Electric inline pump

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric inline pump
what psi should i be looking at? how many litres per hour?
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Not got a calculator? Tongue

Shouldn't think psi matters too much, as long as it's above atmospheric. I assume this is to avoid starvation/cavitation issues?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
It is indeed, needs to be high enough flow to fuel high up, but not too high to mess things up.
Thanks given by:
Standard hdi lift pump? And regulate the voltage to it to reduce the flow if its too much and starts messing with advance timing.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Will be keeping an eye on this cos I think it might be a help for running veg. I started doing some research on it though, Darren did / does use one, but I remember people saying that it does mess with you IPP which in turn messes with your advance. I never got round to finishing my research to see what the best option was though!
On a slightly different but similar note..anyone ever experiment with different vane pumps? There had been talk of a 6 blade pump but not sure if anything ever came of it.
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
oh you bin talking to luke i guess cos hes done this lol
[Image: mintsig.jpg]
STAGE2 XUD DEAD ATM ENGINE REBUILD
GARRET T2-BOSCH PUMP-GROUNDED LDA PIN-GOV MOD-FMIC-STRAIT THRU STAINLESS EXHAUST SYSTEM
COMING SOON TD04 Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Another option could be a header tank in the bay?
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I seriously doubt you have any need for a lift pump in your setup kyle tbh....

Deffo dont run a hdi one, there way underpowered for any XUD application, anything over 4k and 200hp and you way out flow it....

You will need a super high flow external diesel pump and swirl pot for good effect...but will make no odds at all on your car if im honest? Only time you need them is when your revving them hard....any normal rpm range will be fine for chronic power with just the vane pump...provided your fuel system is free and clear...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Hmm im going to be searching for anywhere that might be letting air in anyway aswell as changing all 4 injectors as mine leak and i think one might be dying, going to run an inline filter too, to eliminate the housing letting in air, stu, no a lift pump has been in my mind since i put the 11mm pump on back in like august or something.
Thanks given by:
darrenjlobb Wrote:I seriously doubt you have any need for a lift pump in your setup kyle tbh....

Deffo dont run a hdi one, there way underpowered for any XUD application, anything over 4k and 200hp and you way out flow it....

You will need a super high flow external diesel pump and swirl pot for good effect...but will make no odds at all on your car if im honest? Only time you need them is when your revving them hard....any normal rpm range will be fine for chronic power with just the vane pump...provided your fuel system is free and clear...

So you don't recon one is needed at all then pre 200bhp. I have been really looking into this, got a random one here I have been playing with. I'm sure I am getting starvation issues after 5-5.5krpm, it wants to go but just hesitates and doesnt pull as strong that far up. (Could be the gov needing more shimms but not sure)
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
simple things first Kyle, you say your injectors are leaking, have you tried changing the seals and washers and leakoff pipe yet? . . .
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
talk to luke padge hes got one on his he said his runs alot better with it on
[Image: mintsig.jpg]
STAGE2 XUD DEAD ATM ENGINE REBUILD
GARRET T2-BOSCH PUMP-GROUNDED LDA PIN-GOV MOD-FMIC-STRAIT THRU STAINLESS EXHAUST SYSTEM
COMING SOON TD04 Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Hes comming over my end at 7, leakoff pipes are new, and pug are useless at ordering stuff for injectors.
Thanks given by:
padge Wrote:Hes comming over my end at 7, leakoff pipes are new, and pug are useless at ordering stuff for injectors.
well you'll need some for your new injectors anyway so change the copper washers first innit . . .
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
BMW 325 TD's run an in tank lift pump and these flow up to about 250bhp, could look at one of those (or one of the upgraded ones)
Thanks given by:
londondan86 Wrote:
darrenjlobb Wrote:I seriously doubt you have any need for a lift pump in your setup kyle tbh....

