo.

The reason I thought injector is that the fault is intermittent, it ran fine for a while this afternoon but just flared up again. It will probably be running ok when I drive home later.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like you bought a lemon tbh!
Thanks given by:
(21-08-2013, 04:31 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Sounds like you bought a lemon tbh!

Thanks lol
Thanks given by:
i like lemons ignor him
Thanks given by:
The clack is pre-ignition, the injectors won't be firing at all at anything over 1500rpm in higher gears on the overrun, so what's getting into the cylinders to cause the knocking..? Do you get any smoke when it's happening?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(21-08-2013, 07:05 PM)Poodle Wrote: The clack is pre-ignition, the injectors won't be firing at all at anything over 1500rpm in higher gears, so what's getting into the cylinders to cause the knocking..? Do you get any smoke when it's happening?

So the injectors don't fire at all over 1500rpm in the higher gears? I didn't know that.

Not noticed any smoke but that doesn't mean there isn't any. Hopefully the problem will occur tomorrow and I can check.
Thanks given by:
(21-08-2013, 08:29 PM)PugLover1984 Wrote:
(21-08-2013, 07:05 PM)Poodle Wrote: The clack is pre-ignition, the injectors won't be firing at all at anything over 1500rpm in higher gears, so what's getting into the cylinders to cause the knocking..? Do you get any smoke when it's happening?

So the injectors don't fire at all over 1500rpm in the higher gears? I didn't know that.

Not noticed any smoke but that doesn't mean there isn't any. Hopefully the problem will occur tomorrow and I can check.

Injectors don't fire over 1500rpm on the over-run he means. Smile So when you drop a gear and coast down there shouldn't be any fuel being injected....
Thanks given by:
Right I see, so I can virtually rule out an injector fault?

I had a check under the bonnet and there is an oil leak on the inlet manifold gasket. Could this he related?
Thanks given by:
Yeah sorry, did a bad job of explaining that lol.

Inlet mani gasket always leaks, seen it on almost every hdi, won't be related. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Well it has happened again.

Checked and there doesn't appear to be any smoke. I also think that the overrun noise doesn't happen when you are going fast, only when going slowly.
Thanks given by:
I remember a BMW 530d a mate had that did the same...in the end it was the aftermarket "chip" thtahad dislodfged some wiring giving the ecu false readings on the pump pressures, I think on the rail.

Not saying you got a chip, but the heavy diesel knock, like a spanner in the bell housing, is what he had. So maybe fuel rail sensor failure, pressure too high?

Have you had the ecu faults read??
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
No I haven't had the codes read yet. I know a lad that can do it for free but he's not available at the minute.

It's strange. When I pulled up, I switched it off and restarted it. Still sounded rough.

Turned it off again, started it and it ran fine!
Thanks given by:
code readers can be had for £15 on ebay that would at least read the code...then post it up or google it and it will point you in right direction
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
No smoke at all? Interesting,... As Piggy says, theres not much more we can tell you without more info, codes would certainly be a good place to start.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I shall try to get the codes read.

Interestingly, the fault occurred in the exact same place geographically as the previous day. Maybe it's to do with loading the engine when it's cold, as it happened after accelerating hard up a hilly slip road. Just a thought.
Thanks given by:
Is there any muck around the base of the injectors?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Well there seems to be a fair bit on gunk around 1 and 3. Also injector 1 looks wet all over the outside.
Thanks given by:
Could be escaping combustion gasses then, pull the injectors out, get the seats recut and replace the washers.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Well, I finally had it plugged in.

Tons of errors regarding fuel rail pressure but one relating to the coolant temperature sensor.

Could a faulty temperature sensor cause these issues? The car is sometimes hard to start, and then when it does start it idles at a very low engine speed. I also frequently get the "STOP" light appearing while the engine is warming up. The

The car runs fine when at full operating temperature.
Thanks given by:
Not really, the coolant level sensor can bring the stop light on if the coolant is running low though. How are your levels?

I'm still of the opinion the rough running is more likely to be caused by the leaking combustion waste or knackered injectors - fuel pressure issues would just stop it running altogether.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Just a note, just beacuse the map dosnt injector fuel over 1500rpm on the overrun (basing that on whats said in this convo, I dont know pesonally), dosnt mean you can rule out an injector fault, if a needle is sticking open / slightly cracked, then it will piss fuel in constantly, weather the ecu wants it to or not...which would cause alot of issues / knocking.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2013, 07:57 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Just a note, just beacuse the map dosnt injector fuel over 1500rpm on the overrun (basing that on whats said in this convo, I dont know pesonally), dosnt mean you can rule out an injector fault, if a needle is sticking open / slightly cracked, then it will piss fuel in constantly, weather the ecu wants it to or not...which would cause alot of issues / knocking.

Coolant levels are fine, it was only changed a few weeks ago.

I can't afford to get the injectors even looked at presently, I suppose it'll have to wait!
Thanks given by:
(02-01-1970, 02:18 PM)PugLover1984 Wrote: Tons of errors regarding fuel rail pressure but one relating to the coolant temperature sensor.

Could a faulty temperature sensor cause these issues?

(11-09-2013, 07:30 AM)Poodle Wrote: Not really, the coolant level sensor can bring the stop light on if the coolant is running low though. How are your levels?

Skim reading fail.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Me or him?

Fair point Darren, never known a cr set to go like that though...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question HDI popped boost hoses . .talk to me. Mattcheese31 16 3,654 03-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  Oil cooler hose popped off /cry pugbug 12 2,861 10-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Poodle