Play in wheel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Play in wheel
So for now am i just removing the brake disk and seeing if there is still play in the hub without the disc?
Thanks given by:
That sounds a safe bet Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Correctamundo. While the wheel is off take a look at the points where the wishbone connects to the subframe for additional play.
Thanks given by:
Have a look at the ball joint when your moving the hub and see if it is tight in the hole in the hub or if there is any movement, as mentioned before the hole in the hub could have worn.
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks all will report back tomorrow is there any chance the actual hub is fooked?

edit: we will cross that bridge when we come to it. running before i can walk here Tongue
Thanks given by:
Theres a possibility that the hub could have ovaled where the balljoint meets it, but for it to create that amount of play, it would have to be fooking horrific. Highly unlikely IMO.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
If the balljoint moving around in the hub for some time before it was replaced it could have ovalled the hub, in which case it will need to be replaced. However that's not a terrible fix. It can be done in a day, and labour can be paid for in bacon and egg baguettes Wink
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 08:53 PM)Scott Wrote: If the balljoint moving around in the hub for some time before it was replaced it could have ovalled the hub, in which case it will need to be replaced. However that's not a terrible fix. It can be done in a day, and labour can be paid for in bacon and egg baguettes Wink

I wont work for any less than a egg, bacon AND Sausage baguette personally! But watching how much play was in that wheel, i highly doubt its the hub. Mine was chronically f*cked and it only messed about when pulling away and stopping hard.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
awesome my kind of labour Big Grin thanks for all your input tonight guys ill get some detailed pics and diagnosis tomorrow and report back Smile
Thanks given by:
What if it is the wrong size ball joint? ( just trying to think outside the box)
Maybe as it's a phase 1 it is supposed to have the 16mm ball joint but if a previous owner has fitted an 18mm hub in the past. And some one has fitted a 16mm ball joint.
Or would the 16mm ball joint just fall out of the 18mm hub when you jacked it up.
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 09:00 PM)titch Wrote: What if it is the wrong size ball joint? ( just trying to think outside the box)
Maybe as it's a phase 1 it is supposed to have the 16mm ball joint but if a previous owner has fitted an 18mm hub in the past. And some one has fitted a 16mm ball joint.
Or would the 16mm ball joint just fall out of the 18mm hub when you jacked it up.

good point.. would you notice it? or would it fall out like titch says
Thanks given by:
It would, yeah.

I'd be surprised to see a p-bush cause that kind of movement, don't suppose it's the track rod? (Not the track rod end, but the bit connecting the TRE to the steering rack.)
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
if it was the wrong size ball joint i think it'd just about hold in place with the retaining bolt but only just, you should be able to feel the knocking at 12 and 6 on the wheel though, but it cant hurt to get a torch under there and have a nosey
Thanks given by:
If it was the wrong size ball joint would have fallen out soon after moving or the moment he tried to turn.
Thanks given by:
Haven't looked at the vid yet coz on my phone but quarter to 3 movement normally indicates a track rod end or wear in the rack itself. Maybe try getting someone to wobble the steering wheel side to side slightly while you look at the hub with the wheel off and if there's any movement in the steering wheel before the hub starts to move it's definitely tre or rack I'd say. If the plays in the rack you might have missed it concentrating on the tre. How many miles has the car done?

Edit

Don't think it's this as you'd have noticed but after changing my hub recently the car developed a knock when accelerating while cornering. When I couldn't find anything wrong I checked all the bolts were done up tightly and got a bit more nip in the ball joint clamp bolt and bingo. Just mentioning as it's worth checking all the nuts and bolts on you ball joint and wishbone etc
Thanks given by:
Hi Adam, did you get this sorted? What was it?
Thanks given by:
No never got it sorted in the end I had a bit of a boo boo at a roundabout and ended up scrapping the car. I have a P2 now
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
Aww man that sucks!
Thanks given by:
yeah it does but live and learn and all that i suppose!
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Small play in rebuilt beam? daveylennon93 9 1,646 23-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Last Post: daveylennon93
  Wheel wobble/play mcglynn 11 2,217 04-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Last Post: mcglynn