Turbo questions GT17, hybrids

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbo questions GT17, hybrids
basicly im after a bit of advice on this one.

ive managed to source a gt17 of a saab engine its in good working order and its of a mate so i can get it cheap got all the manifold and everything with it aswell.

so the main qustion im asking is shell i hybrid it and merge a gt15 housing with the gt17 parts give a company like turbo dynamics to transfer the good parts.

or do i bolt the gt17 stright on to it, ajust wastegate to control boost pressure and away we go.

or should i not waste my time with the gt17 and go 22 or 25 and bigger.. but please consider cost in to this one aswell is it worth paying the extra? as the 25 isent cheap,

and will i see much gain from a 17? or shell i put the 17 on and then upgrade again from there since i can get it for basicly next to nothing.
Thanks given by:
Which gt17 is it? If it's a gt1749 it'll make next to no difference (see Ruan's post on designations for garrett turbos), in fact Peugeot list it as an alternative replacement part for 306 HDi's these days. GT15's are widely considered to be too small to be worth hybridising.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thanks for the info, i will try and find the thread on it now, ive just text my mate hes going to find out the code on the turbo, but lookin at the lists of what they was installed with looks like a gt1752? but i will get the proper number when he gets home.
Thanks given by:
i was right just got a text back its a gt1752
Thanks given by:
Hybridding a GT1752 isn't a bad idea, they should be a good turbo...

However, unless you put it into a different housing, the exhaust housing is too big, they're designed for a 2.0 Turbo petrol at low boost, so they have a big housing to compensate... I know a chap that put one on a DT and it had a really high boost threshold, but wasn't LAGGY if you get what I mean...

Came in late, but once it had started, it's instant. I'd personally try getting a GT2052S, less restrictive turbine, smaller housing...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:Hybridding a GT1752 isn't a bad idea, they should be a good turbo...

However, unless you put it into a different housing, the exhaust housing is too big, they're designed for a 2.0 Turbo petrol at low boost, so they have a big housing to compensate... I know a chap that put one on a DT and it had a really high boost threshold, but wasn't LAGGY if you get what I mean...

Came in late, but once it had started, it's instant. I'd personally try getting a GT2052S, less restrictive turbine, smaller housing...

thanks for the info ruan, and yeah thats the turbo, it did come off a petrol and low boost, thing is this turbo im basicly getting next to nothing, im not going to go massive power ranges but a good 150 and a bit and a big boost and ill be happy, if its capable then i will go for it, what i dont wanna do is put it on and go... mehh its made no diffrance.
Thanks given by:
Could you not put it into a gt15 hotside machined out to fit the compresser wheel.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Bottom turbo pipe (updated with pics) questions added highwayman306 15 3,674 02-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Last Post: fgrc76
  Lets talk hybrids dr_jekyll 54 14,750 09-06-2015, 12:59 PM
Last Post: deggerz
  IHI turbo questions.. Matt-Rallye 7 1,757 15-08-2014, 07:53 AM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye