Play in wheel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Play in wheel
Ok got quite alot of play in my wheel.

Balljoint has been replaced (which was what i thought it was originally) at M.O.T

then it was still doing it so i read up a bit and suspected drop links (these look brand new)

cant really look at the track rod ends dont really fancy going to far under the car with a scissor jack and dont have any axle stands handy.

here is a video of it any ideas of what it could be?

i eliminated the possibility of wheel bearing by jacking it up getting my gf to hold the footbrake to see if it eliminated the play but it was still there and was told if it still moves when brake is on its not the bearing?

here is a video of it. any suggestions welcome before i throw more bits at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DK_OZNpI...e=youtu.be
Thanks given by:
It could well be the p-bush
Thanks given by:
What or where is the p bush?
Thanks given by:
It's the bush that connects the wishbone to the car and anti roll bar. It's the one closest to the rear of the car. It's a rubber bush where the casing is shaped like a P
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks for that I will investigate are they easy to change
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 02:14 PM)adamm306 Wrote: Ok thanks for that I will investigate are they easy to change

no . . lol . . .if you change the full wishbone with bushes then it is easy . . .expect to pay between £30-£70 per side depending on the quality you buy . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
brilliant.

thing is i told the guy at the garage to change the whole wishbone when the balljoint failed on the m.o.t

he then rang me and said the wishbone is fine and just did the balljoint and said ive saved you £30

hasnt really saved me anything now if it is the p bush that is fooked.
Thanks given by:
I'd check the hole the ball joint goes in to. It could have shaped to a oval so there isn't a tight join. Have a look at the ball joint wile some one wobbles wheel
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 03:53 PM)karl1989 Wrote: I'd check the hole the ball joint goes in to. It could have shaped to a oval so there isn't a tight join. Have a look at the ball joint wile some one wobbles wheel

checked the ball joint its all good.

before the balljoint was fixed i was also getting up and down play but the balljoint cured that
Thanks given by:
Okay, having gone back and watched the video now (was on my phone earlier), that doesn't look like a worn p-bush.

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but is the wheel properly done up, and is it seated flat against the hub?
Thanks given by:
yeah its all done up nice and tight ive had the wheel off and that

it feels like the actual hub is moving if that makes sense? its hard to explain

edit: its flat seated too
Thanks given by:
That's why I asked, it looks like that's the case. Is the hub nut done up properly? It should have a clip in the end (kind of like an R shape) which you'll be able to see when you've removed the wheel.
Thanks given by:
Yeah when i watched the vid back on the PC it looks completely different to phone it does look like a loose wheel and feels like it also.

when i finish work at 7 ill take the wheel off and investigate for this clip and report back

thanks Scott.
Thanks given by:
Thats a track rod end i reckon. Is only about £15 from ECP for a new one but they can be a bit of a bastard to do and you will need your tracking done after.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Thanks Niall.

I will check the hub when I get home and also examine the condition off the track rod end.

is there anyway to tell is a rod end is fooked by looking at it?
Thanks given by:
If you take the wheel off and try to move the hub you'll be able to see movement in it.

One other thing to check is that the bolts are in all the way and that they haven't become threaded or blocked (meaning they wouldn't be screwed in all the way).
Thanks given by:
Watch the TRE while someone else rocks the wheel....it should be solid with the hub, if its moving independently it's knackered...

Edit - Scott beat me lol...
Thanks given by:
awesome guys i will go take a look this evening and report back to you youve all been a massive help

thanks so much
Thanks given by:
As said in chat though, get yourself a jack and stands first mate!
Thanks given by:
lol yeah dont worry if i cant borrow my neighbours axles to check it tonight ill check it out tomorrow when im at krisb's with mark dont really fancy an XUD coming down on me
Thanks given by:
Ok guys went home jacked it up took the wheel off.

Track rod end is in good condition no splits etc doesnt move and is solid.

seems the brake disk if i pull on it is whats moving with the actual hub checked the clip in the hub bolt etc all seems normal so what could be this be ? a fooked hub?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ms04dPH1...e=youtu.be

skip to 14 seconds and you can clearly hear it (my bad i live on a main road)
Thanks given by:
Take the wheel off and take the disc off and make sure there is nothing behind it. it should be sitting flush to the hub.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ok no worries back out i go to remove the brake disk to see back soon
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 07:04 PM)Niall Wrote: Take the wheel off and take the disc off and make sure there is nothing behind it. it should be sitting flush to the hub.

This.

Interested to know what this is, its bugging me lol
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
The disk will move a bit with the wheel off, as it's only held in place by those 2 little screws, it depends on the wheel to hold it on.

I'd say TRE personally.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 04:58 PM)Niall Wrote: Thats a track rod end i reckon. Is only about £15 from ECP for a new one but they can be a bit of a bastard to do and you will need your tracking done after.

There not hard to do....
(msg sent from hell)

If i dont c ya threw week ill c ya threw window.
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 07:24 PM)pugjohn306 Wrote:
(16-08-2013, 04:58 PM)Niall Wrote: Thats a track rod end i reckon. Is only about £15 from ECP for a new one but they can be a bit of a bastard to do and you will need your tracking done after.

There not hard to do....

They are if the only tools you have is a spoon and a waffle iron.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 07:28 PM)Niall Wrote:
(16-08-2013, 07:24 PM)pugjohn306 Wrote:

There not hard to do....

They are if the only tools you have is a spoon and a waffle iron.

Fair bit over equipped there Niall don't you think?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I've found the culprit pics to when I get inside Wink
Thanks given by:
Oh do tell!!!