Stupid 205!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stupid 205!
Whoever owned my 205 before me is a retard!

Both strut top mounts so ducking tight there's no way they are ever coming of, so now need new to mounts to add to the list Sad
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
Whizzy gun ftw
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Ah the joys of French ownership! At least it cost next to nothing for parts eh!?

I don't think I realised how cheap XUDs / old french motors / 205's / 306's / etc were to maintain and upgrade until the S14 came along lol!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Well the bilsteins and springs all came to about £40 if I have to get new top mounts they will be around £60 Sad

Can't see how a whizzy gun will help as surely will just spin without the Allen being held?
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2013, 07:35 AM)kernow_joe Wrote: Can't see how a whizzy gun will help as surely will just spin without the Allen being held?
I always do this, with the car on the floor gun the big nut a couple of turns and 90% of the time it'll undo rather than spin. f*ck knows how cos before I did it I'd always thought it would spin too.
Thanks given by:
last time i did some tight top mounts i used a rubber strap wrench to hold the damper and got the top off with white vinegar and a rattle gun,

or if you fancy doing it the harder way, drill the nut at the top, chisel and split it off the threads
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2013, 07:44 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(08-08-2013, 07:35 AM)kernow_joe Wrote: Can't see how a whizzy gun will help as surely will just spin without the Allen being held?
I always do this, with the car on the floor gun the big nut a couple of turns and 90% of the time it'll undo rather than spin. f*ck knows how cos before I did it I'd always thought it would spin too.

Its all off the car at the moment, will it work in a vice do you reckon or needs the car weight to help stop spinning a bit more? as only need the top mounts off the struts to put on my new ones. Getting annoyed with not being able to drive it now!
Thanks given by:
id assumed the weight helped.
Thanks given by:
I had this issue on the golf, and the 106, and one of the 306s lol.....if you lean the gun slightly to one side it gives it some pressure to work against (you'll feel/hear the impacts) holding it straight with no pressure off the car it will probably just spin.

Obviously be careful of the damaging the nut if you're re-using it. I also leave the spring under 'slight' tension to start it off so that gives some more pressure. Remember to compress it more when the nut is started though obviously lol.
Thanks given by:
Tried a hammer?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2013, 08:18 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: Tried a hammer?

I was working on the car, silly question I think Liam!

(08-08-2013, 08:13 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I had this issue on the golf, and the 106, and one of the 306s lol.....if you lean the gun slightly to one side it gives it some pressure to work against (you'll feel/hear the impacts) holding it straight with no pressure off the car it will probably just spin.

Obviously be careful of the damaging the nut if you're re-using it. I also leave the spring under 'slight' tension to start it off so that gives some more pressure. Remember to compress it more when the nut is started though obviously lol.

compress the spring you say?

think I may be able to get access to a gun, will hopefully get it sorted and not kill my bank Smile
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2013, 08:27 AM)kernow_joe Wrote: compress the spring you say?

think I may be able to get access to a gun, will hopefully get it sorted and not kill my bank Smile

Well I hope you're already compressing the spring if you're trying to get the top mount off... Confused

Just leave it a bit tensioned to start though.

Also, your local garage will probably whip the nut off if you cant or can't get a gun... Mine did it for free before I bought my gun lol.
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2013, 08:34 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Well I hope you're already compressing the spring if you're trying to get the top mount off... Confused

Also, your local garage will probably whip the nut off if you cant or can't get a gun... Mine did it for free before I bought my gun lol.

Don't worry I was taking the piss ..

got to go pick the 306 up after its mot today or tomorrow so will take the struts down at the same time see what he can do
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2013, 08:41 AM)kernow_joe Wrote:
(08-08-2013, 08:34 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Well I hope you're already compressing the spring if you're trying to get the top mount off... Confused

Don't worry I was taking the piss ..

got to go pick the 306 up after its mot today or tomorrow so will take the struts down at the same time see what he can do

Lol, I'm never sure after seeing what some people do! lol
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2013, 08:53 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Lol, I'm never sure after seeing what some people do! lol

imagine that post tomorrow, 'how do you remove a lowering spring ... from my eye?' Confused
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid stupid car trends....is it just localised??? Craig-o 47 11,329 01-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Last Post: declantg