So you don't recon one is needed at all then pre 200bhp. I have been really looking into this, got a random one here I have been playing with. I'm sure I am getting starvation issues after 5-5.5krpm, it wants to go but just hesitates and doesnt pull as strong that far up. (Could be the gov needing more shimms but not sure)

You run a T2 - revving past 4500rpm is farily pointless anyway, at least, your pump is going to deliver MORE than enough fuel in it's stock way to fuel a T2 to long past melting it...

Put it this way, my car doesn't need a lift pump, yes I'm running far less RPMs, but you shouldn't need one... Putting pressure into a VE pump COMPLETELY cocks them, it should be a last resort IMO. So unless you're swirl potting it, don't bother. And as Darren says, HDi lift pumps are useless past 200hp, if not before then TBH, the amount of fuel the VE bypasses is WAY more than a HDi, and the HDis have seen issues past 200hp, sort of 220hp, they're needing bigger pumps.

IMO before even touching lift pumps, you need to see what's actually going on, whether you're actually starving of fuel, by having an Internal Pump Pressure gauge... Only then will you know what's going on.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
If you need to have a lift pump, you have too much restriction to be honest. Run bigger pipes, and let the pump pull what it needs.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:You run a T2 - revving past 4500rpm is farily pointless anyway, at least, your pump is going to deliver MORE than enough fuel in it's stock way to fuel a T2 to long past melting it...

Put it this way, my car doesn't need a lift pump, yes I'm running far less RPMs, but you shouldn't need one... Putting pressure into a VE pump COMPLETELY cocks them, it should be a last resort IMO. So unless you're swirl potting it, don't bother. And as Darren says, HDi lift pumps are useless past 200hp, if not before then TBH, the amount of fuel the VE bypasses is WAY more than a HDi, and the HDis have seen issues past 200hp, sort of 220hp, they're needing bigger pumps.

IMO before even touching lift pumps, you need to see what's actually going on, whether you're actually starving of fuel, by having an Internal Pump Pressure gauge... Only then will you know what's going on.

Spot on mate! Good info, Cheers. I wasnt planning on increasing the pump pressure, just maintaining the same pressure throughout the rev range, but I see you point, without a gauge it will be near impossible to regulate.

An idea on the bench for now then!!!!

Edit: @Dave. Bigger pipes all the way to the tank? Will the ve cope with this or would it just start sucking the pipes thin?

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
What Ruan was saying is that if you fit a lift pump then it will force fuel into the injector pump at pressure which will make a complete arse of the pump timing and the advance mechanism settings Wink
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:What Ruan was saying is that if you fit a lift pump then it will force fuel into the injector pump at pressure which will make a complete arse of the pump timing and the advance mechanism settings Wink

Yea I get what he is saying. Cheers Mark. Its just one of those things you dont think about until you can see if for your self or someone explains.

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
As said before, stock pipes are fine for 200hp tbh, but yeh restriction occurs when pulling fuel quickly through a narrow pipe. The bigger the pipe the less speed the fuel will travel and the less restriction occurs, as long as the pipes are hard shelled, like nylon pipe, they wont crush. Easier entrance to pump is key Smile dont run a pump though, anything enough to make a difference at 5k will just totally shit everything up lower down once the demand is lowered.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Dave Wrote:As said before, stock pipes are fine for 200hp tbh, but yeh restriction occurs when pulling fuel quickly through a narrow pipe. The bigger the pipe the less speed the fuel will travel and the less restriction occurs, as long as the pipes are hard shelled, like nylon pipe, they wont crush. Easier entrance to pump is key Smile dont run a pump though, anything enough to make a difference at 5k will just totally shit everything up lower down once the demand is lowered.

Enough said!!!! Cheers guys makes sense now. (Idea removed from the bench and placed in the bin)!

Ill get on to some fuel line now.

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  inline fuel filter? Iaitoo 5 1,490 15-11-2015, 10:41 AM
Last Post: Iaitoo
  Swapping to an inline filter Matt 25 5,624 14-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Matt