coolant light on UPDATE

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
coolant light on UPDATE
Right guys need a bit of advice, got my cambelt changed today, all seemed well got the car home parked up for a while and when I started her again the coolant light was on. When I drove up the road it cleared, then back on, off etc etc.

I've checked and the coolant is still at the max level. Has the mechanic maybe knocked a sensor?

ideas?
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It'll be the level sender on the header tank, brown plug IIRC, make sure its plugged in properly, if still no joy get a replacement of a scrapper.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
or a poor earth, thats what is was for me
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Have you interpreted the level correctly in the tank? The L shaped level reader can confuse people. You shouldn't be able to see it as such.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Well drove it this morning, light was on constant except for when you went round some corners etc so it is something to do with the actual level I think. Landed it round with the mechanic who wasn't there but when the engine was running it looked a bit low in the header tank so the other mechanic chucked some more water in to top it up.

The light is off now but I won't be getting to drive it much as I am away a few days to see what happens.
Thanks given by:
The light was on and you didn't think to top it up? Confused

Assuming the water pump was done with the cambelt you will have lost some coolant during that.

As for the level, I just fill it up and let any excess blow out the breather by the rad cap....
Thanks given by:
My sentiments tom, but he said he checked it. I would think he just misinterpreted the level indicator.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
or perhaps it dropped after driving it...sounds like mechanic checked it without running it up to temp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yes tom the light was on and I checked it, first time I checked it it seemed fine but yes it was below the level indicator.

Waterpump was changed and new coolant put In. I'm just guessing maybe it wasn't bled right?
Thanks given by:
sounds like it.

are the heaters working ok?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(17-08-2013, 10:06 AM)rd070707 Wrote: Yes tom the light was on and I checked it, first time I checked it it seemed fine but yes it was below the level indicator.

Waterpump was changed and new coolant put In. I'm just guessing maybe it wasn't bled right?

I didn't say check I said top up.... Big Grin The moonstone had a leaky rad so I just kept chucking water in when the light came on, didn't bother with the level indicator on the tank lol. Excess blows out anyway.

And yeah it sounds as though it wasn't bled properly as you say.
Thanks given by:
I will check the heaters. Will just land it back with him and get him to bleed it. if that fails it must be the sensor
Thanks given by:
Okay guys just to update this problem, I've drove the car over a long journey now, got up to temp fine, sat at 79 as normal, all fine. Until I realised that it was throwing coolant out the header tank. So I've took the cap off and realised the rubber seal is just kinda sitting there. Now I can't remember where its meant to be, is it on the cap or is it meant to be on the header tank?

[Image: 168smqw.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The seal should be on the cap
Thanks given by:
Cheers tom, how does it fit on?
Thanks given by:
Err, no idea, never seen one come off lol.

It may have been glued on at the factory, but that's only a guess.
Thanks given by:
Probably best just to get another cap tbh. Then bleed the system shud be ok
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Cheers mate, I will get the mechanic to bleed it as I don't trust myself with that kind of thing lol
Thanks given by:
Its really not hard to bleed. Infact, park uphill so the header tank is higher than the heater matrix hoses and it'll basically bleed itself!
Thanks given by:
So guys looks like I need a new cap, the mechanic made sure it was bled right but the seal is off the cap and all swolen.

Anybody have a cap for sale?
Thanks given by:
I have a cap for sale. Wink
Thanks given by:
Pm me a price tom as long as its in good nick
Thanks given by:
Right just to update this as its even more odd now...so I got the cap off tom and replaced it and got the mechanic to top up the coolant, light goes off and I drive it for a week all is well. Temp is normal, heaters work everything. But when I started to take it on a few longer drives, it started blowing coolant out the header again. at first I thought oh its just because he overcooked it and it will settle at a level. But when I took the cap off this morning to investigate, it has blown the seal on this cap too! and it seemed in perfect condition a week ago...

really baffled now but obviously still of the opinion that it is the mechanics problem as he seems to have created it
Thanks given by:
If you run it with the cap off does it blow bubbles and with it running with the cap on are the water hoses really tight to squeeze?
Thanks given by:
No mate, but I will have to check the pressure in the top pipe after a run to be sure. But none of these symptoms before the cambelt change
Thanks given by:
2 ltr coke bottle with the bottom cut off can be used to make a header tank.
Hope this is of some use to you. Blush
Thanks given by:
Sounds like theres a blockage or air pocket somewhere, have you tried rebleeding the system properly?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
How many bleed points are there? maybe he just isn't doing it right?

actually a quick how to would be handy as I don't have a clue tbh.

Would trapped air not have caused it to overheat though?
Thanks given by:
The rubber seal literally slips on the cap around the centre, there are some bits of plastic it clips to... Its pretty obvious where it sits.

If its spewing water however and overheating, it does sound like possible head gasket failure...

There are three bleed points, one on top of the radiator, one on the top of the Thermostat housing and one on the heater matrix hoses.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Dude, there is no overheating. And I know where the seal goes its just shot and swollen inside the past week, same thing happened to the other one
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coolant light flashes every so often aaron_one 5 1,205 14-10-2015, 09:13 AM
Last Post: pug306driver
  Water coolant light LewisG 9 1,706 12-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Poodle