Getting wires into the door

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting wires into the door
Right I've sat here all afternoon with autodata working out the wiring for my next project but now I've hit my final problem (I hope!)
How can you get wires through the door and into the body? All I need to do is run two 10amp wires from the drivers door through to the passenger door. I know there is a sealed plug where the loom goes into the door. What I am planning here is to take the two wires out of the rubber sheath and drill a small hole above the plug, put a grommet in and run them through there. Problem I can see though is how do I get them out the other end seeing as its right up behind the dash? I don't want to have to take the dash out!
Any ideas?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Could you not get in by taking the fuse board out?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:Could you not get in by taking the fuse board out?
I've heard you can take the fuse box out but it's a right PITA.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Just keep pushing wire through til it falls on the floor then you know where it comes out? If thats what you ment... If not i'll get my coat haha
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
tomw1123 Wrote:Just keep pushing wire through til it falls on the floor then you know where it comes out? If thats what you ment... If not i'll get my coat haha

Here's your coat. Doors over there. Lol

There is grommets on either side of the body so I need to be able to see it to Pearce through the grommets.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I guess it one of those uncomfortable, cramp filled jobs where you lie upside down with a torch and your arm up the back of the dash Sad
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
can you attach string to a wire already in the door and then pull the wire/string back in to the car, once the string's in the car then attach it to the required wires and pull back through to the door ???
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
I had to run speaker wires for my comps the other day, and just used some battery cable and wiggled it and go it through. Then tied the speaker wire onto the end...
[Image: Signature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I told you, the easiest way to get them through is with the dash out. It is possible without doing so, but it might take many hours of faffing about, and perhaps having no bones in your hand to aid flexibility will help.

We tried this with my old car remember? The passenger side was OK, not easy, but do-able, but the drivers is a pain in the arse because there is a support bar for the dashboard right in the way where the wiring comes through... We never got the wires through that side...
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
We didn't try. We gave up after 10 minutes like we do with everything!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
having come to the conclusion that the french designed it stupidly enough that it could not be done, thus meaning we could have done it better.

Plus I spent an evening trying it when you weren't there, and for the life of my i couldnt find the hole, let alone get anything in it, to any satisfaction.
And if you take that out of context you are wrong in the head

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Grant Wrote:Plus I spent an evening trying it when you weren't there, and for the life of my i couldnt find the hole, let alone get anything in it, to any satisfaction.
LOL Grant, story of your life?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
No phil, i never reach the opportunity of being able to. Special occasions and anniversaries only.

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  drivers door loom wires pug306driver 3 1,518 27-11-2016, 06:29 PM
Last Post: BiG K
Photo radio wires rosylyn 3 1,394 31-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Toms306