Blown turbo??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blown turbo??
I bought a hdi a few weeks ago now with a cutting out issue so I have gave the car a service and cleaned the fpr and took ot out for a test drive and then all of a sudden I heard a bang ( like a boost hose blowing off) so I stopped had a quick look at the car and nothing obvious but now the car still boosts fine but there as a loud wirring noise and the more a rev it the louder it gets have I blown the turbo or is it something simple??
Can someone point me in the right direction thanks
Thanks given by:
It does sound like a blown boost hose.. although there's only one small piece of hose that can split on a stock HDi and it comes directly off the turbo, might be a bit of a pain to access
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Crank pulley?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
No its definitely not a crank pulley I hope it is just a boost hose but what does the little pipe do? Because it still boosts fine tho
Thanks given by:
holds boost? It'll still probably boost fine depending on how big the hole is.. the turbo just works harder to supply the extra pressure
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a hose to me.
From what I've heard, if you blew the turbo you'd bloody know about it! lol
[Image: MIRKxNP.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just gone for a drive and it holds boost fine. Where is the little pipe is it the one that comes off of the actuator?
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, sounds a lot like a collapsed pulley from the description. This is the problem with remote diagnosis, your whir is my whistle, if you know what I mean. Giggidy. Wink

The only boost hose that you can pop is accessible from the drivers wheel-arch, have a look in there with the engine running and spray some watered down washing-up liquid all over it, should be easy enough to tell if its leaking.

Not off the actuator, goes from the turbo outlet to the plastic boost pipe. There's only the one silicone pipe down there, nothing to get confused over. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yea I know what you mean poodle lol. I have got a video of the issue hopefully the sound will be clear enough for you to hear

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/duotwk2bqt1dgq3/m8qpcmar-5
Thanks given by:
Now that sounds exactly like a boost leak hahahah!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thats alrite then lol. Thought it was but its tight down the back there and cant really see alot lol. I think ill have to take the top engine mount off and drop the engine forward a bit
Thanks given by:
You won't get at it from the top, go in from the drivers wheel arch as i said.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ahh ok mate cheers. Im new to hdi's use to petrols or the xud lol. Theres alot more room on my 205
Thanks given by:
Yeah man, my 205 is a dream to work on by comparison.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yea definitely even with a td04 down the back lol.
Thanks given by:
Right I have had a look for a boost leak and I have taken the elbow off at the inket manifold. The gasket just fell apart can I use some instant gasket for now or should I really get a proper gasket? The mrs needs the car and as its bank holiday weekend no one is open till Tuesday Angry

Also where is the little pipe that someone said that can split??
Thanks given by:
Use a cereal box, honestly it'll be fine. I told you how to get to the pipe up there. ^^^
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  anyone blown head gasket? rd070707 19 5,925 21-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Ruan
  Blown turbo or something else? pugbug 3 1,672 05-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Poodle