ZX of doom

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ZX of doom
New car, woooo!

Not going to put this in the project section because i'm determined not to mod this one, for a while at least. She's in pretty good nick, tiny bit of chassis rust, but it's nothing for these cars really. All the electrics work, which is actually a bit disconcerting, except for the ns mirror, although - looking at the manual adjuster on the driver's side - i'm not sure that's entirely the fault of the car...

Had it a couple of days now, so building a list of problems to sort. Various little bits like new ns mirror, blower fan, washer jet, etc to find next time i head over the scrappy.

More importantly she's got a bit of a starting issue... (to anyone that knows my other cars, i know what your thinking and FYC.) Have to crank it over 10-15 times before she'll fire, pretty sure that's just a dodgy grenade though; if I pump the grenade it won't go hard but will start on the 3rd/4th crank. Don't know about XUD's yet so not sure, that sound plausible to anyone else..?

Other main issue is what sounds like an epic boost leak, doesn't pull as well as i'd expect so hoping that's easily solved with a bit of new piping.

Will try and remember to get some pics up, although she's no looker lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The boost leak is probably the intercooled d-seal
Thanks given by:
That was going to be my first port of call, every time i see an XUD boost leak thread that's the answer lol.

No-one got any ideas on the difficult starting?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
i was "chasing" a zx over the backbone of the island yesterday, caught him at 60 ninja then started pushing him up a hill...
slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:i was "chasing" a zx over the backbone of the island yesterday, caught him at 60 ninja then started pushing him up a hill...

How is that even remotely helpful ? lol

Could be possible you have a/some broken glowplugs, might be worth taking them out to check?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Midnightclub Wrote:
ginge191 Wrote:i was "chasing" a zx over the backbone of the island yesterday, caught him at 60 ninja then started pushing him up a hill...

How is that even remotely helpful ? lol

Could be possible you have a/some broken glowplugs, might be worth taking them out to check?

he has a new ZX, there was a ZX out last night.. errm and thats about it (actually just trying to up my post count like a post whore ninja) whistle
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
FLOL at Ginge, didn't expect him to have something useful to add did you Danny?

It could possibly be the plugs, but i'd consider it pretty unlikely considering it doesn't miss at all when you first start it and it isn't any different when the engine's warm or i do the glow plugs three times before trying to start. Will have a look anyway when i get a spare moment, probably best to consider every option, cheers.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Think the plugs are easier to access once the top mounts off anyway and you need to remove that to replace the D seal so be worth doing, if the grenade doesn't go hard though you'll probably have an air leak somewhere but where that is i wouldn't know i'm afraid
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I would think that if your grenade thingy won't go hard and its a bastard to start then the one way valve in the grenade is buggered or you have an air leak,

When you pump the grenade does it feel like its doing anything? and can you hear a hissing noise when you pump it??

Another thing worth checking IMO would be if the fuel filter housing is sealed properly as an air leak there would also make it difficult to start! Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
^^^ When I had the same issue with the Sedan it was the fuel filter housing Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
There is a hissing noise when i pump it, but not when i let go. Doesn't feel like it's doing a huge amount tbh, have to pump like hell to make starting any easier. Will replace the grenade, if that doesn't work i'll have a good look at the filter housing and then fuel lines, cheers guys.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Don't test the glow plugs, just replace with boschs...simples Smile. As Chris said check d-seal first as only a few quid Smile
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
A wise choice of car!
Thanks given by:
James Wrote:A wise choice of car!
is that Mr Cromptons? . . . . . . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
i would think the starting problem isn't to do with the glow plugs but to do with air getting in the system. re-seal the fuel filter housing with silicone (make sure there is no fuel around either surface first) or get a new fuel filter with seal, check the leak-off pipes and all the fuel pipes for splits or cracking. the easiest way to check for leaks is to pump up the primer then keep pumping it after it goes hard and that should show any leaks. you can get replacement leak-off pipe from a decent motor factors with an end bung aswell
Thanks given by:
Lol @ James

**LDA pin Wink

Poodle, that sounds like a good plan Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
@ Ginge, ZX weighs around 80k lighter than the equivalent 306 Dturbo so will be faster if tuned. ( I have both)

OP, try changing the plugs and grenade. Give it a good service
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Hahah, Ginge got told! Tongue ^^^

Right, finally had a good look at her today, on more thorough inspection i'd say the grenade seems alright. Can definitely hear hissing/whistling when i pump the grenade, but can't seem to pinpoint it. :S Did notice one of the injectors had a fair bit of fuel welling up in the union and around the leak-off pipe, is it possible this could be the source of the leak..?

[Image: DSC01199.jpg]
[Image: DSC01200.jpg]

Oh, and think we may have found the boost leak, cheers to Dum-dum. Knackered much...?

[Image: DSC01198.jpg]

Just running down to the motor factors, if they've got a grenade and leak-off pipes going cheap i'll pick them up too, but not sure it'll fix the problem.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
looks like the unions are leaking, but that won't cause hissing; the pump delivery valves should've shut, keeping the injectors and unions totally isolated from the primer bulb....
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Balls, thought that might be the case. Have cleaned up the area so should be a bit easier to see any damp patches in future, hopefully i'll find something more useful when i go at it properly tomorrow.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Try checking around the bottom if the fuel filter housing.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
No pictures yet??
Thanks given by:
Oh yeah, sorry, will fix that later, just heading out now.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Jtrigga Wrote:Try checking around the bottom if the fuel filter housing.
what he said^^^^^^ also where the fuel pipe goes in at the bottom, round the back of the housing there is a little white dial looking thing, all 3 of my last housings have leaked from there, i ended up taking that white bit out, renewing the O ring and it's not leaked since, made a big difference, problem is there is a few places where air gets in on these cars, you cure one and it'll start coming in elsewhere, takes a little while to track them all down . . . . . .it's worth it though . . Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Replaced the grenade and d-seal, also a few of those stupid manufacturer clips with decent jubilees (couple weren't very tight) and she's already feeling better, pulls nicely now she's not pissing boost. The grenade was shagged btw, was working but leaked quite a bit back through the one-way valve. Just had her out for a run, so going to leave it for a couple of hours and see if she airs up again. Fingers crossed!

Haver discovered a couple more problems in the process though... I tried to undo the fuel-feed banjo to bleed the air out, but the bolt seems to be rusted onto it so it just bent the feed pipe slightly. :roll: Also, seems she develops a major misfire at 1500rpm on part throttle, any ideas?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
And pictures as promised, forgot again and had to run out after the last post cos i'm a fail lol.

[Image: DSC01207.jpg]
[Image: DSC01203.jpg]
[Image: DSC01205.jpg]
[Image: DSC01204.jpg]

Forgot to mention before, some bloody school-run mum in an A3 scraped it in the asda car park yesterday, went to hurry away before realising i was leant against the trolley shelter taking down her plate. I generously agreed to leave it be for £20, she paid up in cash there and then, which works for me LOL.

[Image: DSC01206.jpg]
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I like it lol 3 door versions look very nice, im looking for one!
Thanks given by:
Stealth when its boosting properly Smile
PH1 FTMFW!
Thanks given by:
Get a 306 front end on it lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm becoming a big fan of the chrome blingage on the bumpers
PH1 FTMFW!
Thanks given by: