how to diagnose top engine mount

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to diagnose top engine mount
Alright guys just wondering how I check the state of my top engine mount as I think its going.

When I move off I get a small clunk when I let the clutch out and the same when I change gear at low revs.

How do I check if its the culprit?
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Wedge something between it and the cradle and go for a drive. If the clunk's gone, there's your problem. Then leave the wedged thing there forever and enjoy your homebrew uprated engine mount.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
What you mean by the cradle mate, know its a stupid question but I've never had an engine mount off lol
Thanks given by:
If you look at the top engine mount from above, you'll see two triangular sections of the rubber, one pointing towards the front of the car, and one to the rear. To wedge it you need to find something that will fit between these and the actual chassis of the car to stop the forwards/backwards movement of the mount.

It's a total bodge but done well it stops the movement that causes the knocking, especially if the cradle (the bit the mount winds into) is cracked.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I hope its not cracked, my cambelt is getting done very soon so I'm guessing that would be a good time to inspect.
Thanks given by:
Just fyi, worth checking the condition of your roll restrictor (aka bottom mount) as this can cause similar issues.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
If you grab the top of the engine and rock it back and forwards if theres alot of movement (and possibly that clunk) itll make it easy to diagnose.
Thanks given by:
So guys anyone can tell me where is best to get a new top engine mount me what kind of price I'm looking at?
Thanks given by:
For me it would be Peugeot or baker bm depending on if you want harder or not and they are both about the same price
Thanks given by:
Well I was going to go for a powerflex bottom mount. Does the bakerbm top mount make it much harder? also how do you change it? any guides?
Thanks given by:
Just to update this the mechanic said the top mount was fine when he did the cambelt. Am I looking at the lower one then? Its knocks a wee bit on start up and when you turn her off
Thanks given by:
Probably, yes.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
And theirs a guide for the bottom mount in the guides section Smile
Thanks given by:
I'm not being funny buddy, but you can't tell whether a top engine mount has gone just by 'looking at it'. Ideally you'd need to take the mount off and inspect the cradle for any cracks such as below on mine:

[Image: IMG_1225_zps6939751b.jpg]

This crack causes my engine to shake the car more and has been temporarily sorted by having a plate put in behind the rubber shield.
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Yeah i know mate that's why I asked him to check the cradle buy he seemed to thinks okay but tbh thinking now I'd be better checking myself
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gearbox engine mount DeeTurbo 15 2,861 17-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  So today I went to change an engine mount... jordanhdi 8 3,429 11-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Mattcheese31
  Lower engine mount dimensions highwayman306 15 3,405 23-05-2015, 07:23 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard