Probably being a whinge but...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Probably being a whinge but...
...I've had my 306 HDi for only 4 months and feel I've had tons of issues.

These have included:
Rear wiper wiring
Central Locking Motor
Air bag light on
ABS Ring
Fuel Pressure Issues
Recurring issue with STOP light
Frequently won't start first time
Rumbling noise when clutch depressed

Is it just me or is this quite a lot of issues to basically occur at the same time? It's a 1 owner car with 120k. Is this normal for a 306??
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 04:38 PM)PugLover1984 Wrote: Is this normal for a 306??

very Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Oh well...
Thanks given by:
its french what did you expect Tongue
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 04:52 PM)adamm306 Wrote: its french what did you expect Tongue

This is my 3rd 306, this is the best looked after but also the worst!
Thanks given by:
I've come to learn that all cars have problems....but 306s do seem to have them more frequently lol. lol
Thanks given by:
Im on my 12th 306 so i kinda understand

These have included:
Rear wiper wiring - Never had an issue
Central Locking Motor - Never had an issue
Air bag light on - Standard on all 306s (except my current one, previous owner removed the bulb)
ABS Ring - these go on all cars, they are cheaper to fix on a 306 though.
Fuel Pressure Issues - I have this issue currently, think its the lift pump.
Recurring issue with STOP light - Again think previous owner removed the bulb
Frequently won't start first time - what engine is it, any other symptoms?
Rumbling noise when clutch depressed - 120k is about time for a clutch release bearing to go but on the up side a new hyundai will kill a clutch in 10k so i wouldnt worry about 120k on a pug.
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 04:54 PM)PugLover1984 Wrote:

I know that feeling! This is my 4th. Imo my last hdi was the best without any problems till clutch went.
Yet this one is the better one with much less miles more looked after. But had squeeks and knocks.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 05:15 PM)kentiiboii Wrote:
(16-08-2013, 04:54 PM)PugLover1984 Wrote:

I know that feeling! This is my 4th. Imo my last hdi was the best without any problems till clutch went.
Yet this one is the better one with much less miles more looked after. But had squeeks and knocks.

I've been offered a really nice 205 and at this precise moment I'm bloody tempted lol.
Thanks given by:
A 205??

If you think a HDi is bad getting something ~20 years old will likely have more problems lol.
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 08:59 PM)Toms306 Wrote: A 205??

If you think a HDi is bad getting something ~20 years old will likely have more problems lol.

Simple, nowt much to go wrong with a 205.

Except the rear beam lol
Thanks given by:
Hmm, hope you like rust then. lol

Tbh, theres loads to go wrong still - beam, clutch, headgasket, brakes (especially drums), the small amount of electrics it has for lights/wipers etc, bushes and ball joints......... Just because theres no modern shit to break, doesn't mean theres nothing to break lol.
Thanks given by:
Just sounds like you bought a shitter tbh. I did the same thing, bought a 160k one with no recent history and she was great, then bought low-miler with full pug service history and had nothing but problems. It happens. lol

EDIT: And as a recent buyer of a tidy 205 i'll tell you now it's a different league to look after, and not in a good way.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 09:18 PM)Poodle Wrote: Just sounds like you bought a shitter tbh. I did the same thing, bought a 160k one with no recent history and she was great, then bought low-miler with full pug service history and had nothing but problems. It happens. lol

EDIT: And as a recent buyer of a tidy 205 i'll tell you now it's a different league to look after, and not in a good way.

I had a 205 as my first car and I never had a moment's bother with it. I think the moral is you face the luck of the draw with ANY car, not just a Pug.

The 205 shares most of it's mechanicals with the 306 doesn't it?
Thanks given by:
As puglover said you can get issues with any car. You could have 2 identical models with the same miles etc and one could never be a days bother and the other could be a right shitter! Before I converted I had loads of vauxhalls Confused,most of which were actually reliable then bought a 3 year old astra with 23k and it was the worst car I've ever owned!
Thanks given by:
Its when it doesnt have prblems you have to worrie! French cars keep you on your toes buddy Smile
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 11:48 PM)bigtone0777 Wrote: As puglover said you can get issues with any car. You could have 2 identical models with the same miles etc and one could never be a days bother and the other could be a right shitter! Before I converted I had loads of vauxhalls Confused,most of which were actually reliable then bought a 3 year old astra with 23k and it was the worst car I've ever owned!

Ill always rate vauxhall petrol engines. Ive had a few now. Not a single one let me down. No matter how much hammer they got. Keep thinking about going for a mk4 gsi or betone coupe.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 11:25 PM)PugLover1984 Wrote: I had a 205 as my first car and I never had a moment's bother with it. I think the moral is you face the luck of the draw with ANY car, not just a Pug.

Absolutely, ask Tom about the reality of Vags old rep. lol

Um, in what sense? Fairly sure the 306 is different on most counts, sure you're not thinking of the citroen zx?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(17-08-2013, 06:34 AM)Poodle Wrote:
(16-08-2013, 11:25 PM)PugLover1984 Wrote: I had a 205 as my first car and I never had a moment's bother with it. I think the moral is you face the luck of the draw with ANY car, not just a Pug.

Um, in what sense? Fairly sure the 306 is different on most counts, sure you're not thinking of the citroen zx?

Shares many suspension components and the engines in the "cooking" models are similar (though I know the fuelling system is different).

I know the Citroen ZX is virtually the same car.

(17-08-2013, 07:35 AM)PugLover1984 Wrote:

Shares many suspension components and the engines in the "cooking" models are similar (though I know the fuelling system is different).

I know the Citroen ZX is virtually the same car.

Haha I probably don't know what I'm on about. I know the rear suspension is a similar design.
Thanks given by:
all the early pugs/citroens had similar designed rear beams...
but the 306/ZX had many new generation engines and shared almost everything mechanical
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 11:25 PM)PugLover1984 Wrote:
(16-08-2013, 09:18 PM)Poodle Wrote: Just sounds like you bought a shitter tbh. I did the same thing, bought a 160k one with no recent history and she was great, then bought low-miler with full pug service history and had nothing but problems. It happens. lol

I had a 205 as my first car and I never had a moment's bother with it. I think the moral is you face the luck of the draw with ANY car, not just a Pug.

Judging by the DOB in your name, I'll guess that was a while ago! I had a 306 as a first car, and have seen the majority go downhill in under 4 years....

VAGs are fine....as long as you don't buy an 8 owner, longlife serviced Golf from a dodgy looking guy in the worse end of town and mod it on a tight budget. Confused

But seriously, I had two mk4s with the same engine - first one had a broken intercooler which isn't unusual for any IC with plastic end tanks. That was the ONLY issue with it in the 9 months I owned it. (9 months of a 306 and I'd changed enough parts to build another lol)

Then got a newer Mk4 with full service history on lower milage and had 3 problems with it with it in 6 months! Two of which were my fault for modding though (turbo and clutch) and the third was fatal for the car (cams and lifters). VAGs don't have all the 'niggles' that 306s do, but when they do break they make sure you know about it haha! Big Grin
Thanks given by: