Help! Bricked ECU

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! Bricked ECU
Exclamation 
Ethan has come over for me to stick a map on his car and the worst has happened. Is there anything we can do to get it running in the short term?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
how bricked, will the kwp still read?
Thanks given by:
Did it stop the transfer mid write?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
No the galetto wont read at all. Completed the write successfully, as normal, turmed ignition off for ten seconds, back on and tried t start. Wouldnt catch so tried to read, but ecu doesnt respond.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
After the write completed, did you hear like a click then the sound of something priming?

Unsure of galletto, but is there a 'slow' speed mode you can try and read with?
Thanks given by:
It's really odd, everything worked as normal, apart from the fact that the car won't start afterwards. Didn't hear the click and the pump priming actually, no.

No slow speed mode.

Going to unplug it for half an hour then try it with pp2k, see if i can make it do anything, but i'm not hopeful. Sad
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Every car i've ever written to has always made some sort of priming noise after the maps been written..

Hmm.. maybe something to do with the write speed then? On the KWP I've always had to write and read in slow mode because the 'fast' mode would only work on certain cars..

does it still crank over etc.. ? have you tried flashing the stock map after?

EDIT: I remember reading something before with gallettos, you can put it into a 'boot mode' to allow it to write over a bricked ECU
Thanks given by:
Yeah same, now i think about it.

This has worked fine every time for the last three years, i've applied more than thirty maps with this tool and laptop.

Still cranks over.

Won't accept the stock map.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Hmmm.. not sure tbh then mate, sounds f*cked :/

Might be something useful in here: http://www.ecuedit.com/recover-an-edc15c...400bt-t801

If 'boot mode' won't sort it, then the chip'll have to be unsoldered and programmed with an eeprom reader/writer
Thanks given by:
Yeah if you cant overwrite with the standard map then it sounds f*cked.

Are you sure all the pins on the OBD plug/socket are straight so its defo communicating.

AS your idea, disconnect the battery, give it half an hour and see what pp2k tells you.
Thanks given by:
Anyone nearby got a spare 3 pin I can use lol
[Image: IMG_4192edit.png]
Thanks given by:
No mate sorry. It'd need to be unlocked to work anyway cos of the immob anyway.

This bloke unlocked the ECU for the cab though and should be able to fix yours, really fast service too.
http://www.cartechelectronics.com/unlock-edc15c2
Thanks given by:
Not confident doing something that complex to someone else's ecu.

Checked all the pins on the tool, they're good.

Have been in contact with pro_steve, he's testing a new rig right now, but isn't ready to take customer's ecus.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(13-08-2013, 08:00 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: No mate sorry. It'd need to be unlocked to work anyway cos of the immob anyway.

Don't you just need the BSi and fob that came with the ECU?
Thanks given by:
His is a three-plug Chris, so £143.99 on that site.

And reading it, it's an unlock service, this needs repair/reflash.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I have a 3pin ecu set with one key
i could lone

YYou will find one closer though

Ecu doctor Plymouth
Thanks given by:
How would I go about loneing this from you buddy
Thanks given by:
come and collect it and leave a deposit
Thanks given by:
And where are you based ?
Thanks given by:
Collumpton /Devon
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
no chance then lol but thanks anyway :-)
Thanks given by:
What laptop were you using out of interest? Av software etc home computer?
Thanks given by:
Yeah, sadly, it's just a failed write... Literally could be something as random as Solar Eruptions causing interference - because it's just a byte stream with very little checking, it will just overwrite what's on there...

You could try the bootmode method, though as someone else has said on the forum, the 29f400bt chip I don't think has boot mode, I thought it was only the 29f400bb chips that did it... But I may be wrong...

Your best option as said is to remove the chip and reflash... Can you see if you can connect with pp2k - see if the immob says it's unlocked - because it's a 3 plug ECU, the immob isn't on a seperate flash chip, you can only write to the flash chip when the ECU is unlocked...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Novatech own-brand basic laptop, beem the most reliable ive ever had, battery is still good after three years. Genuine windows 7, used the software that came with the tool. A combo that has worked fine for 30+ maps before now. :/

Read my ecu with ot last night and it stil works fine with that. Fecks knows... Sad
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
My mate Scott came up with an idea, he has a remapped 3 pin ecu, try to get that synced with my car instead of trying to repair mine as it could be a cheaper option, would this work ? Say if I bought a kwp2000+ and tried uploading my map on to it
Thanks given by:
you need to match the bsi to the ecu with PP2000
and i think you need a virgin bsi and the security code for the ecu your trying to pair
Thanks given by:
Couldn't you just get another ECU with the BSi and keys and swap them in?
Thanks given by:
yes tom
Thanks given by:
Surely that'd be the easiest and cheapest way then?

I have a pre-mapped ECU here but it's 362 unfortunately.
Thanks given by:
Cully has explained it as I understand it - you'll need a new bsi and immob chip set to do it that way, will probably end up more expensive tbh.

Depends what your restricting factor is tbh - time or money. Toms option could be best if youre okay without the car and able to wait for a set to apear at a good price. Otherwise it's going to be quickest and least hassle to just get yours repaired.

Missed your reply before Ru, sorry. As Ethan saw last night, the copy of xp I have on the laptop has locked me out for no apparent reason, so I can no longer use pp2k... :|
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has my ECU bricked? madmadmax 7 2,569 17-09-2018, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Ruan