EGT fitted but not working

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EGT fitted but not working
Got the EGT probe fitted to the turbo and got it all wired up etc. Had the car running for a good 15mins and the gauge doesn't move. The gauge I got starts at 300 and it just stays on the stop. Anyone help me out with this? How long should it take till the gauge should start to read higher?

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks given by:
Short the 2 wires going into the sensor and check if your gauge is working. I dont know what temp it should be at but this will check your gauge anyway.
Thanks given by:
Ok cheers. When we disconnected the 2 signal wires that go from the probe to the gauge the gauge does go up and then back down so I dunno if that is a sign the gauge is working ok
Thanks given by:
I wouldnt of thought that was enought temperature. You'd need to drive it and load it up to make some heat.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
You'll have to drive it to get it to move mate!
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
As already said, it wont move just sat idling in the shop, infact it will hardly move during normal driving, only really when you get up on boost will it start to move, and itl take 1-2 seconds to react due to thermocouple needing to heat up / cool down etc.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
or remove the sensor from the exhust and heat it with a blowtorch to test the gauge is working Wink
Thanks given by:
Might have to take it for a drive then but don't want to go driving it to hard as it need running in
Thanks given by:
Best way to bed a new motor down is drive her hard! in spells anyways, deffo dont granny it!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(10-08-2013, 04:21 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Best way to bed a new motor down is drive her hard! in spells anyways, deffo dont granny it!

I best get it finished and on the road then Smile
Thanks given by:
Mine used to sit at 150ish on idle from cold, and about 250-300 cruising at 60 depending on tune and hills
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
So it's not ideal having 1 that starts at 300 then
Thanks given by:
Well it will still show the high figures which are more important to know.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2013, 06:24 PM)Ricky Wrote: Well it will still show the high figures which are more important to know.

Yeah so why we on the subject what temp should I start to worry at?
Thanks given by:
I personally think prolonged temps over 700 degrees is brave. If you have never used one of these gauges before you will be shocked at how quickly it can get hot.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2013, 08:46 PM)Ricky Wrote: I personally think prolonged temps over 700 degrees is brave. If you have never used one of these gauges before you will be shocked at how quickly it can get hot.

^^This, 700 has been my magic marker, even then it can survive peaking at over 700 but not for long. Put your foot down for a pull and it'll shoot up, but as long as you're not running a smokey tune with your foot planted in 4th up a hill, prolonged heat is what kills things.

Mine sits between 2-300 for town driving, 3-400 on a motorway and hits 7-800 by the time i've done a long pull in 3rd or 4th. I need a bigger exhaust though, and i've got a slight boost leak.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I echo the above really ^, altho id say 800 is generally ok...that said, it partly depends on turbo...

In my experience nothing acaully melts / shits itself until its over 1000, but thats not to say your not doing any harm...ally heads and extreme heat are always a recipe for epic fail!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 07:52 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: I echo the above really ^, altho id say 800 is generally ok...that said, it partly depends on turbo...

In my experience nothing acaully melts / shits itself until its over 1000, but thats not to say your not doing any harm...ally heads and extreme heat are always a recipe for epic fail!

I have a turbo that apparently has a CHRA shaft make from a cocktail stick so i'm uber careful lol
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I does work Smile It went up to about 500 when I drove it the other day
Thanks given by:
Bit of a bump on this old thread to save making a new one. My egt gauge has stopped working since i put the car back on the road, I'm not sure if its a sensor issue or the gauge. Is there a way of testing to find out which is playing up?
Thanks given by:
short wires to each other. its been said above. Smile

also not running an egt in my new one. really should
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(11-04-2016, 07:18 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: short wires to each other. its been said above. Smile

also not running an egt in my new one. really should

Have tried that and gauge not moved at all. I guess with shorting the wires together the gauge should go to max?

Looks like a new gauge is needed then maybe Sad
Thanks given by:
yeah should go to the max
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I didn't use to worry until about 1,100 for more than 5 seconds or so, but was a fairly large turbo so would wear the heat better.

Regularly seeing 1000+ with a GT2260V, I did a long pull shuffing smoke for 30+ seconds and slightly warped/melted the tips slight, probably saw 1200 degrees here, not recommended - strong turbo probably very close to shitting self and pants.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by: