Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam Fitting Guide
Here's a guide i wrote a few years ago, that was rapidly stolen by a well know 106owners club...

Cam fitment guide for all 16v TU engined cars... 8v are similar, as are 99% of other engines.

As always you tackle this at your own risk, you follow this guide and end up bending your valves, don't come crying to me, or anyone associated with [insert club name here]... You f*ck up it's you fault!

I'm doing mine with the head already removed from the engine, but its easy enough to do in the car, just remove the cam belt and take it from there...

REMOVAL

1. Remove Cam covers, and Ignition pack from on top of the head... if you can't handle this on your own... don't carry on!

2. You'll be then looking at something along the lines of this...
[Image: SL701397-vi.jpg]

3. Take a closer look at either cam, nearest the pulley end, you'll see a squared off section like this...
[Image: SL701398-vi.jpg]

4. Use a 24mm spanner to hold the cam in position like so...
[Image: SL701399-vi.jpg]

5. While holding the cam in place, undo the pulley bolt...
[Image: SL701400-vi.jpg]

6. Pulleys will now (with gentle pursuasion) will come off... now remove the back cam cover plate thing...
[Image: SL701401-vi.jpg]

7. You will then be faced with dredded oil seals (the orange rings)
[Image: SL701402-vi.jpg]

8. Easiest way i've found to remove the seals is to drill a small hole, and screw in a self tapping screw, in two different places in the harder outer section of the seal, then pull them out with pliers...
[Image: SL701403-vi.jpg]

9. And out...
[Image: SL701404-vi.jpg]

10. Now remove all the cam housing bolts... on the TU5J4 engine they are hex headed, 206's are 10mm heads
[Image: SL701405-vi.jpg]

11. Now you'll be faced with this...
[Image: SL701406-vi.jpg]

12. Pull the top housings out, they seal they with instant gasket in the factory which tends to get everywhere...

13. Cams will now just lift out! (see wasn't that hard now was it)

14. Now give the mating faces a good clean up... needs to be spotless though

15. Like so... but dont scratch either surface!
[Image: SL701415-vi.jpg]

16. Now if your stripping the head down (i'm only replacing followers so thats all i'll show you how to do!) Easiest way to pull followers out is using a suction cup thing... or pirates ammo from my last fancy dress party!
[Image: SL701413-vi.jpg]
Removal Done

REFITTING

1. Drop your new cam into place, making sure you've not got inlet and exhaust confused! And Run a bead of instant gasket along both mating faces... And yes i have painted the head cause i'm a whore like that
[Image: SL701448-vi.jpg]

2. Now if Camlube is supplied with your cams, use that but if not don't waste your money... a little trick i learnt a while back was to use gearbox oil! Soak the bearing housings and cams in the stuff for the initial run in...

3. Drop the housing into place, and tighten all bolts... but only finger tight for now...
[Image: SL701449-vi.jpg]

4. Now tighten the bolts to their first torque setting (5nm on the TU5J4)... working in order from the centre out...

5. Once you've done the lot to the 1st setting... do the same again to the second setting (10nm on the TU5J4)

6. Now to tackle the dredded oil seal yet again...

7. Lube the new seal up with clean oil... be generous!

8. Slide it onto the base of the taper...
[Image: SL701451-vi.jpg]

9. Use a nice big socket (i've found 38mm upwards works well) to drift the seal into location
[Image: SL701454-vi.jpg]

10. You may need to use a thinner tube to push it all the way in

11. To refit Standard pulleys (first turn the bottom end through a 1/4 turn so all pistons are at 1/2 stroke) and turn cams so the inlet cam has the notch at around 7 o'clock, and exhaust to 8 o'clock... luckily for me the CatCam pulleys have a locator lug on them so i can do it afterwards!
[Image: SL701456-vi.jpg]

12. Refit Inner Cambelt Cover

13. Refit Pulleys

14. Et Volia!
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge for prime minister.
Poodle Wrote:I reckon Norledge has got it on the head mind.
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge gets my vote tbh.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guide: Lynx Rotrex SuperCharger Fitting Guide Eeyore 0 1,478 18-03-2016, 11:34 AM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Guide; GTi6 Spliter Fitting Dum-Dum 4 5,266 08-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Last Post: woody90
  GUIDE: Fitting Upper & Lower Strut Braces Eeyore 39 28,694 29-03-2015, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Rippthrough