Why do i keep blowing.. giggedy.. switches

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do i keep blowing.. giggedy.. switches
I keep blowing my brake light switch after roo'boo pointed it out i had, yet again, no brake lights.

I must be on number 3 now, and getting bored of it happening.

The fuse is intact every time (25A) yet the switch keeps blowing?

any ideas? i buy ebay jobbies if it makes any difference.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
You sure it's not had a bigger fuse put in because it kept blowing *giggidy*

Eg should be 15a but suck in a 25a to stop it blowing and frying the switch instead?
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2013, 04:33 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: You sure it's not had a bigger fuse put in because it kept blowing *giggidy*

Eg should be 15a but suck in a 25a to stop it blowing and frying the switch instead?

nope, the 205 fuse box consists of 11? fuses - fuse #1 & #2 are both 25A fuses and match up to the car manual
Thanks given by:
Does the switch blow soon as you press brakes? Or does it work for a while before it dies?
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
It works for about 3 months or so..
Thanks given by:
Dont see how you "blow" a switch unless your pumping loads of current through it that its not designed for. Maybe the switches are just cheap tat and you have been unlucky with them! Any sign of damage on the old ones you have pulled out?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Nope not particularly; i don't get it; i don't want to be spending out bigger money for a possibly better switch if it's going to blow again.

Undecided
Thanks given by:
Nothing else is being supplied via the same switch is it?

The only other thing I can think of is if the switch isn't rated to 25A.
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Think you need to do some investigating before you go replacing the switch. Try taking the bulbs out the holders and see if there is any corrosion. If so, get some lighter fluid and clean it all off then try again Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(14-08-2013, 09:09 AM)Rich306 Wrote: Nothing else is being supplied via the same switch is it?

The only other thing I can think of is if the switch isn't rated to 25A.

Nope, nothing else through the switch. There's other appliances related to the fuses which the brake switch goes through. There're 2 fuses which relate to the brake lights, amongst half the other car Doh

(14-08-2013, 09:11 AM)Niall Wrote: Think you need to do some investigating before you go replacing the switch. Try taking the bulbs out the holders and see if there is any corrosion. If so, get some lighter fluid and clean it all off then try again Smile

Shall do ; i'll get a voltmeter on them when eli's home in case both bulbs have gone at the same time Doh

I'll give the plugs and bulb connections a good clean scrape up
Thanks given by:
Another thing that might cause the issue, it's potential that If you have a snagged/trapped cable this will cause issues.
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2013, 10:10 AM)Rich306 Wrote: Another thing that might cause the issue, it's potential that If you have a snagged/trapped cable this will cause issues.

which? how? where? Confused
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2013, 09:14 AM)ginge191 Wrote:
(14-08-2013, 09:11 AM)Niall Wrote: Think you need to do some investigating before you go replacing the switch. Try taking the bulbs out the holders and see if there is any corrosion. If so, get some lighter fluid and clean it all off then try again Smile

Shall do ; i'll get a voltmeter on them when eli's home in case both bulbs have gone at the same time Doh

I'll give the plugs and bulb connections a good clean scrape up

Cool easiest thing is to get a volt meter on the supply wire from the switch as far back as possible and see if you are getting 12v. If you are, you know the issue is with the plugs onto the board, the boards them selves or just bad luck and you have blown two bulbs at the same time!
Id also check earths although that wouldnt cause you to need 3 different switches Sad
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(14-08-2013, 10:16 AM)ginge191 Wrote:
(14-08-2013, 10:10 AM)Rich306 Wrote: Another thing that might cause the issue, it's potential that If you have a snagged/trapped cable this will cause issues.

which? how? where? Confused

Because extra current would need to be drawn through the cable.
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battery warning light/fuse keeps blowing.HELP Clump1298 8 1,762 03-09-2020, 08:21 AM
Last Post: ekjdm14
  Rear wiper blowing fuse 28 MattDanPug 5 2,431 22-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Front fog light bulbs blowing Tidoh2016 2 1,243 13-12-2016, 12:12 AM
Last Post: gurj306