Running hot.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running hot.
Ever since i have had my car, nearly a year now, its always ran hot, it has always been up near 90. I changed the thermostat a few months ago (motorfactor one) headgasket was done few weeks back, and im currently running with no grill and a slimline fan so literally all the rad is exposed, i thought i would have trouble warming it up. When im grannying around it sits literally half way between 90 and 70 (lower than normal) but i had a bit of a hoon this morning when some chav came flying up behind me, got to another village so slowed down again i looked down and the gauge is over 90 more like 95 i would of though, it dropped off again in a few seconds but still scared the shit out of me. What do we think is wrong?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Nothing is wrong..
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I'd imagine it runs hotter due to the previous owners hair creating an everlasting heat throughout the car
Scotts gti experiences the same issues
Thanks given by:
(12-08-2013, 02:01 PM)vlj Wrote: I'd imagine it runs hotter due to the previous owners hair creating an everlasting heat throughout the car
Scotts gti experiences the same issues

lmao

it's normal for a DT to heat up pretty quickly when having a hoon - i can be on a motorway, temp sits at 80 (with an aftermarket temp sensor), i can boot it in 5th, play around for a bit, no coal, and it'll happily hit 90/95/ nearly 100, until slowing down, fans on, til it hits idle temps.

When engines compress fuel/air, it creates heat. Heat is a product of compression. When you're accelerating, hard, you compress a hell of a lot more than an idling/cruising car. You can't/won't cool the engine enough on standard rad/fans/intercooling. Heat is inevitable and raising temps by 10*C when on a hoon is not an uncommon thing; if it didn't heat up, that's when i'd be concerned.
Thanks given by:
What condition is the read in? I had the same symptoms with a rad that looked fine but it wasn't until it started leaking water that I found it was nearly rusted through on half the fins. Once I changed the rad it sat just above the line after the 70. Try and have a poke around with a screwdriver to see if it is solid.
Thanks given by:
Ally rad so no rust issues here!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
mines does the same but my fans arnt working at the mo i need new relays for the rads then its going to be wired up to ac switch
Thanks given by:
It took me a huge 10l, 4core custom made rad, oil cooler and front mount intercooler to keep an XUD cool for sustained hooning!

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
It does seem a little high even given what people above have said
I did have a similar issue
Bled the system
Replaced stat and new rad

Turns out it just wasn't bled properly.
Once it was however it did drop for the most part.
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I am having a similar problem this last month. It used to sit just past the line after 70 but now it seems to sit halfway between the line and 90 during cruising and sometimes for no reason will go up to nearly 90 and then back down to between the line and 90 again. Dodgy stat?
Thanks given by:
Hot weather won't help
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
the gospel according to Matt is as follows; under tame driving they should sit at just over 80 . . . . .when you're on blow for a good while they should rise to just above 90 and stay there, going back down if you ease off for a while. (on a heavy stage 1 tuned xud) . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
There is no 80 mark on the phase 1 gauges though matt. On just over 90 is where the fans cut in so I am not so sure about that.
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2013, 06:48 AM)306Puggy Wrote: There is no 80 mark on the phase 1 gauges though matt. On just over 90 is where the fans cut in so I am not so sure about that.

I'll give you a clue; it's the mark 'around' half way between 70 and 90
Thanks given by:
Oh yeah I seem to remember having this discussion on another thread. For some reason the line is not in the middle which gets me confused sometimes. It is closer to the 70 which always made me think it was 75 for some stupid reason! Thanks ginge191, you have been surprisingly less vicious recently!
Thanks given by:
about 80 for me...then up the long huge hill from gloucester back to chippy last night for instance, embarrass a mini cooper, and get to top and its at 92. mind thats 1mile at least of full boost in 4th.
1mile later down the road, all back to normal.

its all normal. its guna get hot in warm weather when boosting!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
My general rule of thumb with the XUD was to not let it go over 90 on the "stock gauge" as thats where they cause problems.

Its not acaully normally 90 tho, as that gauge is chronically un accurate from what I noticed!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2013, 07:18 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: My general rule of thumb with the XUD was to not let it go over 90 on the "stock gauge" as thats where they cause problems.

Its not acaully normally 90 tho, as that gauge is chronically un accurate from what I noticed!

yeah, hit 100 on the gauge, as I found, and you will cook something.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: