Smoky 1.9 DT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoky 1.9 DT
Hi guys

Just of recent I have noticed that my 1.9 DT seems to smoke a fair bit out of the exhaust.

I can see it at night time in the rear view mirror when other cars' headlights are on behind me. But I have started to notice it during the daytime, particularly when accelerating.

It is not black smoke, it's a whiteish colour (looks like a cloud basically) and if I boot it off the lights in first then you notice it instantly. If I'm sat cruising at about 60 or so on the motorway then it isn't there, but if I put my foot down to accelerate fairly hard then it's there again.

Doesn't have any problems starting in the morning, seems to run fine, no loss of power (actually pulls well up to 100) and idles fine.

As I say, if I'm cruising and taking it easy then it's not there (or not noticeable) but when I'm accelerating from lights, on a motorway, or up a sliproad then you can see the clouds behind me, so I'm trying to drive really carefully and steadily at the moment as not to leave everyone behind me in clouds of smoke!

What could it be? Someone mentioned that I should check my EGR valve and perhaps clean it out. Does my engine have an EGR valve?

Would appreciate any suggestions Smile

Ash
Opinions are like bumholes. Everyone has one, and we all think everyone elses stinks.
Thanks given by:
Sure the pump hasnt been 'played' with?
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Not as far as I'm aware (at least in my ownership), completely standard car. Lucas pump.
Opinions are like bumholes. Everyone has one, and we all think everyone elses stinks.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Running hot and smoky - turbo at fault? juz22 1 984 24-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Last Post: juz22
  rough idle very smoky blinkyeatu 3 1,091 03-07-2015, 03:01 PM
Last Post: blinkyeatu